Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
APOLLO BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hungry! Can't nuke the leftovers.
It's the door latch, is that something I can fix????
Has anyone tore it apart and fixed it?
What breaks when the door won't latch?

Thanks, Hungry in Padre....

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Oz, I don't know about the new ones, but I have repaired the old microwaves in the past. I am almost sure I took the door apart and replaced the latching mechanism. Usually it is a module that can be replaced.

Maybe you can call Life Style and have them ship you a new unit.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
It is an easy fix, but you need the part. I don't have their 800 number any longer, I got it from Rich when mine broke. You will need to remove the entire outside cover to get access to the latch. What is broken is a plastic pin on the back side of the handle that releases the latch. If you take it apart you might be able to improvise and reset the pin with super glue until a new one arrives.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
As Charlie said, it is an easy fix when you have the part. I replaced the latch and the broken plastic rim in the door. Just a big hassle to take the unit out of the cabinet.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It may be broke or it may have slipped out of it's bracket.Saw one that did that just last week. You still have to take the cover off to get at it..Find the book and call Lynn in Warranty and she will send you a new super duty door latch...Nice to have one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks guys you are THE BOMB!
I'll tear into it.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jim
They sent us a new part but when we got it apart (2 stupid screws take forever) the latch mechanism had just come loose. Didn't need the new one but we kept it. Wish you were closer and you could have it. Merry Christmas.
Happy trails..............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Hey Ozz
I have one and had it apart a few times. We are down here if you need it.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Ozz
I have the part you might need in my hand.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, folks, tomorrow I will have it all over the floor, so we will see. Mickey, I may send a Sea Gull over for the part.
Thanks, Susie-Q, and a Merry Christmas to you and your lucky husband.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
It dose not take that much to do. DW and I have done it a few times and the food was still hot when we took it out. It will take you and Sue to get out. The two funky screws are the hardest. If you need more instructions let me know.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #12
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Hazmic, I think you just jogged my memory. The two screws with a pin in the center of the head??? If this is the same set of screws, I think I took my dermel tool and ground them out. Others made a regular slot in the screw head and used a regular screwdriver. Or am I thinking of something else????
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #13
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Jim-
The two "funky" screws Mickey describes are TORX head screws. I don't remember which size.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:08 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

The fix is pretty simple if it is the latch that quit working.

First part is to remove the cover, and the fan, the fan is just plugged in and is held by a couple of scrrews. They are torx screws, and two of them are the 'security' ones that have the hole in the head, you can buy the security torx bits at any hardware store...sorry, don't know the size. After I got the two security screws out, I donated those screws to the round filing cabinet.

Once you get the cover and fan off, you will see the latch sits in a metal cradle that most likely has either had the plastic that keeps it in place or the cradle itself is spread.

I fixed mine by taking a plastic bottle cap, cutting it down the middle (vertically), and hot gluing the flat 'cut' sied to the side of the latch so that the latch cannot slide far enough out of the cradle.

This may seem confusing, but if you get it apart, you will see what I am talking about. You can also call me, and I will be happy to walk you through the procedure.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:06 AM   #15
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Illapah
You are right. They are screws that have a pin in the middle so a regular torx will not work. I used a small set of wire cutters and turned them out. I also round filed them. When Sears comes after the first of the year when they remove them they will be gone. If you need help Ozz let me know. Good reason to come to see you. DW can also walk you through on how to do it. Dose that tell you we have done it before.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Mickey you are a nice guy. I am not working on the microwave today, too much going on. I may tear into it tomorrow, I think we will be headed for Brownsville to get another Tivo/Direct TV, so that is even up in the air. Maybe they will be on sale.... The Ton of tools I brought should come into play on the Microwave work. My Brother, Sister and her hubby are here in a condo, so we will be with them today, and maybe tomorrow. I am meeting with a local business owner in the morning, to discuss some work.
Take care, I have your phone #, you guys enjoy the holiday.
Ozz