Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
Dish TV Change

So, about 2 years ago when we started to full time, I did a bunch of research regarding satellite TV service. We had had both Dish and Direct over the years, and didn't really see much difference, so neither had an advantage.

We decided to get a Winegard Pathway x2 as we could use 2 receivers, and it was an automatic finding Dish. We did some adapting with some OTA adapters (that Dish's tech's didn't know about) so we could get locals without having to change service addresses each time we moved. Everything worked well until 9 Aug.

When we went to bed on the 8th, we had all of our channels on both receivers (we have the 250 channel package). When we got up the next morning and found some of our favorite channels (TBS, Fox News, Spike TV to name a few) were non existent, on either the channel guide or by going directly to the channel.

I called the tech folks on the 10th (had things going on on the 9th) and requested help. The Tech was helpful, to an extant. He had me reset the main receiver numerous times after sending a signal to it, and I continually told him that everything was fine the 8th, and I was looking at satellite 72.7 for the 2 receivers. After about an hour, he sent me to the outdoors folks. They said as long as I had a signal, it wasn't their issue. I gave up, at least for the weekend, and reattached Monday, after finding about 30 channels were missing. After going thru the same fiasco, I finally decided to wait until we relocated.

We got to Sheridan, Wyoming yesterday and I went thru the normal setup, aligning on 72.7. Guess what, same thing. O.K., something else is up. I reset to a single receiver, and surprise, we have all of our channels.

This morning, I called to kill the second receiver, and when the rep asked why, I explained the issue. She looked thru our account and saw all of it. She contacted a long time Tech and was told that the night of the 8th, a channel lineup was accomplished, and 72.7 didn't have all the channels anymore. She said to fix it, I need a new satellite dish. Yeah, I don't think so. If the company makes changes, but doesn't notify anyone (techs, customers) of the changes, that ain't too spiffy. So, we're going to start researching out going to Direct.

Another fine example of customer service.

timandpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I am a long time Dish Subscriber and have traveled all over the country with our two Tailgaters, and I never have seen satellite 72.7? I use a combination of 110, 119 and 129, for my service. The Tailgaters move to the appropriate satellite based on what we select from the program guide. Why can't you use the other satellites that are available?
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My question also. Been doing this with Dish for 7 years now and never even knew that channel existed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am a DirecTV user but have friends with Dish. Satellites 61.5, 72.7, and 77 are the "Eastern Arc" service. The "Western Arc" uses satellites 110, 119, and 129. The Pathway X2 can access either "arc" with the flip of a dip switch. I would have thought you would be using the Western Arc sats in WY. You might try using the Western Arc sats and see if the problem goes away.

Never the less, the X2 is getting all the channels on 72.7 if there is one receiver and doesn't if there is a second one. The change in channel lineups is a non-issue. This sounds much more like a X2 issue which is caused by the addition of a second receiver. Call Wingard and ask them about this problem.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
72.7 is an eastern arch sat, the OP may be to far west for it to see it
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
72.7 is one of the eastern arc sats. But I too am wondering why you are not using the western arc sats, especially being in that area of the US. The X2 should be able to pick either arc.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
72.7 is one of the eastern arc sats. But I too am wondering why you are not using the western arc sats, especially being in that area of the US. The X2 should be able to pick either arc.
The small dish portable units have a very small dish is the problem, plug it into a full size dish it most likely would work, same problem with rain and heavy overcast they don't have the size
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
The problem is not being a eastern arc satellite as I have accessed 72.7 on the coast of Washington.

The problem is that Dish changed the channels on 72.7, nothing else. Using the Pathway x2, it looks at 72.7 so all channels are visible on both receivers.

My biggest problem is that the word was not sent to the folks that are the techs, nor to the customers.
timandpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by timandpeggy View Post
The problem is not being a eastern arc satellite as I have accessed 72.7 on the coast of Washington.

The problem is that Dish changed the channels on 72.7, nothing else. Using the Pathway x2, it looks at 72.7 so all channels are visible on both receivers.

My biggest problem is that the word was not sent to the folks that are the techs, nor to the customers.
OK, I get it you are upset they didn't tell you they made a change. But that doesn't explain why you get all the channels when using one receiver, but lose a bunch when you plug in the second receiver. I am confused?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
OK, I get it you are upset they didn't tell you they made a change. But that doesn't explain why you get all the channels when using one receiver, but lose a bunch when you plug in the second receiver. I am confused?
I am also confused. I always use the EA sats and nothing has changed about mine but I only have 1 receiver (Hopper 3) and feed it with a standard 1000.2 dish with Hybrid LNB.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Interesting blog. I have 1 X2 and 2 ZIP211 receivers. We have always set up with 1 receiver on the setup screen. Download the program guide and later turn on the 2nd receiver. Works for me and we are in the West--Colorado and Utah most of the time. Keep posting.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:16 AM   #12
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
The channels you are talking about were moved to the 61.5 sat where the majority of the channels reside. They are making room for more channels on the Eastern arc. I thought the Pathway saw all the Eastern arc? This has been discussed on the Satellite forums.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote