Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
Big Al Greer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13206
1960 then - 2013 Now OH How True

For those who remember the " Good Old Days " WHERE DID THEY GO ...

And it will only get worst from here...

Scenario 1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2012 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers

Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2012 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it .

Scenario 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2012 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2012 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock .
2012 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons

Scenario 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2012 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2012 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy

Big Al Greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Amen
mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
So true and so sad.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Scenario 9:
Ozz drives truck through Goodyear, Arizona.
1957:Local Constable pulls Ozz over and mentions he may have lost his license plate somewhere as he didn't see it on the rear of the truck. Ozz tells him his license plate is on the front of the truck as his home state requires it to be displayed there. Constable says"Wow", I just learned something new today and starts talking about his first camper as a kid and how much he enjoyed going up to the lake and fishing with dad.

2013: Ozz is driving through Goodyear, hears a siren and sees flashing lights directly behind him. A policeman immediately exits his police cruiser and signals Ozz to get out of his truck. He tells Ozz he is in violation of a local ordinance requiring license plates to be displayed at the rear of the vehicle so he can see them easier as he sits in his vehicle surfing the web. He also asks Ozz why isn't there an NRA sticker in his back window. When Ozz begins to explain his home state requires him to do this, the policeman takes this a being combative and a potential flight risk and immediately calls in back-up. 5 more cruisers show up within minutes. 2 cruisers close the street and block traffic both ways. Another has his K-9 partner with him and begins to circle Ozz's truck. The other 2 open up their trunks, don bullet proof vests. They begin to question Ozz who is now sprawled out on his hood, hands behind his back. The ask him why he is in Goodyear, why he has a lack of respect for the authorities, and his gang affiliation with this group called the MOC. The K-9 has now stopped in front of the passenger window of the truck looking at an empty bag ringed with white powder. They also question Ozz why this same powder is all over his mustache and on his t-shirt. He tries to explain he just came from Dunkin Doughnuts and he's sorry for eating the whole bag and not saving any for Sue, because this could have cleared him. One of the officers puts on a pair of latex gloves, puts some of the powder in a capsule, shakes it, and confirms it is confectioners sugar and was the same as what was on his doughnuts this morning. The senior watch officer for the city has now shown up and discusses the matter with the group in private and confirms because Ozz is not a local, we shall use the snowbird ordinance on him. He is immediately issued a ticket and warned to not set foot in this town again except to oay his fine.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ranch560

Scenario 9:
Ozz drives truck through Goodyear, Arizona.
1957:Local Constable pulls Ozz over and mentions he may have lost his license plate somewhere as he didn't see it on the rear of the truck. Ozz tells him his license plate is on the front of the truck as his home state requires it to be displayed there. Constable says"Wow", I just learned something new today and starts talking about his first camper as a kid and how much he enjoyed going up to the lake and fishing with dad.

2013: Ozz is driving through Goodyear, hears a siren and sees flashing lights directly behind him. A policeman immediately exits his police cruiser and signals Ozz to get out of his truck. He tells Ozz he is in violation of a local ordinance requiring license plates to be displayed at the rear of the vehicle so he can see them easier as he sits in his vehicle surfing the web. He also asks Ozz why isn't there an NRA sticker in his back window. When Ozz begins to explain his home state requires him to do this, the policeman takes this a being combative and a potential flight risk and immediately calls in back-up. 5 more cruisers show up within minutes. 2 cruisers close the street and block traffic both ways. Another has his K-9 partner with him and begins to circle Ozz's truck. The other 2 open up their trunks, don bullet proof vests. They begin to question Ozz who is now sprawled out on his hood, hands behind his back. The ask him why he is in Goodyear, why he has a lack of respect for the authorities, and his gang affiliation with this group called the MOC. The K-9 has now stopped in front of the passenger window of the truck looking at an empty bag ringed with white powder. They also question Ozz why this same powder is all over his mustache and on his t-shirt. He tries to explain he just came from Dunkin Doughnuts and he's sorry for eating the whole bag and not saving any for Sue, because this could have cleared him. One of the officers puts on a pair of latex gloves, puts some of the powder in a capsule, shakes it, and confirms it is confectioners sugar and was the same as what was on his doughnuts this morning. The senior watch officer for the city has now shown up and discusses the matter with the group in private and confirms because Ozz is not a local, we shall use the snowbird ordinance on him. He is immediately issued a ticket and warned to not set foot in this town again except to oay his fine.

That's cold! Funny, but cold!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Poor Ozz- Wrong place, wrong time again? JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
this is right up there with the original post. This was in our local paper in the opinion section.

The quote goes, An 18th century Scottish historian Alexander F Tytler. The average life span of the world's greatest civilization has been 200 years..... From bondage to spiritual faith to great courage to liberty to abundance to selfishness to complacency to apathy to dependence and back to bondage.
So where is America in the cycle.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
SOOOOOO, OZZ is actually a CRIMINAL. I always thought there was something strange about him. The OZZ Mods was just a coverup. And he was actually stealing the copper wires from all the AC units he fixed. Bad OZZ, Bad OZZ. (Must be a lazy Saturday afternoon here in Casa Grande with the temp at a balmy 72 degrees). LOL
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Both posts are so sad, but true.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
Ozzie, how is tent city? Did they have any of those pink undies in your size? Great scenarioies-funny!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Tyler's book is one of my favorites and I believe had there been a NYT best seller list at the time (1770), it would have been number 1!

Quote:
quote:Alexander Fraser Tyler, Cycle Of Democracy (1770)

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over lousy fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average of the world's great civilizations before they decline has been 200 years. These nations have progressed in this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; from faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to Complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependency; from dependency back again to bondage.
We're a generation past the 200 year average...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The only thing sad about scenario # 9.... is that I didn't write it. Great writing!
When I was sitting in the truck with both hands in the top of the steering wheel, I was thinking about how many ways this stop could escalate into pretty much what you wrote. Since I never clean out my truck, it's hard telling what is in there... besides a loaded 12 ga. shotgun, a 30 round 12 ga bandoleer with slugs, 00 shot, bird-shot, another box of 12 ga. shells,a .22 rifle around 300 rounds of ammo, my loaded Glock, another 300 rounds of 9mm, 6ea 9mm 17 round clips, and a hatchet.
Good thing Arizona has the most liberal gun laws in the nation. And he got hot standing in the Sun berating me.
To the original post, great post, and really sad when you think about it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #13
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
If you had been incarerated, I'm sure we'uns wouldve banded together to break you out or pay your fine- Excuse my attempt at humor but I truly believe we Mocers do stick together even though we sometimes have disagreements- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The OP forgot to mention that in all cases, Jack, Johnny, Mark, Jeffrey and Billy were 9 year olds in the older timeframe and 16 year olds in the newer timeframes. Check it out, it fits!

We won't go over Ozz's age. Any age of Ozz's lifetime fits all stories at all times and Ozz's life stories are the same as all of ours, combined. Who else would get in trouble in Goodyear, AZ? I've been through there so many times I lost count and at last check if I blinked my eyes, I'd miss it. Leave it to Ozz to create a scene there.

I hope I don't get stuck to any MOCer unless I screw around with the SuperGlue once again. As for pitching in for Ozz, I can find a few pennies the same place Ozz would. Lying around in the cracks and crevices of my TV. No matter how good I clean it, I can always find pennies in there.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:
Am I the only one to remember some other things?

** rampant racial discrimination... And all the violence associated with it.

** The Cold War... Anyone remember that? Do you remember hiding under your desk to protect yourself from the Atomic bomb?

** Korean Police Action

** Vietnam War

While I firmly believe we must learn and remember the lessons of the past(or be doomed to repeat our failures) we must look forward for a better future. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Quote:
quote:
Am I the only one to remember some other things?

** rampant racial discrimination... And all the violence associated with it.

** The Cold War... Anyone remember that? Do you remember hiding under your desk to protect yourself from the Atomic bomb?

** Korean Police Action

** Vietnam War

While I firmly believe we must learn and remember the lessons of the past(or be doomed to repeat our failures) we must look forward for a better future. Dennis
It's the nature of our memories that we tend to remember the good things and block out the bad. Many things about the "Good Old Days" weren't so good, including the things you mention. I would also include health care and technology (or should I say lack of) to your list.

Still, there were many things that were better. Too bad we can't have it both ways.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote