Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Campground Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

The wife and I just retired, bought a new Montana, Hickory Edition, now we're official "newbies", and don't know exactly what to do. We have a grand total of 4 days at a campground for a "test" run. We would like to spend January, and maybe February in Florida but a google search returns a daunting number of hits.
Are we too late to get any good (whatever that means) sites? I am retired USCGR and have a military ID and the wife is retired teacher, so we have some sites available through the military but don't really have any definites. Suggestions?

Also I saw some sites have metered electric. Is that a standard thing now? Also I don't see any evidence of anyone convoying down. (I live just south of Richmond, Va) does this ever happen or is this just a travel buddy thing?
Best Regards,
Jerry and Sandh

Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Jerry,
We live near Gettysburg, PA and will be heading south to central Florida for Jan - March. I average 250 plus or minus 50 miles a day.
First you need to decide what location you would like to visit. We are in EUSTIS because my out-laws (wife's sister) lives there. Southern Palms RV Resort, our site is flat rate with 50 amp Electric service, cable TV, water and sewer. The more months the cheaper the total per month cost. Other parks do reduce their site fees and Meter the electricity.
The military bases are real busy this time of year so you would have to contact each one and see their policy. Patrick AFB is nice but first come first serve with max two week reservation.
If you would like to head south with us around the 26 or 27th of Dec let me know.
Welcome to the Forum.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
John
250 miles a day on travel days is what we did on our trip yhis summer.
Thats the way to enjoy the trip. I never new that 20 years ago, but now I have the time.
Ron
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
John,
Tell Jerry about the rallys next year. He lives close enough to attend them all. Jerry, welcome to the forum.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Most long term parks are like little cities and have metered electric or charge extra per day for the electric. The newer rv's have more electronics and everyone carries a lot of extra electronic gadgets that suck up the power and a lot of folks started using electric heaters instead of the rv furnace. When it is hot everyone turns on turn on the air and let it run even if they are gone for the day. The use and cost of electric goes up and the cost is passed on to the customer.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
To add to "old turbo"'s post, campgrounds charge extra for 50 amp service over 30 amp. If you don't need the extra power, why pay for it? A 50 amp site in the summer is required for dual a/c units, but in the cooler weather 30 amp should be fine.

BTW: Welcome to the site!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are in Central Florida near Disney World. The Campgrounds around here do have room due to the slow economy. Of course the prime snowbird season is Jan, Feb, March and things may pick up by then(they did not last year).. We are at

http://www.centralfloridarvparks.com/mousemountain/

Rates are 445.00 to 545.00 per month plus electric. If you need help let us know.. We had no problem finding a site for some friends next month..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Thanks to all who replied to my post!
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You know Tom some C.G's do charge more for 50 amp than 30 amp sites wich makes no sense as you pay by the KWH and only pay for what you use???

My guess is that it is so the 30 amp folks won't take the 50 amp sites. Here it is all the same. Pay for what you use. Electric rates in Florida are....out of sight...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:53 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Jerry - we stay at Olde Mill Stream see their website http://www.oldemillstreamrvresort.com/ I don't know how far south you want to be but this resort is about 50 miles directly (west) inland from Daytona at the south end of the Ocala national Forest in Umatilla. It's a nice place - there are many nice campgrounds around Florida as the previous replies have pointed out.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote