Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #21
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hey Guys, we are in Malakoff, Texas and it's raining. We have the 5th wheel inside a huge building will get some pic later. Our Son and Daughter live here and DIL manages this property. Its like a State park we are located West of Athens, the building is very strong and well build. Texas has just put the National Guard on standby. I agree you never want to be in strong winds (100mph), if your on the road and can get to a Truck Stop and park between the big Trucks and back or front to the wind. We have done that before and it will help. GBY...

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #22
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Wayne, I "stays" in the Rosanky area, kinda between Bastrop and Gonzales, right on top of a big hill, taking into account the size of the hills in this area. I had planned to go to the VERY BEEEEEUTIFUL STATE of COLORADO (hows that Brad) before this IKE came about. Brad, we plan to go into Durango and ride the train, a couple of the folks on this trip have never done it. We also plan to hop on the bikes and ride over to South Fork and down to Creede. Been a real long time since going over Wolf Creek Pass, hope the construction is done, and the weather smiles on us. If you plan on being in the area, shout out would like to meet you in person. Wayne, have you decided which way to boogie? Keep your head down and be safe, but I suspect you have heard that before.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #23
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Looks like we will sit until Thursday in San Antonio and then decide where to head. Looks like west out I-10 toward Big Spring or San Angelo would be a safe bet. That is only about a 300 mile run.
We just got the Monty back from the dealer after some insurance work--I would sure hate to have to take it back for more! I noticed Tex-All RV and Marine (our Monty Dealer) had their storm instructions out for the staff to secure all the RV's and boats on Friday.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, we decided to go to Park On The Lake, in Willis, TX. It's not that far up the road, but with what we have seen of the storm it should be far enough to avoid any strong winds. They are hoping for rain up there so I guess it's been dry around the Lake Conroe area.

If the winds pick up we will take appropriate, I hope, action.

Ole dude,
Next time we go to Rio Raft in Sattler, we'll give you a holler.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #25
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Wayne, ya'll do that, maybe we can hook-up.

Tim and Susan, hopefully the storm will not hit S A too bad, if you decide to hit the road, be safe.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #26
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We are going home to Driftwood Texas, 8 miles out of Austin to ride out the storm. We will leave the Monatna here in San Benito. It looks like Ike will hit Corpus so we will be on the mild side of the storm. We will pull in the slides and go home to the stick house near Austin. We will back to the Monty once we know where we have to help out with insurance losses.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #27
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Colleen-
Looking at this mornings computer models and predicted track your Montana may get better weather than what you will experience in the Austin area. You might be in for considerable wind and rain. This is a new site that I found a couple days ago in the Houston Chronicle.

http://www.stormpulse.com/
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #28
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Well Tim I don't know that I would wait till Thursday to move. Our Monty has sat thru 3 hurricanes with little trouble but thats not saying you won't get some major gusts from the main storm. Right now its 5 hundred miles across and were getting some pretty good storms from it on the east coast of Fla. Once everyone decides to leave then you get stuck in some major traffic that is beyond reason. If I didn't have to stay here for a storm I would run and run far. Good luck and God Bless Texas.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #29
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Today (Wednesday) Local news interviewed some full timers who were in Aransas Pass--directly inline for the storm--who went to Bandera in the Hill Country. We put our Monty in the storage area near Boerne until we decide to leave. There were many RVs heading west on I-10. I would expect the longer we wait the farther we will have to drive to get a spot--my DW like AC and Cable!
We were in Rockport in May and kayaked around the old airport in Aransas Pass that sticks out into the bay--it is a RV Park that was full in May. I expect it is empty by now. Any wind at all will clear out any RV left on the runway.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
Old 09-11-2008, 03:09 AM   #30
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Ike seems to be giving the forecasters are hard time. For the past three days the prediction has moved north up the Texas coast until this morning. The track seems to have stabilized and Freeport has become the target. If so, this will result in a bad time for Brazoria, Galveston and Harris counties.

I have great sympathy for those that will suffer from this storm. After living in Brazoria County over 40 years we moved in January some 300 miles inland knowing that sooner or later that this situation would occur. Little did we know that it would be this hurricane season to happen. We have family and many friends that will be directly impacted by Ike.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #31
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Watching the reports with interest and concern.

Our prayers to everyone along the TX coast. Please be safe!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #32
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
RVers from the Houston area and the upper Texas coast are coming into San Antonio now. A couple with a Montana from Sugarland was interviewed by local TV while getting fuel and were headed to Frederickburg. The wife said their house may get flooded in Sugarland but she was not going to loose the MONTANA! Now that shows the Montana owners are sincere about RVing and their Montanas. I hope their stick home is safe because they will be safe in the Hill Country in their Montana.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #33
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We had our last trailer sit through 2 hurricanes in Florida some years back. I filled all the tanks for weight, set the jacks down, chocked it very well and went home to sit out the storms. We couldn't evacuate due to where we were. After the storm it looked like a combat zone and major damage everwhere. The RV did just fine. We lived in it for several weeks in the front yard of our house while repairs were done. Had the only AC, TV and Refer in the area. Ran the generator 24/7 for 2 weeks. Got back in the house and then had to do it all over again a week later. The trailer survived that storm to. Did the same thing for living while doing more repairs. Bless having an RV and we found out they are really tough. It stood up to 2 storms, through the eye with 125mph winds on the second storm. I sure don't want to do it again, our thoughts and prayers are with you folks in Texas. My mother is in Deerpark, just east of Houston.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #34
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
I hope all you folks in Ike's path play it safe and move inland far enough to avoid the worst. As JimF points out worst case and your stick house sustains damage, your Monty will serve as a back-up home until you can repair the stick house.

Before Hanna blew thru, I spent 2 days getting our Monty ready in the event we had to evacuate. I'm going to keep her ready until the end of the season.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #35
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Tim,

Are you staying in San Antonio? There is an RV park near where we live in Dripping Springs. I could call and see if they have room if you are wanting to move a little further away.

Bob sat out Rita in 65mph winds in our SOB.He pulled the slides in and prayed. He didn't think the storm was going to turn in his direction, but it did. The trailer next to him left their slide out and tons of water came into the trailer.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:45 AM   #36
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Wind = GET OUT!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #37
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We talked to a couple we saw in the campground a couple of weeks ago who have a 2004 Montana that "survived" our 120 mph winds we had this summer along with hail, etc. Theirs was sitting next to a barn--the wind took off the roof and airconditioner and some of the lower side panel was torn off by the wheels. If I remember right they had a broken window but everything else was fine. They got it fixed and were camping to make sure there were no other problems--Oh, they did find a frame flex problem that they attributed to the wind and that was fixed by the insurance company--Farm Bureau.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote