Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
A/C leaking through roof! HELP!

Seems everything we have tried to use for the first time breaks or is broken!!!!! We used the AC for the first time this afternoon. After about 1/2 hr the ceiling was leaking! Bob went up on top and couldn't find anything wrong. Opened it up in the unit and can't see where the drain hose is. We think it is plugged up? or? It's a Duo Therm. What happened to the list of manufacturer websites and phone numbers that had a link on the home page? I thought it was a sticky so I didn't print it out.

osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Britney 10
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1704
osofine, Maybe this is what you are looking for check out this link.

http://www.montanaowners.com/components
Britney 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Is the leak at the filter area inside? I had mine leak one time and what I noticed is that putty that was put around the frame work inside of the AC unit (cover off looking inside) had over time left gaps, I reformed the putty to direct the condensation away from the center of the AC to the outer edges and all was fine.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Given the year - I suspect you have a Duo-Therm Penguin (low profile) and its located near the center of the rig at an extreme angle.

If so - it is a problem with the Penguin design that haunted us until the sale of our 2003 last year. The AC drip tray for the condensor is too narrow and when the fan blows air through the condensor it throws droplets of condensate beyond the lip of the tray and onto the interior grill. Once it fills up, it migrates where ever it can and starts dripping. Dometic Duo Therm came out with a fix that was an extended lip for the drip tray, but in some cases in never worked.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Haul her down here to the Island, and we will fix her up. I imagine it is as Brad stated, just run it till it leaks with the cover off, and see if you can tell where it is leaking over the sheet metal pan. You might have to put some food coloring in the condensate water. I have had to modify some drip pans, using sheet metal and the black spray undercoating stuff to seal it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Like others our 2003/2955 had the same problem during high heat and humidity. During our 1st trip to the service centre they replaced the drip tray but during the second summer the problem re-appeared. Finally they replaced the whole unit and the next summer we were good! Traded the unit the next year after that.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Depending on our angle, our drips would migrate along the ceiling and start dripping down the trim on the slide onto the couch, and even the back side curtains. The Dealer replaced the curtains under warranty. I don't think I would add food coloring or you might stain the interior ceiling, carpet, and furniture if it gets away from you.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good call.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Thanks guys. I will have my dh read this all and he will probably try to redesign the drip tray. So glad he is handy with tools! this rig was made for a carpenter/plumber/electrician to own. He's a carpenter but did a lot of remodeling in past years. guess this is his retirement project.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You might save the DH some time and tell him that access to the drip tray is through the top, not from below (assuming it is a penguin). You have to remove the shroud, then the top of the plenum box and all the insulation. The tray is a plastic tub with small weep holes out each side that drain on the roof. Dometic's fix is a small splash shield that gets a attached to the tray towards the back that was supposed to catch the water that blew over the top of the original tray lip. It worked in theory better than in practice.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Nice to know that my a/c can't be used when it is hot out. Oh well, guess that is one thing that dh will have be creative about fixing. Can't believe that previous owner never took it in for service on the leaking. I know she said they didn't use it often - now I know why.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
Experienced this problem while on trip to Oliver BC last summer. Discovered missing attachment bolt, looking up from inside, I replaced bolt and drip stopped. Bolt probably not required for attachment but it left open hole for water.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote