Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2018, 12:18 AM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Another fridge on propane question...

So I tried starting my fridge on propane today while still in the RV storage lot to pre-cool for our trip coming up and it wouldn't start.
Three weeks ago I had the same problem, but we just went out for the weekend and it worked fine on A/C at the campground in Auto mode and when I disconnected it went over to propane just fine and stayed on.
Figured the problem was just air in the lines and all was OK, but now it's doing the same thing.
I tried turning on the burners on the stove to purge any air and they wouldn't come on either!
(Yes, the tanks are full and turned on, and the battery disconnect switch was in the on position )
THEN, I noticed the trailer wasn't sitting quite as level front to rear as I normally park it, so I check with my 2 ft. level and sure enough, it was a full bubble off.
Dumb question time...is that enough to keep the fridge (and stove) from lighting? I hope it's that simple, but if anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear them!
Man I feel like a "newbie"...
Thanks for and advice!

Old 04-28-2018, 04:15 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Being a fiull bubble off of level will not stop either from lighting.

Have you verified the tanks are full?
it your regulator that switches bottles all the way one way or another?
Are the pigtails tight?

Could be a bad regulator also
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:50 AM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I think when the battery disconnect is "on" the battery is off. If you can remove the key the battery is off.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:06 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
If the tanks are full, the stove and furnace don't light on either tank, then I would suspect the changeover propane regulator has failed. Keystone seems to think that a low end Fairview regulator is great but mine as well as many others have found they aren't.

I replaced both the small ipressure step down regulator on the curb side as well as the main one with a Marshall Excel then just because, I also replaced the two very hard hoses, and both of those I replaced were a bit longer for better ease of tank access.

These are the two regulators I used
Marshall Excel MEGR253 Auto Change Over Regulator (Amazon)

and

Marshall Excel MEGR-130-30 is the step down regulator (RV Upgrades)

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:40 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishler View Post
I think when the battery disconnect is "on" the battery is off. If you can remove the key the battery is off.
Check this first.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If neither the fridge or the stove operate you have a propane supply problem. All of the previous suggestions re checking the bottles, pigtails, and regulators should be followed. One other cause may be the propane line into the slide. Some have found the hose gets kinked when the slide is in. Was the slide in when you tried this? Also, does the water heater or furnace run on propane. They are hard piped and not subject to the kinked line problem, If none work, then you have a supply problem for sure.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
If neither the fridge or the stove operate you have a propane supply problem. All of the previous suggestions re checking the bottles, pigtails, and regulators should be followed. One other cause may be the propane line into the slide. Some have found the hose gets kinked when the slide is in. Was the slide in when you tried this? Also, does the water heater or furnace run on propane. They are hard piped and not subject to the kinked line problem, If none work, then you have a supply problem for sure.
Good point, the kinked hose with the slide in is a common problem
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
And did you commit the ultimate no-no of turning the propane tanks on at some other rate than snails pace. If so, then you went into propane lockout.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishler View Post
Well at least on my trailer the battery disconnect is off when I can remove the key. So another words on means the batteries are on and off means they are disconnected and I can remove the key
kingdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
OK update time! I’m at the RV right now and I got it to be more level just in case, and tried everything again. The water heater did come on in DSI mode and now I do have the refrigerator burner on. However the stove is still not working so I’m thinking it may be the kinked hose so I’m going to open the slides and see what I can see.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Another thought is that I am wondering if you’re not supposed to be able to turn the burners on while the slides are in maybe some kind of a safety or something?
Old 04-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
jcurtis934 has a very valid point on the turning of the tanks on to fast. Also, if you just filled your tanks and put them in place the tanks internal cut-off valve may not be open or is open just enough to allow enough propane to flow to get the water heater to light and the frig to light but not enough pressure to let the stove also light. Whenever I fill my tank/s I turn them upside down and tap them on the ground a light tap and then slowly turn them upright again and set them into their respective spot. Then, if I've filled both tanks--which is very rare, I SLOWLY turn on one tank and I normally have propane to all appliances. I've never had the kinked propane line in the slide but there is always a first time experience there also. Let us know what you come up with.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Bingo!! 😃

Yep, opened the slides and sure enough, not one but TWO kinks in the line. Gonna have to redo that line ASAP.Stove burners work, fridge is on propane...all is well for now it seems!
A BIG thank you to all who chimed in and helped me out! This forum is the BOMB! (As my kids might say)! 😄👍👍
kingdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote