Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
BearMacDaddy

M.O.C. #8248
Chosing Full Timers Insurance

Hey everyone, I am new to the fulltime concept although I have been fulltiming for the last year or so. I now want to step it up a notch and accually get full time insurance. When I bought my first unit I started out with Foremost. I have really heard good things about them and kind of want to stay with them with the fulltimers insurance. I got quotes from them $1389 and progressive $923 bucks. The progressive quote has me thinking twice about foremost. Has anyone had any deals with Progressive? Let me know good are bad...........Thanks Bear

BearMacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hi Bear! We have had State Farm for years and years and years. However, their fulltime insurance lacks a lot. For instance, if you travel away from you rig and stay in a hotel or a friend or family members house, your rig is not insured. You must be in the rig for it to be insured. We went rounds with our agent.
We ended up with GMAC. They have fulltime insurance the way fulltime insurance should be. We looked at Progressive and still decided to go with GMAC. We kept everything else with State Farm and only moved our truck and rig to GMAC.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am still with Foremost. It is really hard to make sure you are comparing apples and apples when working with different policies from different companies. A pure cost comparison won't get you where I think you want to go. You have to look at what is included in the coverage and, most of all, what is specifically excluded.

Foremost has paid two significant claims on body damage due to blowouts without hassle.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Bear

When we were spending several months at a time in our unit we had fulltiming insurance through Farm & City Insurance in Forest City, IA. They write for several companies. They gave us several side by side quotes from 3 or 4 companies. We have been with them for 9 or 10 years and found them to be very helpful.

They may be able to give you some help.

Dean Nelson
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Hi Bear, When we first got our RV we had foremost on our Teton 40 ft RV and as long as we was sitting still we was covered, but after we moved twice and we had to pay extra for the moving Ins. they told us that they did not cover moving. Then we got GMAC FULLTIMING PACKAGE and it has been great so far...OH!!! That is out of the State of Florida so it might be different where you are.

OH!! I Just paid 1025.00 for 6 Months.

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bear,
Somehow, through the dealer, I ended up with Progressive and I have full replacement value for about $1300. I don't know what you would get with the $900. It also goes by where you are located. Different areas have different rates in my opinion.

I had to submit a claim for a shredded awning when I was traveling. It billowed out and got shredded. The adjuster decided to replace the whole system and Progressive wrote me a check for $1800. I told them it was to much, but they insisted and said I was one of the lucky ones.

I also had to deal with a progressive claim from a motor cycle accident and I did not have progressive. If something were to happen where I needed new insurance for a vehicle, I would strongly consider progressive. Read the small print though, no matter who you go with and make sure you know what you get. Pay attention to the exclusion clauses.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
For some reason that word (Fulltiming) blows the agents away. Over 40 years with State Farm and we go fulltime and they won't talk to us. We have GMAC now and have been happy.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You might check out Explorer RV for full timer's insurance. www.explorerrv.com

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
BearMacDaddy,

Fulltime Rv insurance is the same as RV insurance with one important difference. Fulltime insurance assumes that you do not have personal liability (included with homeowners or renters insurance). Therefore, it is an optional coverage that is added to your policy.

Check out my previous posts for what to look for in an RV policy, http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...=,rv,insurance.

I have represented Foremost for many, many years. They are an outstanding company that in my experience has provided excellent claims service. I have also found them somewhat uncompetitive in our area for RV's. If you want to PM me with the coverages, I'd be happy to give you my thoughts.
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think there's several good companies out there. Prices will vary according to home address, rig, personal information, etc.

Our truck is with Progressive/Drive. Our FW and fulltimers is with National Interstate. We've never had a claim with either so I can't say how they handle claims.

Keep in mind the actual Fulltimers Insurance is nothing other than liability insurance. A lot like renters insurance. It's important in my opinion to have that coverage but also important to make sure you have a separate policy on the FW. Either that or make absolutely sure the rider on the truck policy truly covers all situations a separate policy covers. Ours, in our stick home days, did not.

We renewed the insurance on our Montana and our fulltimers insurance the end of Feb. It is $705 for a year. That does not include the truck. It includes all the usual plus disappearing deductible and full cost reimbursement/replacement of the rig in its first five years of life. And some other things. However, we are registered in South Dakota, which has one of the very lowest insurance rates in the U.S. Third lowest, if I recall.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Factors that affect rates:
  • Price of the unit
  • Age of the unit
  • State on residency and in some states, County of residency
  • Coverages and exclusions
  • deductibles

In general, state insurance laws control what can be offered in a particular state. The same insurance company will have different rates and/or coverages than in the state next door.

At one point in my life I held a securities license and a casualty license along with a life license, all in the state of Texas. Things could get very confusing within the same state much less between states. I have concluded that insurance is an enigma, shrouded in complexity, then clothed with confusion. I become highly skeptical of those who "know" with certainty. Lest ye be offended, the last comment was directed at no prior post. But if the shoe fits.......
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Stiles,

You are right about insurance...having 32 years, specializing in this type of coverage, I run into many misconceptions not only by consumers but underwriters and adjusters as well. This happens frequently when things are 'out of the norm' such as full time RVing. Factor in state variables and nothing is absolute or consistent.
My best advise is always to be as informed as possible and make the best choice.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
BearMacDaddy

M.O.C. #8248
Hey thanks for all the information so far! I read all the post and seems like Gmac kept popping up. So, I called them and got a quote. I was told by a very friendly lady that in order for them to insure my rig with full timers insurance that they would also have to insure my truck. Which is not a problem with me since their quote for both was well below what I would be paying anyway. I still have a few weeks before I really have to make a choice so I do have time to way out all my options. I do fell like I will go with the Gmac though.............Bear
Old 04-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Bear, that's right. We have our truck and rig insured with GMAC. Everything else, house, my car, etc. is still with State Farm. We've never had a claim with GMAC, but the folks we've talked to sure have been helpful and friendly and in my book, that goes a long way.
Tammy
Old 04-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bear, I have no experience with GMAC insurance but if they have the best deal for you, then that's a good choice for you. Good luck. You were smart to shop around.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #16
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We got ours through AON which is a broker but we have fulltime coverage with an additional 20k personal property for around 900 a year. Unfortunately the same insurance we have for the trailer won't cover the truck and the other one we checked that would cover both was 1300 a year for the trailer and 800 for 6 months for the truck.. So for now we still have the truck with AAA and the Big Sky with AON... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
BearMacDaddy

M.O.C. #8248
Hey everyone I did go with Gmac and although I was not just looking at saving money but what insurance I felt best about I did save about $450 bucks a year...............Bear
Old 05-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #18
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Now, you'll have to change your name to BearGmacDaddy! Ha Ha! Glad you found something that would work for you!
Tammy
Old 06-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #19
Jeanne

M.O.C. #8443
Hi we are coming out from the UK and the insurances quotes we have been getting vary so much in cost, also don't really understand your lingo about what to insure on it what is deductibles mean, we would also want to put ours into storage when we return home for a few months and need insurance for that as well, does anybody else do this and is there anybody out there also from out of the US as I have loads of any queries regarding registering etc. Jeanne
Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #20
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Hi Jeanne,
We are former expat's and lived in England for three years from 2002-2005 so I can understand how confusing the differences between our countries are. I would be glad to offer some suggestions but would need lots more info.
Feel free to send me a private email.
Judy Healy
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote