Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
WiFi Not Always High Speed

Just a little heads up I thought about while searching for a campground in Flagstaff. On our recent trip to Montana I found that parks that advertised WiFi do not always have high speed WiFi. I paid for some and they were high speed. One park had free WiFi with fairly good connection but it was slow (56 to 28).
Happy trails...................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Time to get an aircard, Sue. But I'm not sure which ones work well in the western states. Our Verizon card is doing great on our trip through the midwest. We're east of Brainerd, MN and still have a connection, much to our surprise. We are really loving the ability to be connected while driving down the road. It works around 54 which isn't bad.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I have the Verizon mobile office which was working real well for a while and now it tells me something is wrong with the modem. I'm going to reinstall the software next week when we get to Flagstaff. I have the new Dell with express card so I'm waiting for technology to catch up with me. I'm not really sure what I want when we start fulltiming. I'll have to sell the DirecWay to do anything else.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
I have been researching the whole mobile internet thing and found out this week that in certain large metroplex areas, the aircard through Verizon has broadband capabilities. LA and Orange County, CA is one of them. Much faster than the 56k. Verizon dealer has a booklet on where broadband coverage is available. You might be suprised how large the broadband coverage is! Also found out you can definitely hook two laptops and get service with one aircard. Need a "hub" or a router, and the two computers are hooked together, kinda piggybacked.
tara
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
texkrumm, I think that is what Judy does, she has a router and they both can be online with the air card at the same time. You will have to check some previous topic to find out what type or wait till she gets on here.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We use this: http://booster-antenna.com/index.php...5e153cd0eb7ac2

with a Kyocera KP650 aircard from Verizon.

Since we travel in "extended coverage areas" we got this to hook up to the aircard (drilled a small hole to the outside and mounted it on one of our slide topper brackets:

http://booster-antenna.com/index.php...roducts_id=155

We're in McCloud, California (near Mt. Shasta) and I'm on the forum.

My wife and I have laptops which connect to the KR-1 router via WiFi, and then the aircard connects to Verizon for Internet access.

Simple and it works.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote