Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
FGK

M.O.C. #8827
Radio/Stereo reception

I have been away from the forum for awhile but good to be back.

We usually get good reception on our off-the-shelf Sony system but reception is poor or completely over powered by electronic hum if the desired station is distant.

Does anyone have an idea for mounting a better antenna than the short piece of wire that came with the radio? I am guessing the aluminum frame doesn't help reception.

A friend with some radio background suggested connecting a much longer copper wire. Should I try to connect the wire outside the trailer body?

Ideas appreciated.

Thanks

FGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You are asking a great question.
You did not state the year or model trailer you have.
Adding the will may help.
You mention wire and static/electronic hum. That leads me to assume (I know) you are talking about AM reception not the FM.
If AM yes a longer wire will help also put a longer wire on the ground lug (there is no wire there now).
Most people do not realize the antenna on the care is only have the other half is the body of the car. So you lengthen the antenna and then put a better ground plain by adding wire to the ground lug on the receiver.
try to run these wires in opposite directions that helps also. The aluminum frame should not make that much difference.
I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
FGK

M.O.C. #8827
Thanks for the reply. We have an '01 2955. I was referring primarily to AM. Sometimes I don't have any reception in the trailer but I do have in the truck at the same location. Sometimes I have to move the truck a short distance, (5 or 10 feet)to avoid the hum.

I will try your suggestion.

Do you think the aluminum frame could act as an antenna if I connect the antenna wire with a sheet metal screw? Just an idea.....

FGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Reference attaching to the aluminum frame. It may or may not work. It could also kill your signal if it is properly grounded to the AC 120 ground.

Try it and see. Good luck and let us know how you do.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote