Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2015, 02:42 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Eyeglasses 'Across the border'

We are in Deming now, GREAT little town, glad we stopped here.
Anyhoo, I am asking advice on getting eyeglasses from the Mexican town close to here.
Don't want to go over the border, just don't. Anyway I can order a couple pair of glasses from an optometrist there.. from here?
Have the prescription don't need the exam.
Odd question I know, but it's mine.
thanks!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:05 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Didn't say where you are staying, but the folks at the Escapee's park used to be able to list good dentists and eye doctors based on experience of folks who come there mainly for that reason. I would imagine other parks can also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Dick, we will be in Benson in a week? or so. I will check with them. Maybe someone will be going over and I can buy their lunch or something to drop off one of my glasses for re-lens.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I went to Los Algodones once from Yuma, and bought glasses there. The service was fast, but the glasses were pretty mediocre, and I found that I could do as well at WalMart here in the states, and have someplace to go back to if there was a problem. All things considered, I don't think it's such a good deal.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have been going to Los Algodones for meds, dental and optical needs for 15 plus years- We have been well satisfied with the quality and cost of the services there- We stop in to say "Hi" to our chosen dentist even if we have no need- We have never felt threatened in Los Algodones but were uncomfortable in other Mexican communities- If I can be of service, please send me a pm- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Thanks Dick, we will be in Benson in a week? or so.
Ozz,
Don't know if you've made reservations in Benson as yet, but take a look at Butterfield RV Resort. If you're the least bit interested in astronomy they have a 16 inch telescope inside a closed, rotating dome just like the big boys. When we were there they had a free nitely viewing that was fascinating and educational.

Mike
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:54 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I have had great success using zennioptical.com for several years now. Most recent pair about 4 months ago were only $90 for stylish titanium frames with very thin progressive bifocal lenses and this was the most they have ever been. Normally takes about 2 weeks.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:33 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don, thanks. Very kind of you. I will figure something out, with the responses, this gives me some thunkin to do.
Mike, great idea, I had read up on that and my wife is excited about it. We are staying here in Deming a while longer, got an order for 8 holsters from the one gun shop here, it will take a couple of days to make them. But, to the person, everyone we have come across has been the friendliest people we have met on the road so far. I love this town. The trip to Adobe Café was simply not worth it. The sandwich was good, and the place was super-funky, but we were the only two customers there and the 45 minute wait was too long. Long drive, long wait, Sue was cold, as the place had no heat on and you could fit a beer can in the holes in the wall.
I have used the Internet glasses sites, and they are good, but I am like a 10 year old kid, I WANT IT NOW and as we are on the road, with no schedule, hard to pin down where we will be.
Thanks everyone for helping out, I will check at WalMart, and see what's up at Benson.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #9
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
While you are there and not making holsters, check the museum. They have the best display of Mogollon culture black on white pottery in the southwest. The pottery is considered by some to be the best art form created by native Americans.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Jim, it's on my list now
Old 12-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
Did you get to the City of Rocks and Faywood Hot Springs yet??
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Not yet, we move slow. And get sidetracked easily, there is a Mexican grocery store/meat market in town here, I stopped in there because I just wanted to look inside. The meat case, a long glass vintage model is a work of art, the meat display is perfect, lined up, beautiful display, the owner/butcher took the time to explain in detail about all the cuts, why the products are quality. I have never seen anything like it in my life. I am going back to buy some roasts, sausage ( he makes) hamburger and stew meat. And take pictures of the display, you won't believe it.
As you can see, I get easily distracted