Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Heading for Alaska from San Francisco, CA

We are leaving about the 10th of May to Portland and Seattle. After Mother's Day starting for Alaska. Our plan is to travel about 2 months +/-. If anyone is traveling that time period, maybe we could caravan some distance. We will travel the caravan routes by-passing The Sky Highway route. Family rv'ers have advised me not to and there is a video on YouTube that convinced me, lol.
I found some good YouTube travel videos to preview the routes before going.
If anyone has recommendations where to stay and what to see along the way, please let us know. We purchased the MilePost catalog to help us along.
Happy Trails all and drive safe.

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #2
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
We are planning on the Alaska trip next year and I am curious what is the “caravan route” and Skyhighway route? I have ordered Milepost and will be looking forward to any reports about your trip. Happy Trails!
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I also used the caravans to plot my route the first time to AK. Just make sure to NOT arrive at campgrounds the same day as the caravans do!! They will be full.
Depending on when you get to AK, beware of the frost heaves. I went last time in July and the roads were better because they had time to work on them - although a few construction delays. First time up we left U.S. mid June and bad roads. They have little flags along the road where there are heaves. First one I found I slowed down to about 25 MPH but it was nothing. So next one I cruised thru at 40-45. Big mistake!! I had 5 cabinet doors open and stuff on the floor at my next stop. Have fun and stop at that place by a bridge over a river that has BIG cinnamon rolls. Mentioned in the Milepost.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:12 AM   #4
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We went to Alaska in 2016. We took the Alaska Highway going up and the Cassiar highway coming back. Along the Cassiar highway we stopped at Mountain Shadow campground and found it to be very nice.

In Seward BC/Hyder Alaska, you can see the bears catching salmon. Unfortunately, we were about two weeks too early to see that. So you have to time that one carefully.

I found Whittier, Alaska (about an hour out of Anchorage) to be a very interesting place. I wish I had researched the place before going there, I would have looked at a few more things there and I would have seen the place in a different light.

We are planning to go back next year, this time with another couple. We did not go to Homer last time and plan to do that next time.

Dawson City, Yukon is a fascinating place. If you go on the Top of the World highway, take it in an easterly rather than westerly direction. There will be a shorter line at the ferry.

That's all I can think of right now. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
LoanOak, where you surprised at the difference in the top of the world highway between the US and Canadian side? Canada nice smooth hardpacked dirt/gravel. US side narrow, right over bare bolders, rough. Oh, except near the border where the US paved about 7 miles. That had us thinking, this is a nice road - until we hit the dirt!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #6
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
The worst part was near Chicken where there were some tight turns. You need to stay on your side of the road coming around those turns. We were towing a 34' fifth wheel at the time (SOB) and a guy roaring past in a dually just about clipped us coming by. The Canadian side definitely had better roads.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 05-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
There are some pros and cons to starting the trip early.

Pros:
-Not hard to find open camping spots
-Fewer bugs
-Wildlife more active
-Few backups for road construction

Cons:
-More frost heaves - some not marked well, so take it slow
-Some campgrounds may not have water turned on - carry some in your tank

This is a great trip, take your time. Bring a good camera. Don't miss Laird Hot Springs. Spend plenty of time studying your Milepost. Have a plan but be willing to deviate as you get input along the way.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #8
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Thank you all the tips. We are leaving Tuesday after Memorial weekend instead. Found two holding tanks damaged and replaced.
Modifying caravan route to be in Fairbanks for the Summer Solstice festival. It will be 24 hours of daylight, the longest day of our life, lol. We ŵill finish caravan routes going to Haines and ferry to Skagway. That will save a12 hour 600 mile trip to Skagway. About $200, 2 hour relax ferry ride.
Not sure of Mendenhall Glacier this trip or wait to do it on a cruise. No roads to Juneau, water taxi from Haines or Skagway.
Still would like meet anyone going to Alaska.
Happy trails.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:07 AM   #9
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
When you are in Fairbanks, I suggest you check out the visitor center. It is the best one anywhere! Even the Milepost states that.

There is a small museum attached to it, and one of the exhibits shows what it is like to live in Alaska. I though it was fascinating, and very well done! There is also awesome internet there, if you need to catch up on any internet stuff.

This place is free and well worth a visit. The people working there are also very nice and helpful.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 05-25-2018, 06:26 AM   #10
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
We did a cruise to Alaska and visited Alaska and I believe there is a lumberjack show there. Mendenhall Glacier was incredible. We took a tour to there from the ship.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
The Alaska Fish Bake in Fairbanks is also worth going to.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 05-25-2018, 07:26 AM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Hope you're good at backing, because unless it's changed you my very well have to back down the loading ramp of the Haines ferry to Skagway.
When we were there about 4 years ago with our 40' SOB and Dually we had to back down the ramp as the Ferry loads from the front side, not the usual drive on one end and off the other.