Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Guess I will try a TST repeater

I have noticed something interesting that developed with the TST tire monitoring system since the addition of the auxiliary fuel tank and the purchase of the new Big Sky. I am not sure what is the culprit, but noticed on the couple of trips that we have taken that signal loss is occurring on the rear tires of the rig. I can take the monitor back to the tires and the signal is picked up but take it back to the truck cab, and the signal loss recurs. Replaced the batteries in the sensors to no avail, so I guess I will be adding a repeater to the Spring purchase list before our first expedition at Easter. I actually think it is related somehow to the Big Sky since we did not have any problems with the sensors when pulling the 3750FL even after adding the auxiliary fuel tank. At least it will be a cheap addition compared to the other items currently on the list.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Which antenna are you using, window mount or small stick. I have the aux fuel tank and tool box in long wheel base truck and have never lost signal, with window mount, mounted on front window.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We have the TireTraker and I had to get the repeater to put in our 3455SA towed with a Dodge short box. Another member has the same trailer and tows it with a Ford long bed with no issues. Another member has the same system, a 3400 towed with a Dodge dually and no problems.

Before adding the repeater I could not get any readings at all in the cab of the truck, but if I took the monitor back to the trailer or left it in the trailer it worked fine. Once we added the repeater everything has worked as it should. I was skeptical, but pleasantly pleased

Jack

Old 12-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I added the repeater and just hung it in the back window. Good reception now all the time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I was having the same problem with the rear. When I dropped down the tail gate it worked fine. The problem was the generator and all the solar batteries in the front of the unit. I added the repeater and it took care of it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Interesting! We have the TST with the short stubby antenna sitting in the left corner of the dash and no repeater. We have had no issues of picking up a signal with our Big Sky 3700RL and long bed F350. I bought a repeater when we purchased the TST and have never taken it out of the package.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I installed the repeater in the front garage of the trailer and it did the job.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayghost03

Which antenna are you using, window mount or small stick. I have the aux fuel tank and tool box in long wheel base truck and have never lost signal, with window mount, mounted on front window.
The antenna is an integral part of the display monitor. I have moved the display monitor around in the truck to no avail. I do not think it is distance, I think it is some sort of interference that is caused from the Big Sky electronics. LED's, Generator, Level ups? Have no idea but will get the repeater since it seems all have had good results with it. Will probably install it in the front battery compartment initially to see if that eliminates the loss of signal.
Bingo
Old 12-29-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Bingo - which TST do you have? Both of mine came with a short stubby antenna that screwed into the left side of the monitor. The first one came with an extended antenna that I mounted in the rear of the truck and I've never had any problems with readings.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I started by mounting mine on the lower left side of windshield. It takes about 2 minutes to start reading once I fire it up but has never lost signal. I have never tired it in the middle of windshield or anywhere else nor do I have anything buy short stubby antenna.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Bingo - which TST do you have? Both of mine came with a short stubby antenna that screwed into the left side of the monitor. The first one came with an extended antenna that I mounted in the rear of the truck and I've never had any problems with readings.
Short stubby antenna is all ours came with that is on the side of the display. We have the 507 system with the user replaceable batteries. I never had a problem with the display picking up the sensors on the 3750FL, it just started with the Big Sky so there has to be some sort of interference or signal blockage associated with the rig. The distance from the display to the sensors has not changed either, nor the placement of the display in the truck.
Bingo
Old 12-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have the booster antenna mounted on the inside of my back window. I have Hopkins monitor system and the mfr mentioned that the 3400 axle distance from the dash would be marginal without it. So far it has been working great - when I had the monitors on the tires...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Bingo I think it is the "stealth" colors of your new Montana that is the problem, you likely can't be picked up on radar either...

Mine I mounted in the Propane compartment on drivers side.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Short stubby antenna is all ours came with that is on the side of the display. We have the 507 system with the user replaceable batteries. I never had a problem with the display picking up the sensors on the 3750FL, it just started with the Big Sky so there has to be some sort of interference or signal blockage associated with the rig. The distance from the display to the sensors has not changed either, nor the placement of the display in the truck.
Bingo
I'm not sure how much the repeaters cost, but you might ask about the extended antenna - if they are still available. Mine has a cable on it and is just long enough to reach the inside back cab wall on our crew cab. I don't remember for certain if the first unit came with the extended antenna free or for an additional cost, but even at additional cost, it should be cheaper than the repeater. Heck, maybe they'd even give you one.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is some advice that I took to heart, Tom. Figured what the heck and e-mailed them to see if the extended antenna is still available. If not, I can still resort to the repeater. Thanks for the idea!
Bingo
Old 12-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
We have not had a problem with signal lose.

Bingo, maybe your wireless camera is the culprit. Try turning that off and see if you get a good signal.

I am betting it is causing interference.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigsky3625RE

Bingo, maybe your wireless camera is the culprit. Try turning that off and see if you get a good signal.

I will try it in the Spring, but it would seem odd that the interference would only affect the two sensors that just happen to be the farthest away from the monitor. As stated, I can take the monitor out of the truck back to the rig and the signal reappears with the camera on. Ed may be on to something, there might be something magical in the paint!!
Bingo
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
When I upgraded to the new monitor and sensors, they sent me the repeater free. It's worth asking.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815

Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #20
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Talked to Mike at TST and he recommended that I go ahead and bite the bullet and purchase the repeater. He did offer to send the extended antenna at no charge, but recommended the repeater to insure there would be no reception problems due to the length of the rig. Guess I will heed his advice and place the order for the repeater. Customer service at this place is great since I had also mentioned needing some of the outer shell o-rings, and he said to include a note with the order of what is needed and they would send them out at no-charge. I do remember contacting them last year for the small o-rings that are inside the sensor and they provided them at no charge as well.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.