Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #21
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
As for the laundry shoot, does your bathroom door close tightly against the laundry shoot door? Do you keep a broom or other small object, fishing pole, grill accessories, etc., in the basement? If you do, then I would (of course knowing the layout of your rig and doing my homework first) push up on the laundry door just enough to get that small object in there and give the bathroom door a push/pull. Am I then in? But you do have piece of mind.

Edited: Of course, you could take one of those pipe covers that are used to protect your head from the slide-outs, and cut a wide enough groove to slide it on the bottom of door for a tighter fit. That might be a little better, but then, you or your insurance company will be replacing an entry door, most likely.

I think the bottom line is, if a thief wants in, he's going to get in. All any of us can do is to use any and all methods posted to try and deter them. They do like easy pickings. (Bump, bank - no easy entry - go to the next one!)

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I bought mine at this site: http://www.dyersonline.com/prime-pro...gage-lock.html I ordered them so that the same key opens all the locks (the sales folks were very accommodating and ensured that ALL locks sent had the same key). If there is a drawback, it is that the key must remain in the lock if it's in the unlocked position. I simply bought a keyring that comes apart (like the ones you use when you let a valet park your car) and put 1 key on each end. Works like a charm!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

I also changed all my access doors where there was a CH751 lock to a barrel lock. It makes it a "little" more secure.
Of course nothing is foolproof. I do like the suggested Marine security system that was discussed on this forum and will be looking into it further.
I too live close to the RV storage lot, and make semi frequent visits to mine but sure would feel better with some more "protection".
What is a "barrel lock" and where did you get them? You're saying that they offer a bit more security than the stock locks or just that they have a different key? Looking at another alarm system today...I will share what I find out.
Thanks!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #23
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Number 1 would be storage as the most common place to get broke into. Our unit got broke into when it was 2 months old. They broke the window in the door and reached in and unlocked the door. They hit 8 other RV's the same way that night. Had motorcycle helmet on the whole time, so video didn't help police much.

Number 2 would be shopping parking lots. Had truck broke into right in front of the drive thru at Shoney's. I put alarm on the truck after that.

I put alarm in, and set it to go off if the stairs are put down, or any door is opened.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote