Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
5th wheel hitch problem

Does any MOCer out there have any experience with an 18k Select Plus 5th wheel hitch? My hitch has become reluctant to lock up properly- I am in contact with customer service but the results are not good at this point- The handle does not close completely so the safety pin can't be inserted- I will not attempt to tow without the safety pin in place- My THANX in advance for all the replies I am sure I will receive- The ultimate outcome will be posted- Don

DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Don, our problem was directly related to having not greased the mechanism properly. There is a fitting at the top of the plate to the right of the locking device. Once you have greased the c--p out of it, you should not have a problem. On occassion we are a little high which also causes a problem. Follow the instructions for proper hitching and you should be OK.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Don I have the Reese Signature which looks like the same hitch that you have. I grease mine a couple of time a year more important to me is to clean and remove the old grease to keep it from getting dirty and cake up hard. I'll remove the top of the hitch so I can turn it over and with a can of WD40 spray and clean it as I remove the old grease with rugs. Don if the safety pin is hard to install after the handle slides in while hitching, look to see if the what Reese calls The King pin indicator is not bent so the king pin is not able to push it far enough to move the arm so the safety pin can be installed?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote