Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
New Mexico Bound

Leaving Wednesday morn for Hemet Ca. for grandsons birthday and Mothers Day. Then off to New Mexico, don't like to travel much beyond 5 or 6 hours a day. First night Brenda, AZ.(Quartzite) second stop maybe around Benson AZ and then who knows from there. Thought about Roswell, White Sands and ??, then head north, Santa Fe and whatever.
Any special places that might be a must see or routes to avoid.
Thought we might spend a couple of weeks and then head back to AZ.

Thanks in advance

Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We just left New Mexico yesterday after several weeks. If you check our blog you will find several things to see and do in the Albuquerque to Santa Fe, Taos and areas around there. I would also say that when in Benson a trip to Tombstone is a must. Big Nose Kate's is a real fun place. Carlsbad Caverns if you haven't already been there and for sure White Sands. Roswell didn't offer us much except to say we've been there.

Travel safe,
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We enjoyed Silver City, NM, last year in April. The Gila Cliff Dwellings are reached from Silver City. Check out our travel blog for photos and other stuff on New Mexico and Southeastern Arizona.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Helen, Tim and Susan, thanks for the info. Read both of your journals and really enjoyed both of them plus the pictures. It appears that there is much more to see in New Mexico than I had originally thought. Also looks like there might be some pretty good food along the way.

Again
Thank You

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
A trip up one of the longest trams in the world, the Sandia Peak Tram in Albuquerque to Sandia Peak, the view is spectacular (about 11,000 ft high). You go from about 6,000 ft to 11,000 ft in about 20-25 minutes. Remember, Pilots wear oxygen at 10,000 ft.

There are also art shops and scenery in Santa Fe. There is the Loreto Chapel in Santa Fe where an unknown carpenter built an "unsupported spiral staircase" to the church's upper floor and if I recall out of one piece of wood.

We only stopped briefly and visited the beautiful Taos area, but keep wanting to go back.

DW and I also enjoy driving through the Native American reservations for some fresh baked oven bread.

Warning - as a Mexican-American I like my food spicy hot, but chili for chili, the New Mexico varieties of the same chilis grown in California seem hotter. The locals claim it's the nuclear soil but I'll let you be the judge. That doesn't stop me though. I think that's where they started the phrase, "Fire in the Hole".

Enjoy your time in the land of the Zia sign.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote