Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
BasinBeaver
Established Member

M.O.C. #13015
New 2013 3800

Fellow moc members

After 2 years of research and internet shopping, we are taking delivery of our 3800 on Thursday, May 23.

Have downloaded, printed out and faxed the pdi checklist to the dealers pdi staff and have scheduled 3 hours to do the walkthrough before signing the purchase papers.

The E rated tires are history and G614 on the rig.

Our question for the forum, what other additional items should we look for and be aware of?

Have read the threads about a 50amp surge protector, is this something we should have added by the dealer or do the ones connected between the power source and the shore power cable work just as well?

We have been so encouraged reading the moc forums and the information you all have provided has been invaluable in making our decision and option choices.

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Ed & Dana

BasinBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Congrats on the new unit. The homepage PDI checklist is pretty good. Only issue I am aware of on the new units, is poor locking on the closet doors in the bedroom. Keystone may have come up with a fix for that. I can only speak to Progressive, but the their surge protectors provide the same capabilities, and the only difference is hardwire installation vs portability. Their 50A will also provide 30A protection. Have fun with that new unit!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use an EMS instead of just a surge protector, it gives you much more information and protection from issues at the power post. We also use a portable as opposed to an inline one due to the fact that I like to check the pedestal before I go to all the trouble of backing in (just my preference) both work equally well. On the PDI don't just look at the items on the list, but check the rig over closely. Unusual things can sometimes be an issue. With us it was a cracked landing gear leg. Good luck and enjoy your new Monty!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
triumphess
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13202
We were looking to buy a surge protector when we were picking up our rig and were debating the hard-wire vs portable issue. The guy in the parts department pointed out that should anything ever happen to a hard-wired unit that you are pretty much powerless (sorry!) until you can get it replaced, whereas with a portable unit you can at least take it off and plug in if you are sure of the power source. Don't know that I'd want to plug in without it, but it made sense.
triumphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by triumphess

We were looking to buy a surge protector when we were picking up our rig and were debating the hard-wire vs portable issue. The guy in the parts department pointed out that should anything ever happen to a hard-wired unit that you are pretty much powerless (sorry!) until you can get it replaced, whereas with a portable unit you can at least take it off and plug in if you are sure of the power source. Don't know that I'd want to plug in without it, but it made sense.
I have a Progressive Industries 50A Hardwired EMS with remote display. There is a switch on the remote that will turn unit off if necessary. Same as unplugging a portable EMS. I have not tried it...I don't want to be unprotected unless absolutely necessary.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
That was the same question I had on hardwired vs portable. Went with the portable then discovered that yes there is a bypass switch on the hardwired unit. Upgraded to a hardwired in Jan, now one less thing to carry around and hook-up when setting up. BTW the bypass function does work, presently running in bypass here at the house because my 30 amp outlet does have the neutral and ground bonded together (next project), but I not too worried about the power at the house, but campgrounds are another thing.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations on your new unit and yes you need to add the protector.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #8
BasinBeaver
Established Member

M.O.C. #13015
Thank you all for your responses.

Will definitly not leave lot without ems surge protector.

Going to stay in campground close to dealer for a couple of nights to really put all the systems to a complete test before returning home.

Will try to add picture and description to our signature avatar later this week or next.

Ed & Dana
BasinBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:29 AM   #9
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We used a different approach. Went to Lowe's and bought the highest rated surge protector that plugs into a wall plug. We put one on the Frig, M/W, Washer, TV, and Surround Sound amp.

We have been doing this for almost 20 years and have only had one instance where had to replace the surge things.

We do this at our house also. My thought is we do not have a surge protector on the house, and the plug in things work there, so do the same thing in the RV.

If you get the 50A one that plugs into the post, be sure you buy the lock for it. They will walk off if you leave them un-leashed.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Check for all the little things as most of our problems on our 2013 3402 Big sky were poor workmanship issues. Check that all doors and closets open and close and the hardware is properly installed. Check that there is heat and cold air coming out of ALL the proper vents. Make sure all the cable.sat.tv jacks and cables work and are labeled properly. Check the struts on the side compartment doors open and close them and make sure they are NOT binding. Make sure all the screws on the strut plates are tight and not stripped.

Good idea on the progressive EMS protector.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
congrats
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

We used a different approach. Went to Lowe's and bought the highest rated surge protector that plugs into a wall plug. We put one on the Frig, M/W, Washer, TV, and Surround Sound amp.

We have been doing this for almost 20 years and have only had one instance where had to replace the surge things.

We do this at our house also. My thought is we do not have a surge protector on the house, and the plug in things work there, so do the same thing in the RV.

If you get the 50A one that plugs into the post, be sure you buy the lock for it. They will walk off if you leave them un-leashed.

Jim
Jim,

Although your theory is good, one big problem with CG power is that alot of times the posts are mis-wired, etc. plus the voltage has serious spikes up and down. The Progressive EMS will prevent the surge into the convertor or inverter. If either of these suffers a spike it could cook them and start a fire. There surge protectors you have on your outlets won't even see the spike because the convertor will have fried already.
Hard wired EMS with a remote display (if you cannot locate it locally where you can read it often) is the way to go!

Les

Old 05-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Congrats! Yes, the surge protector is a must--I use the portable one--but either will do the job. New Monty's come with wet bolts installed, make sure they have been greased before towing. Then check annually should do it unless you really haul it down the road a bunch -- like over 10,000 miles. Also towing will be part of your life. You really need tire pressure monitors--critical for the Monty--also good for the tow vehicle. Check the MOC site for brands that others have used--several are very good. I have the Pressure Pro--worked very well for over 6 years. Yes, it has saved my bacon more than once! There is a list as long as your arm of all the other things--everything from extra RF cable for the cable TV to air compressors. If you would like my list that I put together over the past 7 years--including a trip to Alaska and alot of other places--send me an email and I will get it to you. But most of all WELCOME TO THE BEST RV OWNERS SITE ON THE NET! Hope to meet you down the road.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Congratulations on your new rig. You have gottent a lot of good information. The choice of which way to go is yours.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote