Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
lou44

M.O.C. #8024
Kitchen Counter Top

We have a 2007 3000RK that has a large composit counter top that is easily scratched. It is has thus far been imposible to remove the scratches. Any help would be appreciated.

lou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Hi Lou44, welcome to the forum. I've searched, but cannot find a previous post about the scraches. I think that there is a repair kit available from the counter top manufacturer. Look in the manual that came with the rv. maybe someone will come along and help.I too have scratches. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
If not too deep you could try the green 3m scratch pads to sand out the scratches. Then you would need to use finer grit to buff it to the same finish as the remainder of the counter top. Our service tech that did our PDI with us told us to use the 3m pads to remove scratches or to buff the counters to a higher gloss. Good luck, and keep us informed on what you do to fix it.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Let us know what you do for this. I am worried about these fiberglass countertops.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
This was discussed in another thread and here is what I posted:

From CORIAN.COM

"Removing Stains and Fixing Scratches or Burns

Nicks, scratches and cuts are inevitable with any high-use product, including Corian®. But because Corian® is solid all the way through, it is easy to renew to its original appearance as described below.

Minor damage, including scratches, general or chemical stains, scorches or burns, and minor impact marks, can be repaired on-site with a light abrasive cleanser and a product such as a Scotch-Brite* pad. For heavier damage, light sanding may be necessary. The following steps should be followed:

* Identify the extent of the damage and ascertain whether a minor repair will solve the problem. You may want to consult with your supplier of Corian®.
* If the damage is minor, try to repair it with an abrasive cleanser or a product such as a Scotch-Brite* pad.
* If the above step is unsuccessful, hand-sand with 400-grit wet and dry paper. To minimize dust, wet the surface before starting.
* If this is unsuccessful, use an electric sander and heavier-grit paper. Always make provisions to control dust.
* If this, too, is unsuccessful, you may need to consult a professional for other repair options. In this case, contact your supplier of Corian® for assistance.

*Scotch-Brite is a trademark of the 3M Company."

Don't you just love GOOGLE?

=========
Here is a LINK to the thread.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Thanks, Wayne! Great post. I printed the repair suggestions for the 'Tana file!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have searched and think this is the company that makes the counter tops. The green pad works prety good but the counter is far from being a Corian® product. The dealer has ordered a new top for our 3400 the sides are cracked.

http://www.double-t-usa.com/st/
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Craig installs counter tops and does all kinds, from granite, to Corian, to quartz and regular old formica. The tops in these campers are fiberglass, not Corian or any type of solid surface countertop. They are made to look like such, but are a far cry from them! Do not try to fix these countertops like you would Corian. You will have a bigger mess than what you started with. Do not cut on them, do not put hot items on them and do not use any type of abrasive cleaners...no comet, no Soft Scrub...yes, it is still abrasive even though is says "soft". Don't really know how much luck you'll have with trying to "buff" out scratches as the material is fiberglass. Windex with a soft cloth, no paper towels as they are really made from wood, so they have the tendancy to scratch although you might not notice it right away. Trust me, they will dull your countertops...Good luck.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Just today we went to our RV dealer and saw two brand new Montana's. They were both 10th Anniversary models I believe, I know know one was. Both had the brand new counter tops in them and they were true Corian, even had an embedded seal in the counter top to authenticate that they are Corian brand. They were very nice but I also still like the old ones in our 2003 Big Sky.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The Corian procedures are pretty much what Keystone told us. A good autobody or boat repair place may be able to help also.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Here is some more info its by Avinite but it's the same maintenance as corian.

well I did have them but they are gone now they removed them.

If you want a copy of the repair of scratches and what to use I can go and get a new link set up for the instructions.

TT2
Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
We had some scratches in our countertop in our 2008 3400RL. I pointed them out to the dealer when I had it in there for a few other items to be repaired. The Service Mgr. called a tech over and he pulled a spray bottle out of his back pocket and a green 3M pad and sprayed the counter top and then buffed it with the 3M pad. The scratches were gone and the counter looked brand new... Should have found out what was in the spray bottle. Maybe Dr. Hooks magic potion.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Anyway to contact the dealer and find out what it was? Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Following from Jif FAQ:
"Particular care should be taken when using any sort of cleaner on acrylic, which is a soft plastic. JIF Cream cleaner can be used on acrylic surfaces but ensure you use a soft cloth and do not rub in one spot for too long as the plastic can easily be scratched. Rinse out the cloth and then wipe down to remove any residue."

A Light abrasive cleaner is what is recommended by Corian. Also, use a soft (maybe microfiber) cloth. Don't spend to much time in one spot.

Edited: I am going to assume the technician had a standard cleaner, and the Scotch pad was the abrasive part of it. Remember that there are different types of abrasive pads out there. Auto stores carry different abrasive pads as does WallyWorld Super Stores
Old 01-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I am really confused on this one. I have an '06 3400. Is my counter fiberglass or Corian?? Seems we are talking two different surfaces here. I have some minor scratches (I think) but don't want to use the wrong thing to fix them. Advice needed!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #16
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

I am really confused on this one. I have an '06 3400. Is my counter fiberglass or Corian?? Seems we are talking two different surfaces here. I have some minor scratches (I think) but don't want to use the wrong thing to fix them. Advice needed!!!!!!
Phil, look under the counter top if it looks like fiberglass then it is, if it is smooth and the same color as the top then it may be Corian.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:11 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks, looks like fiberglass to me!!!!! Does this mean it's not fixable?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Do a GOOGLE search on fiberglass countertop repair. It appears that it is fixable.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I sent an e-mail to my service rep at Tacoma RV and this is what his reply was

BILL; HOPE YOUR 3400 IS DOING WELL. THE TECHNICIAN USED WATER AND VERY FINE SAND PAPER (ABOUT 1200) THE BIGGER THE SCRATCHES, THE COURSER THE SAND PAPER TO START WITH, ENDING UP WITH ABOUT 1200. HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU.

Hope this helps everyone with scratches on their counter tops
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #20
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Just a heads up to everyone. We were camping with friends and everyone had to bring a side dish. A friend brought her hot pot of pinto beans into the Monty and put it on my sink cover. I immediately picked it up and said "Oh no it isn't Corian" It didn't look like any damage was done at the time. The next camping trip I noticied that I had a bubble forming on the sink cover. It has split, hubby shot Gorilla glue under split to try to fix it. The repair won't last forever, guess the cover will end up in the trash once it finally breaks away. These counter tops aren't made for hot items to be set on. I knew that, but friends think they are Corian and can take the heat. So be careful out there when you have a potluck in your Monty.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote