Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Door rubs Awning

New to this automatic awning thing...
When I put the awning all the way out the trailer door rubs at the top. I tried adjusting the side arm but it is out as far as it will go. Could it be that the extend arms are not long enough?
Appreciate any suggestions.
Learning alot just reading this forum.
Thanks

Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would contact your dealer or Keystone. Good luck and let us know what they say.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
We have it on the punch list of things to get attention on the first service appointment. just took delivery 12/01/10....
Just figured the guys on this group knows more than the service tech who has never spent a night in a Montana....
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Unless they really fouled up the awning rail installation by installing it too low out of the factory or at the dealer as an aftermarket option, I expect most Montys should have plenty of distance between the door and the underside of an extended awning. My first suggestion to check is the side arms are extended much farther out to increase this height. Maybe this is what the dealer will do. It's possible they installed an awning that does not extend out far enough.

If this still doesn't work, then there's something like this: http://www.shoprvparts.com/product.do?no=10075F

I see you have a late model unit and hope they didn't change this. My '06 has lots of clearance. Also, since my solo entry door is more to the left of the extended awning I don't have to extend the right side arm as far which provides some slope in the event of rain and for the water to run off. I suppose for an automatic awning, it just retracts somewhat. I guess for comparison I should measure the extended length of the awning fabric.

Is this the problem you are having?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I would contact your dealer or Keystone. Good luck and let us know what they say.
Agree...sounds like an installation problem.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
PAJoe,
Many of the flush floor designs, if not all, have this issue. This is because the door is slightly higher than on models with the drop step. The simple fix is to extend the awning fully and then retract it slightly until the flap on the roller hangs straight down. The door should no longer rub.
Jack
Old 01-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
mountaineer2010
Established Member

M.O.C. #10138
We had the same with our 2010 mountaineer, the door hit the awning from day one, The first fix was to put a wheel on the door an the dealer said there you go all fixed, I lived with it for about 4 weeks and then said this will not cut it any more. I took the unit to the dealer for some warranty work and I told them that there had to be a better fix for the awning. They called the factory and they sent new side arms. It worked like a champ the awning is now a lot taller now with it all the way out but wont hit the door. What the service guy said was that they use a lot of different side arms for different Rv models they just did not pay attention on the one that they installed on our unit. All better hope this help.
mountaineer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mountaineer2010.... that makes the most sense so far. I hope that's how they fix it for PAJoe.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

PAJoe,
Many of the flush floor designs, if not all, have this issue. This is because the door is slightly higher than on models with the drop step. The simple fix is to extend the awning fully and then retract it slightly until the flap on the roller hangs straight down. The door should no longer rub.
Jack

^
^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^
***What Jack said***

This was the official answer I got at the Factory Service Center during the '09 Fall Rally.

It works just fine this way.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Ditto, what Jack said.....
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #11
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I have a slightly different twist to the problem. My unit came from the factory with a roller installed on top of the door. There was never a problem when opening or closing the screen door until now. I've tried the different positions trick suggested here but the screen door still rubs on the awning.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote