Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Dometic Refrigerator Fix

I have read here that some of you believe that the Dometic Refrigerator Recall Fix has hastened your refrigerator failure. I have an appointment to have the fix completed tomorrow. Now I don't know if I really want it fixed.

What exactly is the problem?

If I don't run the fridge on gas do I need it fixed?

Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The "fix" is not really a fix, it is a work around that will keep your rig from catching fire if (when?) your cooling unit fails and releases the flammable gas mixture that it contains. The risk is probably much greater if you are running on propane, but fire may also be possible when using electricity as the heat source. (not sure about that, but it seems as though the electric heater must get equally as hot as the gas one for it to function properly).

Ours failed, it did not catch fire, but when the cooling unit was replaced, I asked them to install the "fix". This fix seems to consist of a metal heat shield and a high temperature shut down switch. Although the liklihood of a fire is low, the consequences of a fire are very high, therefore, I would get the fix.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Definitely get the fix...on mine the fix was to correct a potential fire hazard when using propane. The person doing the repair showed me that some units have the wood framing too close and could catch on fire (mine did not have that issue, but fixed it anyway).
If nothing else, if there was a recall and you chose to ignore it and do have an issue later on like a fire (heaven forbid)...good luck trying to get it covered.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

I had the fire hazard fix done yesterday at my home/no charge all warranty.I called Dometic 3 times last week to establish what I call communication... and to get a reference number.I am now in the test stage to see if the frig maintains adequate cooling,12 hours on gas then 12 hours on electric.So far its maintaining 37 degrees referenced by a thermomemter I have in a mug of water and also a bottle of water I'm sampling.Teeth over 55 years old can also be a good source of coldness detection!!!

This test will determine if there may be a bubble in the cooling chemicals causing a restriction and lack of cooling.If the frig is still not cooling properly after several cycles of the test the tech will come back out and walk Dometic through the troubleshooting procedure and recommend a cooling unit repl under warranty.I'm very interested in the fan installation I saw on another Montana frig thread.

Philip,
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT

2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
We had the "fix" done a couple of months ago. Has anyone else that's had it done noticed that the outside grill cover get's really warm now? I never remember it getting that warm before, especially when you first turn it on and it has to run hard to cool down. After it's cool and it just has to maintain it seems OK, but that first 6 or 8 hours it gets downright hot. Maybe I just never paid attention before but now that I have the "fix" I'm paying more attention.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:02 AM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We got our fix about 1 month ago. Our refrig. in our house took a turn for the worst and had to wait 1 week for the part. We put all our stuff in the refrig in the Montana until the part came. This is the first time we used it since the fix. Now the freezer gets an ice build up in 1 week. Not a good sign!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have heard of a couple of instances where about a month or so after the "fix", they had a total failure and Dometic would not warranty it. My model and S/N are on the list, but we have NOT received a notice as of this posting. I now hesitate to get the fix. Anyone else heard of these failures after the the fix?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If the recall is to install the "shield" then by all means you should get it. If you don't you increase the chance of a fire should the boiler unit fail and get ignited. I was one of those who had the shield installed and about a month of two later had the ammonia leak out. I had yellow powder like residue all over the place.

I do not know if the "shield" helped prevent a fire or not. But I'm glad I had the fix in place. I also do not know if the installation of the shield and the leak are associated. I doubt they are. I suspect it is simple coincidence. The fact that the company seems to "expect" the boiler failure makes me doubt the installation of the shield is related. It is as it states simply a device to help keep an ignition source from a potential fuel source.

Get it done.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

If the recall is to install the "shield" then by all means you should get it. If you don't you increase the chance of a fire should the boiler unit fail and get ignited. I was one of those who had the shield installed and about a month of two later had the ammonia leak out. I had yellow powder like residue all over the place.

I do not know if the "shield" helped prevent a fire or not. But I'm glad I had the fix in place. I also do not know if the installation of the shield and the leak are associated. I doubt they are. I suspect it is simple coincidence. The fact that the company seems to "expect" the boiler failure makes me doubt the installation of the shield is related. It is as it states simply a device to help keep an ignition source from a potential fuel source.

Get it done.

Dennis
Well, I'll probably get it done then, Dennis. However, I currently can't even drive a car, let alone pull a 40 ft 5th wheel through several miles of one of the busiest cities here in N. MI. 96 miles round trip. It will be a few weeks. The Montana is sitting idle with the fridge and gas shut off now anyway...

*On Edit~ Also FYI, a service tech also mentioned to me that these shields are only to HELP prevent a fire, but no guarantee it will stop a fire from happening. It is not a "cure-all".
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
mvg
Established Member

M.O.C. #3870
Had mine done last week. The recall is more than a shield. There are 2 sensors and an automatic thermostat switch involved. My mountaineer is a 2006, and it ready had one sensor installed. The recall installed 2 shields and 1 additional sensor. Glad I had it done.
mvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

We had ours done 2 weeks ago and like (mvg said), ours was done the same way. The one sensor has a reset button on it, it's the one on the exhaust, this is what I was told by the service tech. He showed it to me, it looked like this.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Anyone have pictures of a before and after?
I have the bi-metal reset switch on mine now, my serial number is among the recall series, Even an after photo would help.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 AM   #13
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I had mine done in Sept. and then I had a big laugh as about 2 weeks later I get a recall notice from Dometic. The fire hazard may be a big part of the fix but I believe that the cooling unit is the problem which seems to make the unit inoperable from time to time. Mine refused to work a couple times since I`ve had it. The exhaust got so hot I shut it down, and checked my friends fridge exhaust and it was just warm. After a day I turn it back on and it works fine.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:48 AM   #14
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Anyone have pictures of a before and after?
I have the bi-metal reset switch on mine now, my serial number is among the recall series, Even an after photo would help.
Ozz
I have an appointment tomorrow morning (Oct 1st) to do the "Fix", I have taken some "Before" pics of my unit (#RM2862), if no one posts any pics of the "Fix", I will take the "After" pics, and post them tomorrow after its finished.

Before Pics

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:30 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #16
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Here is the pictures of after. I had mine done back in early July, and used the unit for 7 weeks on the road without any problems.

Cover on

Cover off

Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bob,
Thanks a bunch. You know, mine looks like that, except I have no cover. Is the cover the part, or one of the parts they install? Was that bi-metal cut off switch on there before?
It looks to me that they made a cover for it.
Someone stated that they install another switch, but maybe not. Heck, how many high limit switches do they need...... one would be my guess.
Thanks again.
Ozz
Old 09-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is the before and after on an Airstream. Looks like they added sheet metal to the right side, front, and installed the bi-metal manual reset high-limit switch. I already have the hi-limit reset switch on mine.
Click on the link at tiny...
(4th post down the page)
http://tiny.cc/wgIdg
Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #19
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Ozz, I don't know what the before was like, except I do not think it had the cover plate nor the side plate before. I do ont know about the cut off switch. I may be mistaken, but maybe the selonide on the gas line and the red wire going into the burner housing may be new. Hopefully jpbcny will post the before pictures. The cover plate shows a wiring diagram, so there must be some new electronics added.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #20
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We just received our letter and we had the metal fix done last spring. They state that the rework consists of secondary burner housing, a thermal fuse and a melt fuse. I don't think we got the fuses in the spring, so we will be doing some checking etc.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote