Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What James14 says is fact. BTW we have sold Rv's at RV shows and 200.00 difference will bust a sale. Competition is fierce in the RV industry and a few $$ in price will make a difference to the average RV buyer most of whom know little about Rv's. As I have posted many times before the two most common questions asked by the buyers was.." will my truck pull it" (Most of the time it could not) and what are the monthly payments.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #22
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
If 200 will break a sale on 50,000, maybe the buyers should not buy an rv and go tent camping. They can save 50,000 or more!. Better yet, they can save a bundle and stay home and watch tv.. When we bought ours we wanted the rear cap, 6point leveling etc.. it cost us 6,000 more.. if we could not get the legacy package we would not have bought the Montana. That would break the deal with us. Our new Truck is a Ram Longhorn. I could save 20,000 and buy a tradesman. However, no how, no way would i buy a Tradesman even tho i could save big bucks.. Like i said, if even 1000 will kill a sale over better tires, or not havng air conditioning, that type of buyer should stay home....If you want to dance, you have to pay the band..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #23
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
What James14 says is fact. BTW we have sold Rv's at RV shows and 200.00 difference will bust a sale. Competition is fierce in the RV industry and a few $$ in price will make a difference to the average RV buyer most of whom know little about Rv's. As I have posted many times before the two most common questions asked by the buyers was.." will my truck pull it" (Most of the time it could not) and what are the monthly payments.
And that’s why I say offer an options package like the auto industry. That way they please everyone and widen their potential buyer pool without adding build cost!! Prime example, I am quiet content with my Ram Tradesman but previous poster wanted an upgrade package!

The items I would like to see in a package are SAFETY and FUNCTIONALITY oriented and as such I consider mission critical. They are also pricy for out of pocket and really need to be added at purchase!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #24
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I’d like to see cup warmers and coolers. Lol
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #25
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
I’d like to see cup warmers and coolers. Lol
They have lighted cup holders.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #26
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Offering a "safety package" -- Hydraulic Disc brakes and IS

Of course that would imply not having it would be unsafe.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #27
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post

Well actually it is a bit unsafe. You can operate a vehicle without seatbelts and antilock brakes but it isn’t wise to do so...

My point is these are rather expensive and IMPORTANT upgrades. Unlike trim color or something to that effect. This is NOT something to laugh at!!

But for marketing sake call it a performance or ride upgrade
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #28
dhenry3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18670
Way better

The difference between our 2017 3710 and our 2018 3791 is night and day. The 3710 had China bombs, lousy stairs,ac that just did not cool and in command system that was a pain in the butt to keep working. The 3791 came with slain tires, moryde steps, ac works great and we left the legacy pkg of and like the switches way better. All this in one model year. You can't tell me it's the luck of the draw. Keystone has worked to improve their units and it shows.
dhenry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #29
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Well actually it is a bit unsafe. You can operate a vehicle without seatbelts and antilock brakes but it isn’t wise to do so...

My point is these are rather expensive and IMPORTANT upgrades. Unlike trim color or something to that effect. This is NOT something to laugh at!!

But for marketing sake call it a performance or ride upgrade

I agree totally. Offer the package and if enough insist on it will become a common thing.

The marketing weasels just need to get behind it.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #30
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post

So you call it "Enhanced Safety" Package.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #31
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Make it a Full/Long Timer's Package. We're the ones who really use these units and could really benefit from the improvements.
I did all those improvements to our 2010 Monty 2955RL and again to our first SOB.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #32
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I suspect that most RV buyers wouldn't know the difference between a Sailun tire and sailing in a boat. I bet the percentage of RV buyers who regularly read the forums is pretty small. They just think a more expensive RV is better, and in most cases it is. If most see a tire with a famous name vs. a name they never heard of they are going to think the one they are familiar with is superior. Just like most autos, RV's are built to a price point that marketing has determined will attract the most buyers. As far as the stairs go, while I can see their advantages to full timers or long timers I personally have no problem with the convential stairs, and in fact, due to storage conditions prefer them.
Passed on several due to those stairs. Would not even look at them. Have had folders ~ 1 to 4 step ~ on RVs for nearly 50 years without a problem and with these I see problems.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:37 AM   #33
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I believe the disc brakes should not be an option but an necessity on all rv's. I have the I.S. and disc and the disc are much more important. The suspension can be kept fairly safe through regular inspection but the drum brakes are antiquated. If you had the brakes and I.S. as an option from the manufacture then you could probably get them a little cheaper than doing the aftermarket.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 AM   #34
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I believe the disc brakes should not be an option but an necessity on all rv's. I have the I.S. and disc and the disc are much more important. The suspension can be kept fairly safe through regular inspection but the drum brakes are antiquated. If you had the brakes and I.S. as an option from the manufacture then you could probably get them a little cheaper than doing the aftermarket.
Son-in-Law's 8 year old bass boat came with disc brakes standard on the trailer.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #35
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Looking at new rigs can be expensive - use caution.

Will be happy when there is a no carpet option - carpet was a horrible idea to put in RVs. They are improved with no carpet on the steps, living room or kitchen but I don't want it on the slides or bedroom either.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #36
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Luckily we had the time and insight to do 6 months research before we bought anything. We went to RV shows, dealer ships, watched videos, talked to rv'rs in local parks, and took notes. Never having owned or pulled any kind of camper we ended up getting a 2018 3790RD and a 2017 F350 DRW 4x4 6.7 liter full size. We have had very few issues and are happy with our decision. Life on the road full time is good, heading to Big Sur in the morning about an hour away.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #37
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Kyle and Lisa, are you still running over curbs when turning, etc? haha It took me over a year before I finally figured things out - and my unit was only 34 feet long. I can just imagine starting out fresh with something around 40 feet!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #38
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
LOL I have not hit anything or ran over any curbs, if I see I am to close to anything I backup and correct my position. Lisa always tells me I am a awesome driver, I keep my fingers crossed at all times. LOL !
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #39
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
disk brakes would be very sweet.
independent suspension ? not so great. as i belive some weight issues would arise and require all trailers to have three axles. not two.
with luck about by this time next year ( sooner? later) i hope to have a 3700LK in my yard.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:11 AM   #40
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I find some of the comments interesting or should I say “I love this forum!”

We all want better quality, but I think you need to look at the market. There is not a cheap 5th wheel - even the starter versions and price is VERY important to most including most of us on this forum. But given that, I think the manufactures could do better. Better tires are just a couple hundred dollars and disc brakes are a good add. And we all want the very most we can get for the least money. But I think if the mfg’s would improve the quality of what they are building, like consistent wiring and AC ducts that are open and making sure the equipment is installed correctly, the cost becomes less of an issue and they may find there cost are lower which helps price.

Let’s keep pushing the mfg’s to continue improving and work on quality and cost improvements.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote