Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
What a sight!

We are driving east on I-20 in east Texas and were just passed by a beautiful rig. The fifth wheel was a Kountry Aire (two sets of dual wheels) towed by a semi tractor that was painted to match the various shades of brown on the fiver. In tow behind the fiver was a color-coordinated Jeep Wrangler with two auxiliary gas tanks attached to its back. They were red, the only things that weren't color coordinated! Looks like he was ready for anything!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Judy,

I saw one of those 5ers with the duallys on the back (Newmar I think). I told the DW "now that guy probably doesn't have the axle bending problem"

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
So, we all tow one of the finest RVs on the planet and yet there's always a nicer one just around the corner. A few weeks ago we ran out of ice so I knocked on the door of the RV next to me and he went to his installed ICEMAKER and gave me a few pounds for the night's beverages. Just goes to prove that story about greener grass.

I've always noted that the driver's financial success was directly proportional to what type Jeep was in tow behind the rig. Now if this guy had a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 in tow.....
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Just sounds like alot of show to me, I'm perfectly contented with what I have.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, it was a pretty nice setup, not flashy but well done. I guess if you have the $$$ for it, it looked like a great setup. The jeep was a Jeep Wrangler. He looked like he was ready to hit the trails out in Utah.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You don't have the built in ice maker Steve? Wonder if Keystone forgot on yours .

Been a Jeep lover all my life, but I'll be putting a Toyo FJCruiser behind my diesel pusher someday.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Newmar makes a great RV. The Mountain Air and Kountry Air are very nice 5th wheels, for a real treat check out the Essex 45' Class A by Newmar.

Judy,
I bet it was a sight to see... Wish I could have seen it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
When we were at the Montana 05 rally in Minden there was an Essex with a paint matched stacker trailer behind. Inside he had a Mercedes below and above a Ferarri.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ahh, yes...the ol' Mountain Aire... Can often be seen traving as a pair (Brother-in-law & wife) and me & mrs with our Monty. That little black Chevy was our previous TV pullin a Fleetwood Terry. We (wife & I) prefer our Monty as its the RL while the Mountain Aire is nice it doesn't have his-n-hers swivel rocker recliners!!!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's a beautiful rig, too, noneck, especially that truck.

It really was something to see, Dave, and I know it would have gotten your attention. The colors were dark like a high dollar diesel pusher which really looked nice. You almost forgot you were looking at a fifth wheel.

Charlie, we're really low class, I guess. Wonder why he was driving around with those toys.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

You don't have the built in ice maker Steve? Wonder if Keystone forgot on yours .

Been a Jeep lover all my life, but I'll be putting a Toyo FJCruiser behind my diesel pusher someday.
Brad, I've owned 7 Jeeps since 1984, both my boys and my wife still drive them.

Seriously, I noticed that there was some framing in the kitchen sink cabinet that might fit an icemaker. Off topic, but does anyone have one installed in their kitchen cabinetry?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

Brad, I've owned 7 Jeeps since 1984, both my boys and my wife still drive them.
1984!! So you really haven't ever owned a Jeep then Steve! I'm talkin the CJ3A and CJ3B, even the Willys/Kaiser CJ5 with the legendary Buick Dauntless V-6 and Warn Overdrive that you could split shift for 6 forward speeds ! Here's how I usually parked mine -

hahahaha - Just kidding. I've had those, and have also driven the AMC version as well as Mr Lee Iacocca's version and liked every one of them. That little Cherokee with the fuel injected L6 would stomp all of those Toyota and Nissans back then. I just mentioned the Toyo cruiser because I like the retro look back to the LandCruiser days.

Nice pics - Looks like a happy Jeep family!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:34 AM   #13
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Do I get a pass if I tell you that my son's 1986 Cherokee was submerged twice while it was mine? We're comfort people hence the Jeep Hemi Limited and Overland, the Chevy with the LT3 trim, the Montana...

Now, what about that icemaker bit?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:04 AM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Brad, does a 1968 Jeepster Commando count as a real jeep ?

Icemaker?? I thought that was standard equipment. Mine is right next to the beer tapper, in the same room with the hot tub.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 AM   #15
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
You boys crack me up. I needed a good laugh this morning...too many hours at the hospital...
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:53 AM   #16
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
DAMN!!! I guess I got the economy model! Seriously, there's framing under the sink in my 3400 series that'd fit an icemaker. Not looked for an electric outlet but obviously there's plumbing for water available.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:49 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lonnie - the 68 Jeepster was the Jeep Cadillac, been upside down in one of those too and it certainly qualifies.

Steve - submurging your Jeep not once but twice certainly qualifies your Jeep - especially if its still running (It's a Jeep Thing)!!

I was eyeballing this little icemaker:

http://www.u-line.com/products/product.cfm?p=41

They are pricey though. Almost $800. . I almost think I'll get one of those portable ones that you add water, so you don't have to winterize it as well. But who knows. Need to save room in for the diswasher. I'm looking at the end of the kitchen horseshoe above the hot water tank. If you find that ice maker any cheaper, or a different version, let me know. I hate to add another item to my "list of $1,000 items".
Old 11-29-2006, 06:44 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Kountry Aire is a beautiful rig. I was in one at an RV Show once. And there's one in this park from time to time. Both are full body paint, like Judy described. Beautiful. The one at the show was something over $160,000 list, though. And way too heavy for any tow vehicle I could also drive on those backroads we love to explore.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:48 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

DAMN!!! I guess I got the economy model! Seriously, there's framing under the sink in my 3400 series that'd fit an icemaker. Not looked for an electric outlet but obviously there's plumbing for water available.
Steve, four screws and pull out the central vac. There's a double outlet in that compartment. A small hole from the sink side would provide access..
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 AM   #20
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I was eyeballing this little icemaker:

http://www.u-line.com/products/product.cfm?p=41
This is the one I'm looking at too Brad, those are the dimensions that the cabinet is framed for. I can't see any other reason for such undercabinet construction. Looks like all I'd have to do is cut the cabinet paneling and slide that bugger right in!

Steve, my vac is in the basement and is plugged into that basement outlet. The air connection is to the left of the bedroom stairs next to the pantry. I bet I can get 120 VAC from the outlets in the kitchen easily enough.

EDIT - Would a hose from the kitchen reach the bedroom to clean the closet, for example?