Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Do I still need a slider with the new Monty?

A lot of discussion with new folks getting new rigs and new Monty's and one of the topics is what kind of hitch. Do shortbed trucks still need a slider hitch.

I decided to put aside the snow shovel and go find out for myself.

Did the new nose eliminate the short bed issue - NO

Did it improve the turning capability - YES

Is the overhang shorter on the new nose design - YES

Could I get by without the slider - MAYBE

Will I try - NO

The link below is the series of tests I took. If you select SLIDE SHOW at the top it will provide text explanations of what I was doing.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...8899&members=1

I have a 2006 F350 with a Reese 16K with slider, and a 2007 3400RL (short pin box). Different vehicles and hitch types vary. I have the 1116 Pinbox which is 14-1/2" from the front row of bolts to the center of the pin. The 1621 Pinbox (widely used by Montana for the lower GVWR trailers) is 17-1/2" from the front row of bolts to the center of the pin.

Keep in mind I had to "back" into this position to get that close. The turning radius on our Ford is not tight enough to get this close going forward.

I stand to loose an additional 1-1/2" on the overhang length by installing the Fifth Airborne pin box (gulp). (only 13" from front bolts to center of pin)

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Great pictures Brad! They say a picture is worth a thousand words... I hope this will help clarify for folks about the need for a sliding hitch.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Great pictures Brad,

Are you going to keep your Reese slider or going to get one of those auto slider hitches? I have pretty much the same truck & the older style of cap on the Monty. I also have the 16K Reese slider hitch. I've never slide the hitch back, but I should have once. Put a small dent in the back right corner of the truck cab.

We had a RV show here this Weekend (Vancouver Ca). I see that Hijacker have a Auto sliding hitch, looks like a copy of the Pullrite Super Slider. The Hijacker Hitch is about 1800.00 Ca. Not a bad price for this part of the world.

I have my Reese slider set at it's lowest hight, approx 17" from the Truck bed to the top of the floating head. I couldn't get a Minimum hight of the Hijacker hitch at the show, but I wouldn't want to go much higher or the Trailer will start riding too nose high.
But would be nice to have a auto sliding hitch.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
J&D, Now that I know I'll be keeping a slider, my next investment may be a superslider, once I decide if I'm satisfied with the air pin box and can rule out an air hitch altogehter. For now, I'm OK doing it manually as I did with my 2003 Monty.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:59 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thank you Brad. Because of the Superglide I was unable to do any kind of a test. Sure glad you jumped in on that one.

For those of you that do not have a SuperGlide nor do you have that new Monty but have that all mighty BottomLine $$$$$, I would be haggling with the dealer in trying to get the SuperGlide at a significant savings or thrown in with the sale. When we arrived at the Bottom Line on my 03 I haggled a bit more and got my hitch thrown in at no cost. Hey, all they can say is no and I doubt that will happen.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
gherman49
Established Member

M.O.C. #5673
BLESS YOU!!! I plan to get a superslider. One more question please. I have the 3295 RK (2004)with the 1621 pinbox and a 2007 Chevy Duramax, SB, 2500HD. The 1621 will put the "pinbox hardware" farther back toward the tailgate when in the tow position as you pointed out. Do you forsee any tailgate clearance problems when sliding? I know with the superslider, the farther you manuever, the further you slide and begin to pick up clearance due to the pinbox/tailgate aspect angle, but have not seen any data length of slide vs. degree of turn.

Looks cold up there. It is sunny and beautiful in NM - cold, but it will warm as it does most days.

Glenn Herman
Las Cruces, NM
No profile yet
gherman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:52 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Interesting set of pictures..We have the same truck but a Long box and the same camper but with the Mor-Ryde pin box. We can get our front compartment open and latched in the tow position. Due to a stupid move on my part we had to turn around on a narrow road that had no place to turn around which resulted in more than jack knifing the 3400 with plenty of cab clearence. I don't know what the difference in cost is between the short bed and long bed but it may be worth a think or two IF you are purchasing a new TV.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:14 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Aaah Glenn, I think at this point I could deal with the cold if there was just a little less snow! My Monty is filthy and my truck hasn't been washed for 2 months! I was a little embarrassed to even show the pics .

I can only speak for my equipment - however we did have a 2003 2955RL with the 1621 pin box on this truck and did not have any clearance problems with the tailgate using the slider.

If you look at this pic (hitch in maneuver position), the pinbox has plenty of clearance from the tailgate, and would allow for the additional 4" of the 1621 pin box. Also, my tailgate height is 23-1/2", whereas your Chev should only be around 19". At no point during these maneuvers did the pin box come close to the tailgate or the side fenders in either hitch position. Keep in mind we were on level ground and extreme angle on extreme terrain can change all the rules in a hurry. If I know I'm on angled terrain, I keep a watchful eye on the hardware back there.

I also learned that installing an aftermarket extended pin box would only help towing straight, it would do nothing for my turning. It is the pivot point that is critical, not the length of the pinbox. If you look at my first pic in the post, the additional 4" would only mean the Monty would hit the cab closer to the center of the nose, but it would still hit. I've concluded that for the short bed issue, an extended pin box is a waste of time and not worth the undue stress on the Monty frame.

Hopefully some of the Chev/GMC owners will kick in, but I would say the pin box clearance issue should not be a problem.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

Do you know what pin box you have (1116 or 1621)? Bert has (had) the 1621 and could also open the cabinet on the longbed. It gives you another 3" of length.

The SB versus LB was certainly not a cost issue, and I'm not sure there even is a cost difference. It's driving style preferences and whether or not my baby gets parked in the garage or not .
Old 02-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
My 3075 came with the 1116 Pinbox. I replaced it with a Mor-ride pin box which has the same 14 1/2" distance (bolt hole to center of Pin).
The superglide is an awesume hitch. I questioned whether I needed it or not. Decided I probably would forget to work the manual so went with superglide. Also the turn into my driveway is very sharp to get over a culvert and where I park the Montana I have to back around several trees requiring a sharp angle.
Anyway so far so good.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Brad it is the 1116 ..understand the garage thing.This thing does not come close to fitting in the garage and it is a pain in the butt to drive around....such is life..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:32 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

Mysterious..... I guess if you have the 1116 and can get the cabinet door open on a long bed, I have no explanation. Axle position on the long bed? Hitch placement? I just don't know.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #13
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Great Picture spread. Thank you a lot.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
It is my understanding (from a post that quoted a representative from Pull-Rite) that not all short-bed pick-ups are equal. The distance from the rear of the cab to the center of the rear axle is different with the Dodge being the shortest (thus having the least clearance between the front cap and the rear of the cab), Ford being in the middle, and Chevy having the greatest distance (and the most clearance). Have a friend who has a Chevy short-bed, the new cap on his Monty, and no clearance problem.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
allot of good info. thanks for sharing.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Frisbee

It is my understanding (from a post that quoted a representative from Pull-Rite) that not all short-bed pick-ups are equal. The distance from the rear of the cab to the center of the rear axle is different with the Dodge being the shortest (thus having the least clearance between the front cap and the rear of the cab), Ford being in the middle, and Chevy having the greatest distance (and the most clearance). Have a friend who has a Chevy short-bed, the new cap on his Monty, and no clearance problem.

Bill
Bill,
That is correct. I got that info from the Pullrite rep while in Redmond, OR. during the 2005 Great North American RV Rally.

I have a CB antenna mounted in the bed stake hole in the front left corner of my bed. The coach clears the antenna with ease when in a full jack knife maneuver even with the old style front end cap. This is because of my Superglide. I have also done a U-turn on a 2 lane road w/ a center turn lane without any issues. This will be my last shortbed truck, but as long as I own it there will be a Superglide in the bed.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #17
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Brad--
Have never regretted the $$$ invested in our SuperGlide Hitch. It has saved our bacon in several really tight and nasty spots which we got into through no fault of our own. The ability to do a 90 degree turn without having to get out and make adjustments is fabulous. You can concentrate on extricating yourself from a bad place without also worrying about whether your truck cab will survive. I am anxious to see how the 3400RL lines up with the Superglide/TrailAir Air Ride Hitch combo. Still waiting to see--the Monty languishes in an inside bay in MI waiting for us to retrieve it--which we will do when the temps there warm up a bit.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote