Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #41
ltoews
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10846
Expiration date on BlueDEF

The most important part of the batch code is the third through seventh numbers. Here is an example of a batch code: 122027436100 B

There are always going to be two letters or numbers at the beginning of the code, which is the blending facility code, the third and fourth number of the code is the year minus 1. The fifth, sixth and seventh numbers of the code are the days left in the year. So, in my example, that means it was made on the 91st day of the year, April 1, 2019 (365 – 274 = 91)

Breaking down the code
12: The designator of the plant that manufactured the DEF
20: The year of manufacture minus 1, so this DEF was made in 2019
274: Days left in the year. 365 – 274 = 91, so the 91st day of the year, or April 1
36100: The batch code

• Specification life for DEF is 2 years at 75F or so.
• Storage life is highly dependent on temperature. DEF stored at 85F only lasts 12 months. Storage above 95F (not unusual in a vehicle parked in the sun during the summer) is limited to 1 month or so. Reason: The urea in DEF decomposes and creates ammonia liquid and vapor in the jug, causing issues when you open it, and reducing the amount of urea in the DEF when it is used in the vehicle.
• DON’T buy old DEF jugs. When buying DEF in jugs, look at the code. Find a jug made in current year and with the lowest three-digit number you can find in the 5th, 6th and 7th digits. Store it in a cool location out of the sunlight.
• Buy DEF from stores that are likely to move a lot of inventory, have controls on inventory age, and are air conditioned. Not that it is a guarantee, but big-name outfits are likely a good bet.
• DON’T buy jugs of DEF at a gas station that stores them outside, or have obvious signs of degradation like leaks, crystals on the box or jug, or are off color.

ltoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #42
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltoews View Post
<snip>
The most important part of the batch code is the third through seventh numbers. Here is an example of a batch code: 122027436100 B
</snip>
Great info! I needed DEF today and my local auto parts store (no truck stop near me) has the house brand (cheap) and Blue Def (not as cheap). The house brand was an early 2018 batch (boo!) and the Blue Def was 2019 day 190 batch (yea!), Guess which one I bought despite being more expensive.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:16 AM   #43
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
I don't refill DEF till it's almost out. We were on a trip, my turn to drive out in morning. There was a red icon on the dash that looked like fire. Checked the RAM owners manual to see what this icon meant--nothing. Manual gives so much other BS but nothing on what these pictures mean. I saw the DEF gauge and noticed the DEF had gone past the white line into the red line. Now I know what the red fire icon means.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote