Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
radio flyer
Established Member

M.O.C. #8409
Leak 307RKD 2007 Montana Mountaineer

Have a leak at the base of the refrigerator near the slide. Does not matter if slide is in or out or FW is moving or not. The rug gets wet & under the refrigerator also. THANKS for any much needed help.

radio flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There have been many documented fridge?? leaks that seem to originate in the outside vents. The solution in some cases was the addition of a piece of aluminum angle. The obvious question is whether the leak is associated with rain events. If not, it seems like there has also been mention of an evaporation pan beneath the fridge where the drain can become clogged. I have never experienced this so am merely going off of forum memory. Have you tried the search function, it should reveal the aluminum angle fix??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by radio flyer

Have a leak at the base of the refrigerator near the slide. Does not matter if slide is in or out or FW is moving or not. The rug gets wet & under the refrigerator also. THANKS for any much needed help.
Is the fridge drain tube sticking out of the cooling vent on the outside?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #4
radio flyer
Established Member

M.O.C. #8409
My leak is from rain water. Rear area inside the vent is never wet. Tube is sticking out & not broken. Do not get the leak unless it is raining.
radio flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by radio flyer

My leak is from rain water. Rear area inside the vent is never wet. Tube is sticking out & not broken. Do not get the leak unless it is raining.
Just wanted to be sure it wasn't the drain. I've seen them tucked in quite a few times.

We have had a similar leak when our fridge faces a rain with lots of wind. Like you, I found the base for the fridge dry. The only thing I ever figured was the wind was blowing rain in the attic vent and it was running down beside the fridge. But, if your fridge is in a slide....you don't have an attic vent.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Richard Wallace

M.O.C. #11353
I just repaired leaks in three of my slides. The rain water was entering under the carpet at the interior corner of two of the slides. I couldn't see the corner behind the third slide ,frig, but repaired it also. Took me a long time and several unsuccessful fixes of areas I thought was the problem. I finally found that rain water running down the side of the silde was collecting at the bottom, below the slide panel, where the black water barrier wraps the plywood flooring. Apparently a slight gap was wisking the rain water into the interior corner. I used gorilla tape across the bottom of the panel to redirect the rain water away from the bottom of the slide and the corners dried up. For a permanet fix I removed the trim and used black 3M 4" aircraft tape, wraping 1/2 inch under the bottom of the slide onto the black water barrier materiel that seals the flooring. If the gap had been larger the water would not have entered the interior, but because it was such a tiny gap the water was drawn in. Sense your leak is a rain event you might watch the water running down the side of the slide opposite your frig and see if it might be turning under and accumulating at the bottom in the area of the black floor covering. The black wrap is about 1/8 inch below and slightly reccessed at the bottom of each slide.
Richard Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I had checked my fridge outside access panel many times and could find nothing wrong until...I used a hose and flooded above the access door. Then with careful inspection I noticed the water snuck in under the "door" and down just behind the plastic trim.
If you flood the side with a shower type nozzel from the just above the door and then check the floor by the fridge or under the fridge you will know if it is the access door. My carpet was wet just at the edge of the slide and I was sure that was where the water was coming in. After lifting up the carpet I noticed it was dry near the slide. The water was coming in under the 1/4 round trim where the wall met the floor.
To remedy my problem I removed the outside trim and then I could see it had been leaking probably from the first rain.I reinstalled the trim after carefully caulking it in place. Then I carefully removed those center plastic pieces in the middle of the bottom of the trim (with a hacksaw blade)and then caulked in a piece of aluminum angle iron. I also put in a thin piece of weatherstripping across the top of the access door. It is dry now!
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Our 307 RKD leaked at the back of the slide, in a very hard rain water would literally pour in. Get a water hose to test and a roll of 6" wide eternabond and you'll find it.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote