Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
installing 5th airborne

I am installing a fifth-airborne oa a 3295-rk myself any sugestion on a

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I watched Camping World do mine, and I watched as they had trouble getting the airborne between the brackets. The airborne slides up between the brackets on the Monty and it is a tight tolerance. The welds at the top of the brackets on the Monty gave them fits.

You can always do what they did and use a sledge hammer.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I had my dealer put mine on, they said it is very heavy, and used a forklift to hold it in place.
Read on this forum it took two people to install. Sorry I can't help more than that.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I hooked the pin to the hitch and set the other end on blocks and then lowered the trailer down and lined up the holes (it is a very tight fit), worked great. I was not able to install it to the top holes as the 5th Airborne top plate interferred with the cross piece on the trailer. I had to drill a few holes to remount brake actuator and elec box but it all came out great. One problem I did have was that I could not adjust the air bag back far enough to get proper air pressure because of interference to the valve stem from the bottom plate. They now have an extension for that. Good Luck and you shouldn't have any problems with installing it and you will love the difference.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I did mine with the help of our Son-in-Law. Fit between the brackets on the Montana was not a problem for us. Getting the old one out took a bit of working and wiggling back and forth. We lifted the Fifth into place while one of the girls stuck a taper bar to hold it in place. we then just rotated it up to where the bolts lined up. I did use new bolts and fiber lock nuts. Also had to drill new mounting hole for breakway cable. I would not hesitate to change one again. Our problems were that PPL shipped the wrong Fifth, Fifth Airborne graciously replaced it, but UPS destroyed that one in shipment. The third one fit great
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I can't speak to the installation because we had Camping World install ours but I can speak for the results - You will immediately notice a tremendous difference in the ride and love it. Good luck and safe travels.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rogue

I had my dealer put mine on, they said it is very heavy, and used a forklift to hold it in place.
Read on this forum it took two people to install. Sorry I can't help more than that.
Same here, dealer had to use a forklift.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
Mike Boutet

M.O.C. #4431
I brought home the tranny jack from work. It made it a piece of cake. The hardest part of the hole job was lifting the 5th airborne hitch up onto the jack.
Mike Boutet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
The instructions state this is a 2 person job. I had help and used our pin tripod to help adjust it into place. Took only 15 minutes to install after I got the right one. Dealer ordered the wrong one.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote