Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2007, 02:36 AM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

I belong to AARP but will not be renewing. It may be hard to believe but, we get more junk mail from them than even Good Sam sends.
Grant, we used to get junk mail all the time from AARP but when I asked them to stop sending their magazine because of mail forwarding costs, they did stop and apparently took my name off the mailing list because I've not received anything from them since.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:41 AM   #22
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
It is essentially a wholly owned subsidiary of the insurance company, members have no say in it's operation. It was originally set up by a couple of insurance agents to capture a market and generate revenue. They use the guise of representing retired folks to push their own agenda. I would pay more to another company rather than support them.

By the way, I don't like them or their activities.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #23
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by toolmanroy

I have to be careful how to word my response, but I found I could not belong to AARP because they spend a lot of the money to back political issues with which I do not agree. I feel an organization like that should not spend money they receive through dues to do that.

As for insurance, they do not offer any policy for those of us stuck BEFORE Medicare kicks in.
Well said, I was wondering how I could tactfully respond to this question. They'll not get on cent of mine...due to their political views. I don't care how good they are or what they provide...I'll find it elsewhere.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We Have belonged to AARP for many years, had one of their supplemental insurance policies till we did not need it any more. Have used their various discounts on occasion. The magazine keeps. me abreast of senior issues. As for political views...if I took that into account on everything I do i would probably not listen to most radio, Tv, read most newspapers, drive hardly any brand of Auto, shop in very few stores and speak to almost no one. I try to do what best serves our needs..politics aside.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #25
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Rich!!! Well said
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #26
Retired Pilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #6630
100% Agree w/toolmanroy.
Retired Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:36 AM   #27
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We belong to AARP for the discounts and information. We also have term insurance with them. They seem to be more reasonable for us old folks of 69 going on 70. For you younger RVrs I can see your reasons for not joining. But the older you get, the harder insurance gets and becomes very expensive.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:28 AM   #28
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Dito Toolmanroy, just shredded latest mailing from them before I came on line.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:50 AM   #29
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I've been getting loads of mail from this group wanting me to join.
If they send me this much now, it'll only get worse if I joined.

Once I joined the Good Sam Club I got buried with paper. I didn't join to kill trees and fill landfills with paper. There should be a way to opt out from this.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #30
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I emailed AARP and asked them to take my name out of their database. After the second email request, it has worked for over six months. Not one piece of AARP junk mail.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:54 AM   #31
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
I've been a member for many years and find their magazines and newspapers to be very helpful in many areas. I don't recall any junk mail????
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #32
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
To further comment on this issue, we did have a card for a couple of years but gained nothing from it, and we began to notice where our money was going. We did get an insurance quote from Hartford at $300 more a year than we pay with State Farm as long-time customers. I do think it depends on what part of the country you live in for the insurance.

I have been interested in this organization but still need to do some homework on it: http://www.usanext.org/
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote