Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
Brucelas
Established Member

M.O.C. #18901
2018 3791RD cracked frame

New 3791RD used on one 3 week trip. During the trip we saw the closet wall bowing in towards the wash machine closet, a slight rinkle on the left front where the bedroom slide comes out.

Camping world says they have approval from Keystone to fix the frame under a factory recall. I think the service writer is feeding me a line of bull.

The service guy says they will fix the frame per keystone instructions, then when it is fixed, then they will order all the replacement wood closet parts, which will take 30 days or more. They have already had the 3791 for 30 days.

I told the service writer the new batteries are sitting there going dead, are you going to give me new ones when you are done? he says no, but I can come and get the batteries and keep them charged myself.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would call Keystone and get a recommendation for another dealer. No reason they couldn't order the parts and do the repairs all at once. If they've had it for 30 days you should have it back fixed before now.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Like DQDick says.It will still take time to get the parts from the vendor.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Sounds similar to what happened to mine in '16 and went back to the factory for nearly 4 months. I did a write up on here about the trouble with video of the flex in the left front of the nose under the front part of the bedroom slide. Now, there have been several '18s at my dealer where the closet wood was cut about 5/8" too big and most of it bucked up and came down. The dealer repaired that by taking the wood out and trimming it the 5/8" and putting it back with no problem as it was just bowed out due to being too long. You may be dealing with two separate issues instead of one. I do know now that the frame flex in the nose has a bulletin out on how to repair it that was done after mine and a few others went back to the factory. Some dealers will attempt to repair it, some send it to an RV collision repair facility and some go back to the factory like mine. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One thing I'll add. If you're talking about the wall between the walkin closet and the closet on the right front. I had to have that wall in my 2010 fixed because the washer that was in there got bounced around and knocked it loose into the closet and I just finished rebuilding it on my 2017 after the latch for the walkin closet door pulled it loose into the closet. Becuase of that and some issues on the outside we suspected frame flex on the 2010, but when they took it apart the frame was fine, just had to fix the wall. My dealer had the cap off, back on, resealed, wall fixed and back to me in two days. But, since we full time and they know it, we schedule the work so it can be done that way and won't and can't just give it to a dealer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I keep hearing that Keystone has repair centers? Can you take your trailer directly to one?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our experience is that if you call the service center and ask them to find you a authorized repair center they will normally do so. They have done that over the years with us when we were in need

The service center in Goshen, Ind is a different story and as far as we know you need to have an appointment and authorization to be there. Remember it is not a Montana service center it is a Keystone service center and they service all Keystone brands. They are very busy.

Since we live less than 300 miles from Goshen/Elkhart we go to that area for major repairs as facilities are more knowledgeable . We call the service center and ask for assistance in finding or setting up a appointment with one of their over flow facilities.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote