Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
mjflora
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5556
Windy Days

How does your rig handle going down the road in winds of maybe 25-30mph? We're facing this as we leave Montana Thursday morning and head south. This is our first trip with our rig and it would be nice to kind of know what to expect!

Thanks!

mjflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We have had no problems towing in wind. We have run in some fairly high winds in Utah and Nevada.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I haven't pulled my current trailer in windy weather but the previous one did fine and it was storming and lightening outside also. I'm sure someone will be along to give you their story.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
If it is a tail wind you will love it. Straight on head winds will give you some problem, but I find that a quartering head wind is hardest to deal with as it tends to make the rig sway going down the highway. Expect a 2-3 MPG lost on fuel milage if from the front or side.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The only thing that bothers the daully is headwinds and the resulting fuel mileage. Tailwinds, love them; crosswinds, no problem, hardly noticeable.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I agree with Charlie on all counts. I have pulled ours in side winds of 28 to 30 mph, and gusts to 40 and 45 mph. It's not fun by any means, but do-able, I just drive a little slower to keep better control of the rig. I have not felt like it was going to blow over, just a little hard to keep between the lines on these good eastern NM roads.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are not part of the "drive in high winds" group..no reason to do that at all. When ever we hear the truckers complain about the cross winds we are in a C.G..Once had a wind gust blow us side ways over three lanes..never again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Not much choice around here Rich, wind blows 95% of the time, and hard enough all the trees lean to the northeast, permanently .
Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
If you came from a motorhome as your last rig - just remember to keep an eye in your mirrors to see how the Monty is handling. Unlike a motorhome, your Monty can be taking the brunt of the wind back there and you won't feel it in your tow vehicle.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Overpasses can be an issue, especially if they are already posted with a gusty wind sign. Ease up on the gas a bit and get more weight on the ground and you should be okay. Watch the truckers, keep you CB on and if they start parking that would be a good clue to stop. Up to about 45 you should be okay. Much above that and you may want to shut it down.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I pulled the coach through Wyoming with winds steady at 35mph and gusts to 50mph back in October. No problems with stability or the truck being able to pull the load, fuel economy is another story.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:50 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Over the years, I have pull through gusts up to 40+ mph hitting me on both port and starboard. Although I did feel it I was not the least bit concerned and continued on down the road. However once they get to 50 or above I'll pull it over. As pointed out head winds are costly but tail winds are our friends but keep in mind those head or tail winds can become port or starboard winds in a matter of minutes.

My suggestion is if you feel the least bit uncomfortable or intimidated pull it into a rest area or better yet an RV park.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:34 AM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639

John & Mary I have never had any problem in the "windy area" and I have pulled my Monty in some border line windy conditions, "Should I or shouldent I".
Besides my Monty pulls like a dream in any kind of wind so far, I dont know weather it's the big footprint of having duel rear wheels for side slammers but I usually watch the shrubs or tree line for direction of wind. I have hit some stuff out of the Devore cut off and the Cajone Pass to Vegas that had advisories out "High Winds in the passes". About the only time that I notice a problem is a direct head on blow, it will slow me down quite a bit but I eventually get there.
I usually watch the big trucks or large profile vehicles if I see them parking off to the side of the hwy I will probably do the same.
But so far I just chug along.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:10 AM   #14
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We've also towed in 30-40 mph winds and not had a problem so far. You do have to adjust your driving to conditions. We also watch the truckers, road signs/warnings, etc. Agree with Glenn. If you feel in the least uncomfortable, find a campground or safe place to pull off the road until conditions are better.Safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #15
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
We have pulled in all kinds of wind. The tailwind is great. Head wind isn't that bad. It's the head wind coming at a 45 degree angle that is a bearcat. Sidewinds can be bad too, especially when you go by a shelered area and come back into the open. The best advice is drive if you feel comfortable dealing with it. If not, pull over where you can get totally off the roadway, wait it out. Unfortunatly, that is not always an option when you have to be back at work in the morning. One thing, always be courteous. If you are tieing up traffic behind you due to reduced speed, pull over and let them go by. If you are following them, they might give you a clue what to expect ahead. A point of higher gusts, etc. JMO.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:55 AM   #16
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have hit some rough wind going through NM. In fact we have never went through NM without wind!
Reduced our speed and went on. If it gets too bad we will pull over.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok..Ok..I am eating some crow here..Climbing out of Santa Rosa , NM West bound on I-40 toward Albuquerque..Saw some signs that said.."if light is flashing, I-40 is closed, Exit at next exit"..Snow signs I thought....Then we see a sign that says.."caution Dangerous crosswinds" Well I thought thay have some winds around here..but not today..We stop at a Stuckleys for fuel about 5 miles after that sign..I open the door and am blown out of the truck..The wind sucked the floor matt out of the truck and nearly took off my jacket..Went into the, 3400 for a potty break while the fuel was pumping and the wind was howling, the camper was rocking and rolling...I never noticed the wind while driving ..it was business as usual.We got back into the truck where it was safe andd continued.. I then noticed that all the N.M scrub pines were bent in the same direction..My previous experience was with a lighter truck and a lighter TT..This big ole F-350 and the 3400 is a different story...
When I am wrong....I am really wrong..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #18
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

The only thing that bothers the daully is headwinds and the resulting fuel mileage. Tailwinds, love them; crosswinds, no problem, hardly noticeable.
I rest my case, Your Honor.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #19
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yepper, Montana 5ers tow like a dream! EVEN in the wind!

That said, when we leave the Valley in the spring, we try to wait for a day with a nice southerly flow, vs, north, northwest or northeast. One year we hauled out of there with a 35 to 40 northerly wind, and it sucked the gas out of Big Butt even worse than normal. OK, we are used to seeing about 7 MPG, on a nice downhill day, maybe even 8 MPG, but heading north from the Valley with that 35 miler, it dropped to about 5 MPG. That HURT!!!! So the next year we decide we will try to avoid that scenerio if possible. Talking to other residents in the same park, we asked, "when you leaving", answer, "when the wind blows out of the south!!"

Rich, good post!! Thanks for making it! It always amazes me to get out of Big Butt and discover what the winds really are! We have been surprised like that too.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #20
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Good post Rich, and humorous. I'm sure you felt comfortable pulling across I-40 in that wind with the tv you are pulling with, however, I would caution you against letting your guard down. I have lived in this state all my life, and have seen them ALL blown over, from the smallest TT, to the heaviest semi's. I'm sure you are an excellent driver, and I am by no means trying to discredit you, or your ability to handle the situation. Just throwing my 2 cents in the pot.
BTW, the scrub pines are actually cedar, and juniper trees.