Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Entry Door Window

The entry door window allows anyone to freely look into the monty. My wife one night was outside standing by the door and said that she was able to see very clearly into the monty. Any suggestions on what can be done to improve privacy.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Our window on the door is frosted and textured and I don't recall being able to look in freely. DW sure would have let me know by know and something done about it. I have heard cases of some windows being unobstructed which exposes the interior like you describe. Others have completely replaced theirs with beautiful stained glass colorful versions. I have seen some of these and they are very attractive and provide privacy.

I believe there was talk of outings in past gatherings in Quartzsite at the "Circling of the Montanas" in Arizona for a trip to the border towns in Mexico to order and have some built just to give you an idea how this can be done. I recall someone also posted a link to someone in the states that has a variety of designs and they'll build and ship one to you.

Others have mounted some kind of curtain cover but you must be careful that it doesn't conflict with the screen door.

Fortunately, there are numerous possibilites and hopefully others will post their success stories soon enough.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

It appears that you may be talking about the window that is in the outside door when it’s closed. Ours is frosted and you can’t see through it very well at all. However if you’re talking about the screen door whenever the big door is open here is what we did. We replaced our screen with a new charcoal colored screen and then covered it with a clear thin plastic material that Wal-mart had. Unless it’s darker outside and there is a light on the inside you can’t see in very well. In Normal daytime hours it looks like a dark film over the door. With this you don’t have the benefit of using the screen for air flow but we like the ability to keep the outside door open more especially when it’s cooler or warmer on the outside.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
yes they can be replaced with stain glass as art says. we were in quartzite when the rv show is on.they are easy to install .just need the right measurements and round corners. someone bought one with square corners and i didnot fit.so be careful.measure twice and cut once.lol
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Mine is frosted but on a previous sob I had a clear window and I purchased a foil that was made for just that purpose.I think I bought it at camping world or tweetys.It uses velcro to secure it to the door and is removable because of the velcro. Good luck.

Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Our model entry door window is elongated and is not frosted; however, it is heavily tinted. While you can see in at night when the interior lights are on, the view is not clear. We put a wild life applique on the window and now the view from outside is poor (able to see inside) at best.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
This is one option for stained glass windows. There are others also....http://www.rvstainedglass.com/
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

This is one option for stained glass windows. There are others also....http://www.rvstainedglass.com/
Phil, some really great looking graphics! I was thinking about showing them to Camilla until I saw the price...now cut that out! Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:59 AM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
David, in reference to your "see thru" window, the new Montanas are now coming out with these. Our neighbors 2011 Montana has the same window. I haven't figured that out why, but so far I haven't seen a leaded glass made to fit them. Look into the foil cover that CamillaMichael put in their window.
I was lucky enough to get our 2010 before the factory made that change.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Phil, some really great looking graphics! I was thinking about showing them to Camilla until I saw the price...now cut that out! Michael
I understand they are a lot less expensive in Algodones, MX, of course you may get shot at or get your truck stolen while there, so not sure which is better. (DISCLAIMER: The remark about getting shot or truck stolen was added for humor and not meant to upset anyone!!) Don't get your underwear in a bunch.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
My 2011 came with a frosted window.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
David,
Our 2010 3150RL came with the same window. DW painted a lighthouse scene on the entire window, no more seeing in now.

But you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a Window screen. Here is a link to their website:

www.lighteffects.com

All You do is trim the material to the correct size, spray some water on the glass and squeegee the water out. They even come with the squeegee.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Somebody was selling real stained glass windows at the Escapees Rally in Goshen last fall for under $100. Perhaps you can find out who on their website. I would try the pre-rally list of exhibitors.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #14
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
David, I purchased one of those windows and we showed him the new windows. He was supposed to see if they will make the new size for the new Montanas.
Lee, our neighbors 2011 is frosted also, but you can see in at night when the light is on inside.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #15
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Just saw on HGTV where they applied a frosted privacy film. They cleaned the bathroom window that they were applying it to, sprayed it with water, then applied the cut-to-shape film. They smoothed it out and voila for under $10, according to them, they had provided privacy. One caveat, I always say I'd like to shop where these shows shop, so don't know if it is that cheap or not. You might look into it.
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #16
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Our 2010 3000RK has the clear window in door. Cut some bubble-pack and put in backside of window.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #17
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Thank you for all the input on how to improve our privacy. I'm going to check out Home Depot & Lowes to see if they carry the product that Oldelmer1 suggested. Our 3150RL is a 2010 model so I'm not sure why they installed a clear window in our entry door. I'm pretty sure the window film will provide the privacy we are after.

Thank you.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #18
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We also noticed that at night a person outside the Montana can pretty much see through the "frosted glass" of our entry door. The glass also let in massive amounts of sunlight in the morning and if you are sleeping there on the couch, you wake up with the chickens.

Our floor plan doesn't really have any windows on that side of the coach that we can see out and we decided to convert the frosted glass to clear glass. So we took out the window (easy to do) and went to a place called TAP Plastics. We picked out a slightly shaded polycarbonate replacement which they cut to exact size for us. Now we can see outside when the door is closed. At night, I hang a towel over the top of the screen door and it blocks the view and sunlight.

We also took off the screen door and took it to the same place. They cut some polycarbonate to fit the two big screen areas and the one small screen area. We bought a new clear sliding door panel at CampingWorld for $12. The three panels are kept on with "flippers" (my word) and are easily taken off or put on. Now we have the option to turn our screen door into a storm door when weather dictates and still be able to see out. This has been in use on our Montana for about 5 years now and we love it.

Works for us, maybe not for you though.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote