Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
TMobile vs Verizon vs Cingular Cell/Data

Any one with experince using TMobile cellular and cellular data phone (Laptop computer Internet Connection) services while traveling around the country? Sure would like to hear about the experience you are having with TMobile or the alternatives. I spent a long time today trying to learn about Verizon's offering with these services and the web site is totally worthless. I;m going to try the Verizon store tomorrow. I have been unable to find out what I'm looking for. Next Cingular.... and Sprint. This shouldn't be this difficult. Lead this blind person to the acorn, please!

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dean, trying to get info from Verizon about this feature is like pulling teeth out of a chicken. There is a forum on Yahoo that is dedicated to internet by cell phone. That may actually be the name of the forum and it covers almost every issue with all companies. I have read that Verizon is eliminating this feature as it tries to sell their overprice broadband cards ($80.00 per month). Verizon has the best connection but I'm not sure how long it will be able. And I know from experience that their in-store techs know NOTHING! Check out the Yahoo group. You'll be confused as it's a lot of information but it's valuable info and up-to-date.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:47 AM   #3
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Dean, the website Judy is talking about is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/internetbycellphone/
Good luck.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
glenwynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #4324
If you have a Verizon cell phone there broadband is $59.00 a month for unlimited connect time, since I,m on the net 7-8 hours a day it was the only way to go for me

Glen

glenwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen, is that broadband available everywhere? We considered that but we're in a rural area and what's worse is that we're in Alabama. We'd be the least likely to have a connection. And doesn't that work for only one computer? Someday we dream of having Direcway and supporting both of our computers on that.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
glenwynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #4324
Judy, below is a link to verizon national access map it covers most of the US I think you you
can put in your zip code and it will tell you if you have coverage.
Yes you can use it on more than one computer, you have to use a router on one of the computers and have a wifi card for the other computer.Here is a link that tells you how to hook it up
http://firedude.thefiredude.com or if you are in a park and see a RED GMC dually and a 3650RF and your parked within 150 ft of me just asked for my password and you can use mine, that goes for anyone on the forum to
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...ailability.jsp
glenwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Dean, we use Cingular with a Motorola V551 phone and Motorola's Mobile Suite accessory. The speed, with Edge technology in the phone, is about 115 instead of dial up 28. The cost for unlimited data transmission is approximately $20 a month. Our coverage has been good.
Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:00 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen, our new Verizon aircard and router and antenna is due to be delivered after April 20th. I'd love to share our new wireless connection but don't know if I'd want to open it up with no password. How does sharing your password work for you? We've met people on the road who have shared their connection freely with us but they didn't even bother with a password.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #9
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
The comments about Verizon are right on.
I have been emailing them for three days back & forth trying to come up with a reasonable cost internet approach with no luck. They used to offer a low band approach, but they don't even mention it. Pro ably pushing their national access/broadband.
I tried their air card last year and the install really messed up my laptop badly. I was on the phone for many hours over several days. Make sure your air card is compatible with your laptop. I believe there are different versions for different laptops.
Cost is a factor for me. I already pay $70 / month for 700 minutes. Paying another $60 / month on top of that is against my principles. Especially when you add in high speed cable and land telephones. It gets mighty expensive.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The cost is way too high. But we're hoping for accessibility without too much equipment to take along. Hope it works.

You're right about the cards being accessible with only certain laptops. When Glen buys a new laptop we're going to match it to our Kyocera 650, hopefully.

This link offers a lot of info. I may have put it up before but at least it's a good read. Don't know anything about the company personally. https://booster-antenna.com/verizon/cards.php

They do address compatibility issues.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:38 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sprint also has a aircard to be used for wireless internet. I have used it a few times now and the connection speed is pretty good, not as good as my broadband at home, but it does get me connected to the MOC!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote