Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Direct tv networks

wondering if i should get the "locals networks' or the DNS networks? I am told with the local network (which covers the area you actually in) all I would have to do when moving to another area is call direct 800# give them the new zip code, (not billing address) and I could recieve the local network for that area. Can anyone who has this service clarify this for me please. thanks

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:14 AM   #2
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Yes that is true, however they may try to tell you to sign an RV waiver but that is not needed and costs an extra 10.00 a month. What it is is they give you a subscription to the network east and west coast feeds for that 10 bucks. This is not what you are looking for and make sure they understand that. When you talk to the person make sure they understand what you are trying to accomplish with getting the locals. Most customer service people at Direct TV do not understand this may have to ask for a supervisor.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:05 AM   #3
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
thanks Tom Gina, I kinda figured that would be the way, thats what the Direct tv owner/installer told me but wanted to confirmed this with someone thats had the experience with this. I had Dish network for almost 9 yrs but without any locals. I dont want the DNS networks but just the locals wherever I move. thanks again for your info
Old 04-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
We have attempted to have DTV "change" are local stations while traveling and have been refused each time. Both by the agent & supervisor, so what is the "proper word or phrase" to use?
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
BW2 , I dont believe we can get the "locals" everywhere we move. I had them in waynesville NC where I had direct tv installed in my monty. But now every time I move I call direct and they are very nice and they do try to get them in for me, but it just wont work. I found out in some areas I would have to have a different dish (an oval one) So I just now filled out the waiver and sent it back to direct to get the DNS. I'll be getting them in about 5 to 10 days after they recieve the waiver form.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
We do have the oval dish so that my be a factor. My bill goes to my forwarding address and I get the locals in the Ft. Worth area here. I was persistent to get the locals and did get them. If you are moving around a lot might not be worth the effort. I am pretty much stationary for a while.

Hope this helps.....
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have no idea what is going on with DTV. We have the round dish and get the local channels where ever we go with no problem with anyone at DTV (thus far) We even got the change without asking. We had our mail forwarded to Apache Junction, Az and when DTV noted that our service address had changed switched us to the AJ local channels. When we returned to Ohio we were still on AJ time on our DTV and had to call them to have it changed back to our zip code to get our local channels. It sounds like it may be the luck of the draw as to who you speak to at DTV on having the local channels changed to your zip code.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
This may or may not help, we have Dish.

We signed an RV waiver with DNS, pay an extra $9/month for East/West feeds minus $5 a month for the orginal local channels we had paid for in the beginning....don't pay that any more.

We have local channels now from Atlanta and the Bay area...works great for us.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We like the east and west feeds, because if we want to watch two programs that are on at the same time, we can watch one and pick up the second one later on the other coast. Nformally I just flip to the dpark cable for the local channels, haven't tried to get DTV to give me local feed.
bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 AM   #10
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Got my DNS the next day after faxing in the waiver, and really enjoy them. And I get them anywhere I move. The weather was the main reason I wanted the "local locals", but I can get that with the roof antenna, or on the weather radio.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Just got off the phone with Direct TV Customer service about hooking up their system to my Tana. Was told they do not do installs on RV's anymore. I would have to go somewhere like CW to get my system installed. Does this seem to be the case with anyone else?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote