Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Slide operation during cold weather!

Just wondered what everyone’s opinion was on operating the slides in cold weather! I know there may be times when it’s un-avoidable but do you think it places an extra strain on anything? Just wanted to hear your opinions on this!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I think there is some extra strain put on the motor/pump. The lubricity of the system is "thicker" (for a better word) and I think the pump works a little harder. I don't think it's going to hurt anything, but may trip the breaker more frequently if to much current is being drawn. If you have the parallel breaker in place, you probably will not notice much difference.

Just my opinion, but I'm not a hydraulic person.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

Just wondered what everyone’s opinion was on operating the slides in cold weather! I know there may be times when it’s un-avoidable but do you think it places an extra strain on anything? Just wanted to hear your opinions on this!
Over the past 8+ years of full timing, we've had several (many, many) times when we had to move the slides in the morning when the weather was 25-30 degrees and we never experienced any problem. We've only had one time when we had to extend them when the temperature was 17 degrees and they went out with no problem.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
My extra strain was to get up on a ladder and remove the ice before retracting our slides.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Slide toppers, the ice and snow have always come right off, sliding away.

Cold weather slide operation, have done so at 20 and below, have put them in for travel at 4 below one AM, that evening it topped out at 17 degrees and we had run 400 miles to the south and west, slides went out fine.

We have recently installed the second breaker. Before we did manage to stall out the breaker, but rest it for 20 seconds, and start movement again, no trouble.

Use common sense, don't try to put the slides in if you have ice on them (with no toppers). With toppers, use caution if you think there is ice up there, you all have heard my story of when I put the slides in and 1 and 1/2 inch slabs of ice rolled off the toppers and Al, on the other side of the rig, thought I had blown out a window. That heavy stuff could hurt a guy if it hit ya in the head.

And,if the slides stop rolling, lay off the button, wait a few seconds, and then try again, they move slow, but they do move.

I would rather be moving them in and out at 75 degrees, but, family and all that keep us here till after the holidays, and ohhh, it can be cold here bout the end of December. heckey dooooooooo, it was 12 here this AM! And, it ain't even Turkey day yet. BRRRR SIGHHHH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
We have slide toppers and they "made ice" after lots of rain at Hilton Head last year. Ice froze to the topper, and when DW brought slides in, the big slide stopped on the top (jammed) but the bottom kept trying and lifting off the floor. As grandpachet said, up I went to the roof w/a broom handle to remove the big slab of ice!!! LOL.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote