Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
dreamers2010
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9962
Send a message via AIM to dreamers2010
Tire Wear - Alignment ?

We have less than 2000 miles on our 2009 3605RL Montana with Marathon tires (made in China), Dexter Axles and LRE Mor Ryde Susension. We have just noticed that we are having significant outer edge tire wear on curb side front axle and minor similar on rear axle curb side. The opposite of curb side shows no wear at all.

We are wondering if this is alignment wear. We maintain our tires at 80PSI maximum load tire pressure as recommended by tire manufacturer.

By the way, who does wheel alignment? We are headed towards Mississippi and Alabama. We will be in Alabama for a couple of weeks. Need to get this fixed before we head back out on the road if we can make it another 400 miles on this bad tire.

Feed back please!

Thanks, Bob (& Judy)

dreamers2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Take a good look at the tires, is the wear all the way around the tire. If so then it probably is alignment, if just part of the way it is a tire issue, it's coming apart
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bob mine are wearing on the inside of both tires on the rear axel. my sil said while following me the tires are leaning in at the top. I don't recommend this but I have 1500 miles to home so I have put my bottle jack with the cap on it under the center of the axel 3 different times and tweeked it. I have found out that it is harder to bend than folks think! I do have it better than it was. with the rv set up I have lifted both wheels on that axel and when I let it back down and move it the axel will go back to almost the same place thats the reason for the 3 times. mine has lost its camber so it just needs to be bent up again. alignment is a differrent thing I will get that or replace the axels when I get home just trying to save the tires for now. like I said I don't recommend this to anyone Just something I have found out on this trip.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
mijo
Established Member

M.O.C. #10990
Bob
I had a similar tire wear problem on my 2010 3000RK on our first trip from B.C. to Arizona last winter. Our dealer told us Alignment is not covered on warranty and neither are tires. They had the trailer in their shop for two weeks and told us they had checked and the Axles were correct. They gave me copies of documents from Lippert that they used to do the checking. Unfortunately our axles are made by Dexter so I would have preferred they use their specs. In the end I took 5th to the local Kal Tire store. The alignment guys, 16 years working on trailers, gave me written confirmation that the rear axle alignment problem could not have been caused by impact (as Dealer tried to say). Today I asked Fraserway RV to send my claim, for $215.00 to the Dexter company instead of Lippert where they claim they sent it 6 weeks ago. I don't have much faith that I'll get it tho as my total experience with them has been unpleasant.
mijo is offline   Reply With Quote