Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Leak in Shower

We just got out again after a month at home, and noticed a small rust line from the bottom of the bar that where the shower head slides. I cleaned it up and made sure everything was dry and I see a very small drip coming from the bottom of the bar where attached to the shower wall. Anyone else have this issue? I could easily seal around it but concerned that maybe the leak could be behind the shower wall. Could not find any moisture anywhere else. Thoughts???

CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The only thing there that is rusting, is the screws used to attach that fixture to the shower wall. I replaced all those screws, in addition to the screws holding the shower door sides to the walls, which were also rusting, with stainless steel sheet metal screws. I removed the covers on the ends of that bar to access the screws, and removed a couple of them, and also removed a couple of screws holding the shower door sides, went to the hardware store and purchased the stainless steel screws. There has not been any rust since replacing the screws. There are two different lengths, but I believe the screws are #8, of the two lengths, and I used round Phillip head screws, which do not really show against the bronze metal, as they reflect the bronze and seem to blend in. Also, the covers on the bar are plastic, and just slide off away from the wall. I used a thin flat putty knife to get them to move.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Did the same as Rohrmann plus drilled an additional hole in the plastic fixture cover at the bottom to allow it to drain. The water just stays in the cover rusting the cheap screws they used..
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Thank you guys - I knew you had the answer and I am so glad it's not a bigger issue. I'll replace those screws this week!!!
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote