Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
Leveling side to side

Has anyone used jacks (scissor or bottle) to level side to side rather than placing boards under the wheels?

CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We use some boards but usually use the Orange, leggo type ,Blocks to build up one side. I've seen people using jacks and it seems to take more time and be more difficult. I think the bottle jack, like I use to change tires, would work better than a scissor jack, but then I would want to block under the frame or wheels anyway.
I've also seen people dig out the high side to level too.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We use 2x8s or 2x10s for heavy adjustments and 1x10s for fine tuning. We also use the Lego blocks but they can be time consuming for overnight stays. Few scissors jacks have the weight capacity to handle the weight of a rig and bottle jacks as well as the scissors jacks are not very stable. For safety we prefer to use the lumber... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
CBTraveler, I don't use jacks, I'm like Exnavydiver and use boards. 1 2x10 is equal to half a bubble on one wheel and 1 2x10 under both wheels on low side is equal to 1 bubble on my unit. Thing of using jacks, you would have to stack a lot of boards to sit the bottle jack or scissor jack on so it rest on the frame. I wouldn't recommend using jacks under the axles for leveling purposes.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I use the scissor jacks in front of the tires to take the spring bounce out. When I had to replace a tire the tire shop did not have a jack tall enough to raise Monty. I lowered the scissor jack for extended reach. When they jacked with a 3ton jack it busted the scissor jack at the screw post and cross section. I called Ball about it and their first words were is is not for jacking a trailer. I told them I did not put 7500 lbs on it and they finally replaced it since too many parts needed to be swapped out.
So, NO DO NOT USE SCISSOR JACK TO RAISE MONTY.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I always try to park first of all level from side to side. If I need to level it I use the plastic stackable blocks and raise whichever side is needed. After a while it’s just becomes second nature.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Lumber under the wheels for sure. DW does this while I sit and jockey the truck back and forth. we use 2X10's, never had a need for anything smaller.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Scissor Jacks are not weight bearing, are they? And Bottle Jacks are not recommended for long term, in fact all jack usage documentation would request you use a strong jackstand in addition to a bottle jack for this purpose. I have seen bottle jacks fail when left just overnight. One was a car, one was my 3/4 ton pickup. Luckily I did have backup jackstands in place to catch what dropped. I can't imagine leaving this to chance with my 7 ton trailer.

Unless you use a huge and strong system like Big Foot levelers or something designed for heavy weight strength and long term usage, I think it's best to use the lumber or legos since they raise the trailer with some stability from under the tires that carry the weight of the trailer most of the time anyway. Just don't forget to chock your tires to prevent the trailer from rolling off. I am getting very used to the Lynx levelers I use, but I am considering changing to lumber because it would fit the tire much better.

Of course, this is only my opinion and you can certainly try whatever you are willing to pay for if it doesn't work.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Use wood, we have 1 1/2" to 3" ramp, out of 2 by 10 for drive up on really bad camp sites, but we usually can jocky back and forth a bit and not have to use any thing. I have gone back to a campground office and asked to be moved to a site that was level, they always look so suprised "that sites not level" well no, it wasn't before I got here and won't be after I leave but I won't use it.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I hate to throw a wrench into this, but it was mentioned about suing those "building block" pieces to level. If you visit any good tire site they will warn about parking on the hexagonal block designs, as they do not support the entire footprint of the tire. So, I use them only to get up on the wood 2 x 10's when necessary. I don't ever park on them for any period of time.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:35 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
2 2X8's for me. If I need to raise one side more than 3 inches, I'll move to a different site. Jacks are used for stability AFTER leveling.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote