Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #1
BobnLee
Established Member

M.O.C. #27342
Gfci driving me nuts

Hi everyone. I'm having quite a time with gfci. I found there are 5 plugs on this including the fridge. Power went out again after making coffee and I tested the gfi which was still in. Now it won't reset. Just changed the gfi two days ago. Anyone here have these issues thanks for any help

BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
make sure that the feed to the gfci is hot, if it is not hot i dont believe that it will reset.
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Agree that a GFCI typically will not reset if there is no power to it. That would be the first thing to check. Five outlets on one circuit breaker is a lot, GFCI or not. The coffee pot will draw 6-8 amps. So if there is much else on any of those outlets it could trip the breaker.

If you do have power, and it still will not reset, then something may actually have a ground fault. Unplug everything on all those outlets and see if the GFCI will reset. If so, then plug them back in one at a time.

If it still will not reset, then your new GFCI may be bad. Possible, but ..... Or you may have a wiring problem, frayed wire, nail or screw punctured a wire, etc.

If the old GFCI was tripping. And the new GFCI tripped after two days, then you may have some kind of intermittent problem, the worst thing to try to troubleshoot.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It also may depend on what's plugged in. GFI's are measuring the electrical loss on the circuit. As I understand it, things like cooking appliances, hair dryers and coffee pots all loose energy when it's converted to heat and taken together could cause the GFI to believe there is a fault.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:13 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Actually GFCIs are only comparing the amount of current flowing thru the hot pin to the amount of current flowing thru the neutral pin. Doesn’t matter what function that current is performing. Under normal conditions those two currents should be exactly the same. What flows in must flow out. Any difference would indicate some current somehow “escaping” what should be a closed circuit and would be considered a fault. If the two currents vary as little as 5 milliamps then a GFCI will trip.

10 milliamps can produce a significant shock. 100 milliamps or more likely fatal.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:07 AM   #6
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
My unit also had five outlets on a GFCI. One of those outlets was the refrigerator. The GFCI tripped more often than I liked and it took out the refrigerator. I had a couple of unused slots in my circuit breaker box so I used one to install another breaker and put my refrigerator on a dedicated circuit. I was lucky my breaker box and refrigerator are close together and running the wire was not too difficult.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #7
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
did you ever get it figured out?
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:39 PM   #8
BobnLee
Established Member

M.O.C. #27342
Thanks for suggestions advice.. Found the problem. It was the 50amp plug at hookup. Check voltmeter on a couple plugs they were only drawing 94 volts took it all apart and tightened the wires up. Will be checking that everything I hook up thanks again. Electricia
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnLee View Post
Hi everyone. I'm having quite a time with gfci. I found there are 5 plugs on this including the fridge. Power went out again after making coffee and I tested the gfi which was still in. Now it won't reset. Just changed the gfi two days ago. Anyone here have these issues thanks for any help
I have that much as well. If I turn on any one of the toaster, kettle, coffee maker it's ok but not two. Nothing to do with GFCI, just too much load. Get one of these testers to see if there is a wiring fault.
https://www.amazon.ca/Klein-Tools-RT...7&sr=8-26&th=1
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #10
Barefoot Bill
Established Member

M.O.C. #22623
I had a similar problem on my 2007 Montana -- kitchen GFCI kept tripping even with nothing on any of the outlets of the circuit. New GFCI didn't help. So I put in a regular outlet. Then the circuit breaker tripped. Definitely a short circuit somewhere. So, I checked the junction boxes under the slide-outs, taking the covers off. When I took one of the covers off, water poured out. Don't know how water got in there, but that was the source of the problem. That and the fact that the hot wire junction was at the bottom of the box. I moved that junction up to the top of the box, put the cover back on and had no further problems with the GFCI.
Barefoot Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #11
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Check the circuit breaker in the panel. It may have tripped. Check to make sure you put every wire on the new gfci correctly. Power coming in on LINE and power out to the other plugs on LOAD. Be certain dark to dark, white to white and ground to ground. If that is all correct unplug everything and test. I believe you have two issues, 1. The ground fault tripping and 2. the circuit breaker tripping. If you have more than one heating device on that circuit the breaker is likely to trip. I also suggest you rewire the refrigerator to a circuit not on gfci. I suppose the refrigerator auto goes to gas if the gfci trips but it us still a bother. Good luck!
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote