Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Generator?

We have a 2018 3731FL Montana and inquiring about what size of generator we need.The only time we need one is during the evening when we stop preferably at a Super Walmart lot while traveling to and from our destination.At most we only need one AC running or furnace depending what time of year TV and some lights.Where ever we will be going we will have full 50 amp hookup.
We are definetly going with a Honda for reliability.I see there are different types..inverter etc.and not familiar with what for our rv.

Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
IF YOU WANT A/C YOU NEED ATLEAST 3000 WATT +. furance and A/C are two totally different animals!

To just run a TV and a couple of things (NOT A/C) just get a 2200 honda. Or a used older model 2000 watt. If you want A/C get that and a companion. (two lite weight) OR just one big generator.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Also, if you're planning on whipping out a portable generator in a Walmart lot you should also think about a way to secure it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
If you go with the two small inverter generators you might want to also check out Yamahas. They have a great reliability record and you can buy two identical units and both come with the extra parallel cord. Right now at Costco you can pick them up for 500.00 a piece. You do not need a special second generater. Use one in the winter or two in the summer. Honda does give you the the ability to use a boat gas tank but unless you are staying for extended periods I. A parking lot you won't need it.

Oh yeah if you have a Progressive Industry product you will have to turn it off to use small inverter generators.

Tom Marty
Old 07-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you wont a high quality generator a Honda or Yamaha. If you wont all the bang for the buck you can get Harbor Freight has an inverter 3500 watt for under $700 dollars. You will need more then 3500 watts to run 2 ACs. I think up around 5000 watts.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
After doing a lot of research and talking to the guys in our local small engine shop I bought the 3500 watt inverter Harbor Freight Generator, it’s sold under several other brand names. I have run one A/C,residential fridge without any issues. It’s as quiet as my relatives Honda when tested with dB meter on I phone at 25’. Starts first pull ever time. I bought mine at one of there tent sales, actually bought 2 for the price of 1 Honda. I parallel them and can run both A/C’s,microwave and TV no issues. I probably have close to 50 hours on the one I use around the farm. I have had zero issues, I would definitely buy them again. Watch the you tube reviews.
Sailun 637 tires Predator 3500 (2) paralleled
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #7
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLNTIME View Post
After doing a lot of research and talking to the guys in our local small engine shop I bought the 3500 watt inverter Harbor Freight Generator, it’s sold under several other brand names. I have run one A/C,residential fridge without any issues. It’s as quiet as my relatives Honda when tested with dB meter on I phone at 25’. Starts first pull ever time. I bought mine at one of there tent sales, actually bought 2 for the price of 1 Honda. I parallel them and can run both A/C’s,microwave and TV no issues. I probably have close to 50 hours on the one I use around the farm. I have had zero issues, I would definitely buy them again. Watch the you tube reviews.

I've one of their older non-inverter ones that I've abused for five years now and it still works flawlessly. Kind of hoping it does die soon so I can get one of the inverter types. We only use it occasionally for overnights at WalMarts, etc., or the odd boondocking when it's too hot. While it's louder than an inverter type, it's not as loud as the older contractor types.
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
We have had two Honda 2000i generators (one is Companion) since 2013. Very reliable and quiet. Also they are clean power for electronics.

THE REAL REASON (don't laugh) we picked these in 2013 is because the reduced weight allows my wife to move them if I ever become unable to. At that time I was fairly immobile and we didn't know if she might need the ability. She wanted to travel!!! Each is about 47 pounds as opposed to the much heavier larger Hondas.

They run in parallel to provide plenty of Amps for running 1 AC or the microwave (I think it's 26.6 Amps continuous if running both). Also, we just run one a few hours to charge batteries daily when dry camping in cooler temperatures.

We have a 6 gallon extended run tank that reduces the refueling duty. Goes a long time depending on your draw and whether running one or two generators. WE ONLY USE Ethanol Free fuel.

Generators are mounted in forward portion of Long Bed Truck on a cradle I made to hold them in place; this eliminates needing to move them unless home doing service. Secured from amateur thieves with a locking bed cover and a heavy duty Cable lock thru generators. A 50', 30AMP extension cord stays plugged into generator and I just uncoil it (from truck bed) to plug into trailer with adapter if I plan to run the generator(s). Added steps to truck side to allow me to start them without climbing into truck.

Inverter and two Trojan T145 batteries run our TV and heater if overnighting at Walmart or Rest Area.

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ, 6.6L Duramax 4WD, CC, LB, SRW with Allison Transmission
Bill.vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #9
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I've seen your set-up Bill and it is set up real well. As for as your wife lifting the generator, there is as much difference between you and Mary as Mutt and Jeff. She pick one of them up and i'm afraid she would be immobile. See you at the Balloon Festival.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Also, if you're planning on whipping out a portable generator in a Walmart lot you should also think about a way to secure it.
That’s always on the top of my concern anything outside in bed of truck.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #11
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.vannuys View Post
We have had two Honda 2000i generators (one is Companion) since 2013. Very reliable and quiet. Also they are clean power for electronics.

THE REAL REASON (don't laugh) we picked these in 2013 is because the reduced weight allows my wife to move them if I ever become unable to. At that time I was fairly immobile and we didn't know if she might need the ability. She wanted to travel!!! Each is about 47 pounds as opposed to the much heavier larger Hondas.

They run in parallel to provide plenty of Amps for running 1 AC or the microwave (I think it's 26.6 Amps continuous if running both). Also, we just run one a few hours to charge batteries daily when dry camping in cooler temperatures.

We have a 6 gallon extended run tank that reduces the refueling duty. Goes a long time depending on your draw and whether running one or two generators. WE ONLY USE Ethanol Free fuel.

Generators are mounted in forward portion of Long Bed Truck on a cradle I made to hold them in place; this eliminates needing to move them unless home doing service. Secured from amateur thieves with a locking bed cover and a heavy duty Cable lock thru generators. A 50', 30AMP extension cord stays plugged into generator and I just uncoil it (from truck bed) to plug into trailer with adapter if I plan to run the generator(s). Added steps to truck side to allow me to start them without climbing into truck.

Inverter and two Trojan T145 batteries run our TV and heater if overnighting at Walmart or Rest Area.
Can you either post a picture of your generator set up or pm me? I have 2 Hondas and would like to mount them in the truck some how.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Several good ideas here. Whatever you get, make sure it is a pure sine wave design. It produces clean power which is easier on electronics. Cheap generators generally are not and the big reason they cost less.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #13
2 Yoopers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21800
I purchased two of the Harbor Freight 3500 inverter generators with a coupon for 649 each. I have a Honda 1000 that I love and planned on buying either the 7000 Honda or parallel two 2200’s together once I bought my fifth wheel. After reading the reviews and watching videos, I bought the Predator generators. With both in the back of the truck running parallel, I can run both air conditioners if needed. Very happy with my purchase!
2 Yoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #14
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
If you go with the two small inverter generators you might want to also check out Yamahas. They have a great reliability record and you can buy two identical units and both come with the extra parallel cord. Right now at Costco you can pick them up for 500.00 a piece. You do not need a special second generater. Use one in the winter or two in the summer. Honda does give you the the ability to use a boat gas tank but unless you are staying for extended periods I. A parking lot you won't need it.

Oh yeah if you have a Progressive Industry product you will have to turn it off to use small inverter generators.

Tom Marty
The generator at Costco is NOT a Yamaha generator, only powered by a Yamaha engine. The Costco generator is a SC2000i and the Yamaha generator is a EF2000iSV2. There is reason for it being 1/2 the price of a real Yamaha or Honda.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #15
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Ive had the twin hondas, the twin yamahas, honda 3000i and yamaha 3000iseb... just bought a champion 3200 inverter for 599 and so far as good as the hondas or yamahas...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #16
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092

Yes...double what DQDick said...
DmaxDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
I’ll send a picture in the next day or so.

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ, 6.6L Duramax 4WD, CC, LB, SRW with Allison Transmission
Bill.vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you boondock a generator is a must, We have had a Kipor 3K in the bed of the F-350 and used it exactly twice at Quartsite in 12 years. We have used it more here at the S&B when losing power during t- storm. We run it once a month as routine maint.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:44 AM   #19
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
we are having a Champion Generator with remote function. Very cool as you do not have to leave you camper to start / stop. Also not cranking etc.
Its lighter than the honda one and 1 person can still lift it.
Oh and around 800$ it comes with its own argument right there.
30amp outlet is just built in - no adapter needed.
Very comfortable and it will still run 1 AC unit at 3100watt

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...tart-inverter/

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:40 AM   #20
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
we are having a Champion Generator with remote function. Very cool as you do not have to leave you camper to start / stop. Also not cranking etc.
Its lighter than the honda one and 1 person can still lift it.
Oh and around 800$ it comes with its own argument right there.
30amp outlet is just built in - no adapter needed.
Very comfortable and it will still run 1 AC unit at 3100watt

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...tart-inverter/
I have had a couple of champions, not the electric start, but they worked great & were fairly quiet. on our last travel trailer there was a front rack & I bolted it down with security screws. One thing that seems to help with sound I used a 1" thick high density foam pad under it & made up an after market exhaust.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote