Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
CALGON

For those of you that can't find Calgon---I have found it in three different K-Mart stores in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico----other wise it has been to find--

gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
You will find it at Walmart's....in the Personal Grooming Care areas...

Just ask an employee....thats how I found it.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
You don't want Calgon bath beads, you want Calgon water softener. You won't find it in every Wally World or K-Mart either. If the water in the area you are looking for calgon is not very hard you most likely won't find it. The water around Savannah and Statesboro, Ga. isn't that hard and Calgon water softener if very hard to find around there. Back here in northern Wisconsin the water has rocks in it so there is Calgon in almost every store and minimart. It is a way of life around here if you want soft water you either use calgon or a regular water softener... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Found Calgon in a small Store in Colorado. Las Animas has a single grocer that carries Calgoin by the box and it cleans black tanks like no tomorrow!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Steve and Brenda Posted - Jul 20 2008 : 10:33:47 PM
Found Calgon in a small Store in Colorado. Las Animas has a single grocer that carries Calgon by the box and it cleans black tanks like no tomorrow!!
I have found liquid Calgon here in the Spokane area. How much powder do you use for a dosage? Do you mix it with anything else.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 AM   #6
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Don,

I think the creator of the Geo System recommends pouring 2 cups of powder into 1gal of warm water and letting the powder dissolve before pouring it into the tank. He also recommends adding 1 cup of soap to the solution. Here is a link to his site http://cbruni.googlepages.com/home
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Here is the home page for Calgon:

http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/calgon/

You can order from them, if you cannot find where you travel. I carry 2 small containers with me, but, I am not a full timer, so, that may make a difference on what you carry.

You want the LAUNDRY stuff, NOT the Bath stuff.

I prefer the liquid, rather than having to mix the dry. I use a capful in the gray tank, ditto in the galley tank, and maybe 2 in the black tank. I add NOTHING more to the galley or gray. I will add some laundry liquid detergent to the black, and sometimes a half a cup or so of bleach to the black. If you are going to add for a run and the sloshing cleaning, then add about 3 to 5 gallons of fresh water in each tank. We don't like any more than that in those tanks while running.

Happy trails!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I found it (liquid) in the local Kroger grocery here in TX.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:19 AM   #9
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I just bought 2 bottles of Calgon water softener at Wal-Mart in Butte, Montana. It was in the detergent/bleach/fabric softener area. That store generally has it in stock.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We have found that Calgon works real well, but we get the same results with cheap (SUN) dishwasher soap, the granules are dissolved in a toilet bowl full of water. Before traveling after dumping the black tank, we always use the geo method and our tanks wash out real well.

When boondocking, we have gone as long as 21 days before dumping the black tank using this method without any problems.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you check the MSDS for Calgon you will find that it contains:

Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
Sodium carbonate 000497-19-8 40-45
Trisodium citrate dihydrate 006132-04-3 20-25
Sodium sulfate 007757-82-6 25-30

From my somewhat rusty knowledge of chemistry, I would say that the Sodium Carbonate is the active ingredient for the purpose at hand. Sodium carbonate is a very cheap industrial chemical. It is sometimes sold as a pH raising compound for swimming pools, or you may be able to buy it at an industrial cleaning supply place. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, and it will probably work just as well.

I have not tried any of these, just trying to offer some alternatives that might work just as well and be cheaper.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
ROBBIE
You are headed in the correct direction.
What I have been using for years is CHEAP LAUNDRY SOAP.
I put in a cap full per tank flush.
As I have said, all that Calgon does as a water softener, is it acts as a surfactant, it break down the surface tension of water, just like a soap.
The reason that I go with a Laundry Liquid Soap, it that it is not a high suds producer as compared with kitchen soap.
Also, before disposable diapers what did we wash a S____ diaper in, yes laundry soap.
So, buy your favorite single ply toilet paper and cheap Laundry Soap, your butt will be happy and so will your pocket book.
Good Luck!!
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Are you using the soap in the galley and gray tanks as well???

I want something to break down the already existing soap scum, not add more to it. My galley and gray tanks already have a bit of soap in them, eh???

Now, if we are only talking black tank, ok, no problem, soap works.

Just wondering, someone keep me straight here, eh??
Old 07-22-2008, 04:37 AM   #14
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Now as far as the gray tanks.
Before we take a trip I have used the laundry soap in there,and give it a heavy dose, two or three cap fulls, then run water to fill the tanks to 1/3 full then as we are traveling down the road, it is sloshing around washing the tanks, then when I get to the camp ground after hooking up, I drain the tanks.
I also do the same to the black tanks.
Does it work, I think so, as far as I see, my lights work better.
It is like a big washing machine!!!
I believe that the soap scum is coming from what soap does when washing dishing or taking showers, it attaches it self to the greases and other things and then attaches itself to the walls of the tank. It is like putting soap in the sink and letting the dishes sit overnight.
Try it, as far I know you don't have a large expense and nothing to loose.
Good luck!!
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:44 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
KKKK

Interesting, Laundry soap is better at getting grease out.

Thanks for your take on that Carlson.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Makes good sense to me....and cheaper...I like cheap. I learned about the dishwasher soap when I used to soak the labels off of beer bottles for beer brewing. It really worked well, the next morning the labels would all just fall off....reduced the surface tension.

I'll try cheap laundry soap.

Thanks!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote