Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #21
Rookey
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19613
I'm using the Andersen hitch and really like it. The truck is a short bed GMC. We live at end of a cul-de-sac so have to make a tight U turn every time we pack unit at our house. The fiver comes close to cab but does go behind cab but does not hit. Had a Pullrite slider for previous 2500 Chevy and it worked fine. Had put winch in garage in order to remove it when not traveling. Even with that hitch I hit my bed rails a couple times because of having to back over hilly terrain with some swales.

2018 Montana Legacy 3160RL
2017 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Duramax, CC, 4x4
Rookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #22
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandJoyce View Post
The bottom is all sealed up with no place to attach the tie down straps. Any one install them? How did you attach them and where did you place them? I think there should be one lt. and rt. off King pin location, 4 on lt. side and 4 on rt. of unit. Any suggestions?

We have the site rented for the whole year and don't have to move it. We are considered rented 6 months+1 day. It stays on the site. Also, do you install a humidistat to control the humidity or use Damp Rid placed through out the unit? Which is the best and why.

Guess you can tell this is my first time leaving the unit on site in FLORIDA for the summer. Any suggestions? I'm on a concert pad. I looked at the straps in Home Depo. I would have to purchase a Hammer Drill to set the anchors.

thanks John

John you might get t response if you start your own thread.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #23
GritCityGuy

M.O.C. #19326
Send a message via AIM to GritCityGuy
I have a 2016 340BH too and I use my slider quite a bit on my F250. I've gotten pretty good at the routine of moving it and it just makes tight spots easier to manage.
GritCityGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #24
wcockerham

M.O.C. #22558
My question is, is your truck a short bed or long bed? Long bed should not be an issue.
wcockerham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #25
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
look at the superlite 20k hitch. I have been using ours for over 2yrs now, with our Ford f250 SB nd 331rl. Works get for us.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #26
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
You need to take a tape measure and measure from the king pin to the corner of the cap. Then measure from the center of the hitch to the cab and make sure you have clearance to a couple points on the cab not just the corner. You need 3 to 6 inches to clear the cab. My B&W hitch had to move it back one hole. I did some u turns with mine and never had a problem but one time I tried this move I ran out of luck. A slider would halved helped I guess but I probably wouldn't get out and slide the hitch back and I was on a hill so that probably not able to do anyway. I do however watch when I make sharp turns. I wouldn't purchase a slider. The B&W has adjustments to move the hitch back to compassionate for this.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #27
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Towing without a slider hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Keep reading and you'll even find folks with a slider, who thought they would be careful enough not to have to use the slider and then found out that on uneven ground with the RV tilting one way and the RV the other it's still easy to knock out the back window.
One day I thought I could be careful enough to back the fiver without sliding the hitch. It was an easy back in site but there was a curbing or gutter in front the site. As I backed in at an angle the trailer pitched to one side and just that quick the damage was done. So from that time on I have always worked the slider hitch so that it slides anytime I am backing,

The last hitch I bought was an automatic sliding hitch. The Pulrite Superglide. It's an amazing hitch. It's not cheap but you never have to worry about your camper hitting the cab of the truck. In bad weather you don't have to get out of the truck to activate the manual sliding hitch by pulling a lever. There are some draw backs to the hitch such as you need to be on level ground to hook and unhook and to release the locking pin you have to back into the hitch to unhook. Once you learn the perks of the hitch it is a good product.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #28
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Towing without a slider hitch

There will come a day when towing without a slider hitch on a shortbed truck will catch up with you. No matter how careful you are there is always the unexpected. I was backing into a driveway, no big deal right, when the camper went into the gutter of the street it tilted to one side and the damage was done.

I now have a Pullrite 4400 20K SuperGlide hitch. I don't have to get out to pull a lever to make the hitch slide as it does it automatically. There are some draw back to the hitch but once you learn it little perks it is a great hitch.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #29
TBW Ventures
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21572
I have an F350 with the 6’9” box. When on a flat and being careful it’s not an issue. I tested it in the cul de sac, all good. Sadly on our first trip out with the new rig, I was on a incline with the trailer and truck at different angles.

The short version is the rig got damaged and I needed to replace the back window of the truck. Not fun.

I then switched to a slider and have used it about 10% of the time but I am so glad to have the option. I had considered getting it originally, and I should have for the ~400 dollar difference. It cost me 5 times that to learn the hard way.

And my wife regularly reminds me of the experience.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #30
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
I'm with Dixie. We have GMC regular bed (6.5 ft) and decided at the outset to install an automatic slider hitch. We chose the Pullrite SuperGlide and haven't looked back. I don't like the idea of pulling into a shopping center and worry about pulling a lever or whatever for the slider. It does it automatically when you turn more than 18 degrees off straight. It's heavy, maybe 300 lbs, and I have a winch lift in my garage to take it out in 10 minutes. I wouldn't be without it. As said before, just one time when RV meets back of t;ruck and the hitch is paid for!
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:04 AM   #31
Wamoore

M.O.C. #23358
They are just not for backing up pulled into a parking lot and had to make a sharp U-turn pulling forward caught the edge of the cab of the truck $526 damage to camper
Wamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #32
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Still recommend looking at the Pullrite superlite 20k, with the ball in the forward position. Can make a 90 without hitting the cab.

2015 Ford f-250 sb 6.7
2018.5 331RL high Country
Old 03-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #33
tksouth
Established Member

M.O.C. #23412
Does the Montana Max-Turn design make any difference? The videos on-line show you can turn up to 79 degrees with a non sliding hitch and a short bed truck and not have any contact. It looks pretty impressive in the videos but I'm not sure if it's really that good. Thanks
tksouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #34
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
I dont understand why you wouldn’t put in a slider hitch. Why take the chance of damaging your truck or your 5er. Sure many have had no problem but why take the chance. If its the price, it will more than pay for itself the first time you damage your truck or 5th wheel. Just my opinion.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #35
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Slider hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksouth View Post
Does the Montana Max-Turn design make any difference? The videos on-line show you can turn up to 79 degrees with a non sliding hitch and a short bed truck and not have any contact. It looks pretty impressive in the videos but I'm not sure if it's really that good. Thanks

It's Murphy's Law that will get you everytime
Old 03-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #36
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksouth View Post

Max-Turn doe NOT take into account....backing in at an angle, uphill/downhill with the roadway leaning to the left or right side. That kind of backing is very common at a lot of campgrounds that we have utilized throughout the years.

Slider Hitch = Insurance, in my opinion.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #37
TBW Ventures
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21572
That is exactly the issue, its all about the angles as ‘CarWin’ suggests. That is what got me, I agree it is insurance that I wish I had originally.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #38
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
well we did it, traded our sb f250 for a new lb f350 with the puck system.We will still be using the pullrite superlite 20k hitch, with there puck adapter system. our first pull test will be latter this month.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #39
TBW Ventures
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21572
Congrats. The puck system works really well, I think you’ll be happy!