Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Florida Cold

We are on the National news. Worst cold spell in "decades" Citrus crop is in danger. Power plants are operating at capacity, Shelters are open for folks who need it. 20's and 30's are no big deal for us snowbirds and we have no problem but it is a disaster for the locals. Average temp this time of year is 72 day and 52 night. I am seeing 43 degrees outside my window at 6:52Pm. We will break records tonite as 27 is predicted wind 10 to 12 MPH. This will go on all week. Since we did not get the"warm and toasty " package in this 3400 we are a bit chilly. Temp set at 70 and two heaters going. This is the coldest we have seen in this 3400..it is not a good thing. This AM it was 29 degrees at 7AM. The C.G filled 35 30lb propane tanks yesterday. Folks are getting 3 /4 days out of a tank... we will be empty in the AM for sure. Helen is glad she is not working at Disney this week. This is Florida..we want our Money back..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colder over here in Gulf Shores, was mid 20's last night, and they are whispering the number 17 tonight. I have even heard the words "sleet" and "snow" for Thursday.

Al found out that sleeping with a hoodie on and hoodie ON his head was pretty good stuff last night.

We watched today as a LOT of people in this park were thawing out hoses.

Our water supply bib froze last night, so you know it will freeze again tonight.

We are running on fresh water and pump system.

The fellow next to us, who says he has been coming here for 13 years has NEVER used his fresh water tank, and says tonight he will take the hose in.

While I was shopping today, Al was sitting (nursing that ankle) and got chatting with another fella (also waiting for his wife). Discovered we lived about 10 houses from each other way back in the early 70's. Not that that has ONE thing to do with this conversation! This other fella is full timing, went out and spent a lot of $$ getting heat tape and stuff to keep his water running. When Al described our method, full tank and pump, the wife looked at her man and asked, "why didn't we do that".

It has been an interesting day. Oh, yea.

On top of the 15 inches of rain in December, I have to say, as nice as the Gulf Shores area is, this weather has been frightful. BLECH!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
Don't pack up and come to the Rio Grande Valley in south Texas. We are due for lows of 30 starting Friday morning and continuing for several days. High on Friday to be 39. I guess we need to go further south this year.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Rich....don't forget to let your water drip out of a faucet tonight so you don't freeze up your outside water line.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Sounds like Global Warming to me!!
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree Gulf Shores (Foley) is cold, last winter we didn't have to disconect the water hose but did in Tampa in Jan. Delaine is having to really suck it up, she has a hard time with cold weather. Had to take her to Dr Sunday night. Next winter it looks like Arizona (Casa Grande), she just checked the temps in Casa Grande and its 70 degrees today. On well fill up the fresh water tank and turn the pump on. The water hose has been diconected for the last two days but did connect today to do laundry. But I just disconected again. Oh well this Global warming thing is bad. I really don't like to drip water, but I did leave the light on in the docking station and its heated also. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We want our money back too, we're in Rockport and it's cold here too. Cold everywhere but back home there's snow with the cold-it's all relative.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
We were in tenn last week. give up sunday mourning and run for SC +4 wind chill when we left. has anybody had problems with there galley tank valve freezing. Mine will with the heat on. no problems with either of the front tanks. I will take the belly down when it warms up a little and reinsulate my artic package.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Bobby,

Neighbor in an SOB had his grey valve freeze up. He called the dealer and they told him to reposition the furnace vent/tube that blows into the basement area. His (and I assume ours from what I hear) is just a small 2" tube that sits down there and they told him it could shift during transport. He was able to re-position it so it blew more directly onto his tanks/valves and solved his problem.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Where is Al Gore when you need him?
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Holy cow Steves.... Thanks for reminding me.. I never thought of doing that.. I mean we are in Florida !!!! I went out and covered filters and did all the freeze stuff.. Freeze and Florida never connected even tho they are saying hard freeze for tonite 26 degrees.. Ye gads.. I will bet the diesel will gel///
Old 01-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey Rich, how about if I send you some of the White Sunshine we have here! We have about 17-20 inches on the ground now and are in a Winter Storm Watch effective early tomarrow morning! Predicting 2" tonight and 4-6" tomarrow with 20-30 mph NW winds and gust up to 40. Windchills they say will be reaching 30-40 BELOW!! Ouch!! They still won't predict Thursday! Sure glad we're heading South in three days! Checked the weather there and Cairns is 86* with 67% humidity and Ayers Rock is at 91* with only 37% humidity making it feel like 93* and it's only 5:30 AM down there now! Sure beats this 1* here in Omaha, which it has been all day, with 67% humidity right now and a breeze out of the NW at 5MPH giving us a windchill of -9*! Come on Friday afternoon! I'll see if I can help you poor people that are so called Snowbirds and send some of that heat from Downunder back up your way! OK? OK!! Be talk'n to ya later, Mate!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
It has been cool here in AZ too. One morning it was 34. Don't remember it being this cool last winter!
The dogs are wearing sweaters on the morning walks!
Usually nights are in low 40s and days are 60s to 80. So that is not too bad but last year we all were wearing shorts!

We put foam tubing over our fresh water hose last spring. Just slips over the hose. Has worked well in 20 degree weather in Colorado last spring. Home depot and Lowes have it.

Have been keeping warm and toasty here in AZ during this cool weather. Those dual pane windows work great!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Burrr.. They are closing some schools here in Florida because of heaters not working. I know that my plants will all be dead when we get back to Silver Springs tomorrow. I just hope that someone vovered my palm trees. I would hate to lose those. It is 25 in Wachula this morning and our water line is frozen

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Three years ago in the RGV it was cold most of January and almost two weeks of February, We did not go this year so we are watching the post. I can remember going to the local dollar store and getting a stocking hat and gloves. I had on all the warm gear that I took for the trip from Michigan. I would walk the dog in the dark early morning all bundled up with the cold wind blowing a misty rain and thinking I came down here for this. I will still trade for anything above the teens.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I feel for the Snowbirds, however I seem to remember a few poking fun at us Northerners for not heading South to avoid the cold weather. Do I sense some sort of Poetic Justice at work here??? As Rondo said, it could be worse, we are single digit wind chills here in the Mountain State and getting colder every day along with the neverending snowflakes that are visible everywhere. I wonder if cap-and-trade emiisions limitiations will alleviate the cold temperatures?? Sorry couldn't resist the dig at the party that is in control of our destiny and pocketbooks. Bundle up and stay warm guys, Spring is coming.............MAYBE?????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #17
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Wed AM - temp was 28 here this morning according to my thermometer - TV reported 23 at Ocala. Water left to drip last night and we are good shape this AM with all systems functioning - especially the furnace. It's cold but we don't have SNOW!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is still below freezing here near Disney at 8:45AM. We snowbirds know how to deal with this "sort of cold" weather but it is a disaster to the native Florida folks and the regional economy. 26 Degrees was the low and it may as well have been -26 degrees in terms of the personal and economic damage it is causing. It is not over..

This is the coldest weather we have had in this 3400. It did not do well. Tank of propane gone in 3 1/2 days. We wrapped all the water lines so we did not freeze.Furnace ran near all night to maintain 70 degrees in addition to 2 heaters on the floor. My feet are cold under the computer desk. The slide wall just to my left at the computer desk is cold to the touch.. Bet the dual pane windows would have helped a lot with the cold walls. We keep the day/night shades down and that takes care of the windows but every slide wall is cold.. We are sort of warm and toasty .. from the knees up.. and as long as we stay away from the inside of the slides... but at a big price. Local news is reporting power outages as we speak.. record power use ..conserve power.... the Kipor is ready. I am in sweats and heavy sweat shirt..Inside the camper....

But we are warm and toasty...right...[:O]
Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Tampa and Ft Meyers set record lows last night.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Tampa and Ft Meyers set record lows last night.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote