Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Sewer Boom

Haven't picked up new Montana yet. Just how does this boom work? Is there a flexible sewer hose already in the boom from the factory? If not, how do you attach a hose to it? I have done the search and read all about how to modify it but not how exactly does it work? Supposedly, a rhino hose will not work and thetford hose does. Supposedly, the newer models have an extended boom according to factory rep. Rep said rhino will not work and thetford would. What type connections? We will be using the Montana soon after delivery for short shakedown trip before extended trip and wondering exactly what equipment will be needed. Thanks for your help!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
most any twist lock hose would work I would think...the boom will easily hold a ten foot length of sewer hose...it should be easy to understand once you get the camper home....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
The hose goes through the boom and attaches to the standard bayonette drain fitting. In order to cap the drain you must put a cap on the end of the hose. My hose fittings didn't fit in the boom tube until I cut off four small tabs that stuck out from the hose fitting to aid your grip when connecting to another fitting. I could only fit a 10' in the boom, so carry extra in a storage pipe. Note, IMO the cover for the boom tube is a pain to get off and put back on and could definately be improved.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Check out this thread. You can improve the modification to suit your needs.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...rms=sewer,boom

Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
When unbuckling the sewer boom, you may want to be a bit "gentle" with the buckle...it does come apart fairly easy...know this from personal experience.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
The best way IMHO to use the boom is to make believe it isn't there. I spent about $ 150 dollars and 3 days screwing with mine , think it was finally usable and then finding it wouldn't work . The flex hose cover was way too long to allow the boom to swing perpendicular to the trailer, the boom wouldn't hold a Rhino 10 foot hose so I bought a 65 dollar boom extension and remounted it , only to find that you never had enough sewer hose to prevent you carrying more hoses, parts and pieces anyway to be prepared for the variety of situations one will run into .
There are other posts showing how clever members have redesigned theirs to make it work. If it takes this much effort to make it work , why bother. Get yourself a big rubber container , keep the sewer hoses in it and go on down the road.
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
As you are finding, there are many different opinions on this. Ours fits our RV lifestyle great. First, find a 10' hose that will fit inside the boom. Next, snake it through the end of the boom. There is a flexible piece of hose that encases the end of the boom and the end of the sewer pipe. It has a hose clamp on both ends. Loosen the end that attaches to the sewer pipe and screw the bayonet mount onto the sewer pipe. Next, re-attach the flexible pipe. Find a cap for the other end of the sewer hose that will fit inside. As mentioned earlier, it may take a little modification. Now, when you pull up to the dump, just swing out your boom, take out the hose, take the cap off and dump. Yes, if it would have been long enough to fit 20', it probably would have been better. In Wisconsin, few campgrounds have septic, and most state parks, federal parks and BLM don't either. As I said, ours fits our RVing style great. The one missing item was a sewer hose compartment, which thanks to some other member's ideas, we added right above the boom. Now our hose, connectors and everything we need is right there. Also, our sewer support fits nicely inside the boom to provide a good start for drainage when we do need it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:21 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
As with some others, I was totally un-impressed with the sewer boom. It seems user unfriendly, doesn't store much hose, needs an end cap on the sewer hose itself to seal which makes the hose shorter yet, and cannot be totally flushed out (I know, dump the black tank first) unless you use the black tank flush which I generally can't use at any campground in the Midwest as the flush hose at the dump station seldom has a functioning garden hose end on it. I plan on installing a door in the sheetmetal that wraps under the sides and making a compartment behind the door similar to the sewer hose storage in my old 2980RL.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:39 AM   #9
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I took mine off months ago after trying to find a good way to make use of it. I mounted two storage tubes for all sewer hose and attachments. If/when I trade coach I will reinstall the boom so the next owner can have fun trying to fined a good way to make use of this piece of junk!!
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I really like my sewer boom. The weekend we picked up our rig, I did a mod similar to KTManiac. My new pipe was shorter than his, I cut it just long enough for a 20' Rhino hose. I didn't have to use any other fastners, just those that came with the rig. If I recall, the mod was only about $20 but was well worth it, IMHO.

It has been very convenient for the places we camp. To each is own!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
On my 2955 the boom didn't line up with the outlet so it would only work if your sewer hookup was forward of the boom, plus the flexible section would rub on the tire. Was using the tube for storage only, but had to remove it completely for the installation of the Level-up jack on that side.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #12
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I think the boom is great. The problem with the swivel not turning far enough can be solved by cutting back the rubber hose that covers the bayonet fitting by about 5 inches. Mine holds about 10' of hose that is more than enough 90% of the time. All you need to do at a dump station is figure out where to stop so that you don't even need to disconnect the boom, just pull out the hose and hook to the dump. As far as campsites with FHU, it's still just a little practice to figure out where you need to park the trailer to have the hose fit where you need it.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
GTOWag
Established Member

M.O.C. #9466
I agree with Wiesehan, it is basicly a POS. If you mostly use your rig without FHU and just use the RV dump on the way out of the campground it works OK. But 90% of the time when you are camping with FHU it doesn't work very well, mostly because the boom can't swing toward the rear very far and usually that is where the sewer connection is and it will only hold 10' of hose. I installed a 6" piece of PVC from one side of the rig to the other to store 20 feet or more of hose with connectors installed. I just screw off the PVC cap, pull out the hose and connect it to the RV and place the other end in the sewer connection at the camp site and I am done. It's much easier and quicker then fooling around with the sewer boom. If you want an extra one you can have mine!!
GTOWag is offline   Reply With Quote