Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Light Bulbs Blowing

New 2011 3400 with two 12 volt drop lights over the kitchen sink. Both have blown in less than three weeks into extended trip. Also noticed those lights brightened last night when they were on. Second bulb blew tonight after being on for awhile. The first blew about a week ago, replaced and has been working okay since. The glass part of second bulb is black. The metal part that screws into the socket doesn't appear to be black. The first one to go did not have the black on the glass bulb part. Replaced both and are working but wonder about this. Electrical components always worry me and I am not an electician. Any thoughts? Another issue, as long as camper is connected to shore power, the converter is powering 12 volt lights and appliances such as bedroom TV - not the battery - correct?

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When connected to shore power, and getting 110v to the rig, the "converter" is also providing additional 12v in order to charge the batteries. The batteries are also still being used for anything having to do with 12v.

You are right that 110v is only provided when connected to shore power or a generator. The batteries cannot provide 110v unless you buy an inverter but these are generally for low power requirements unless you get a powerful inverter.

It seems when you first buy a rig some of the light bulbs could be damaged when they are installed. I have seen them intensify prior to blowing out, or blowing out prematurely. If you replace the bulbs and they keep having a problem I'd start looking for wires that might be tightened down or broken. Do this when the power is off and the batteries disconnected.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are lots of 12v lights in the trailer. Is it only those two having a problem? Or are they the only ones you use much?
Since you see them brighten noticeably, sounds like they are getting to high of a voltage. I would have dealer check it out.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Cheap bulbs don't stand up to vibration as well as the name brands (and I suspect they are cheap bulbs). When the filament breaks while the bulb is it, it often vaporizes, so what you see is the tungsten coating the inside of the glass.

As Art said, the converter and batteries are operating in parallel, but the ocnverter may have switched its voltage depending on the charging condition, so the lights got brighter. Or some other load on the system switched off and there was less voltage drop in the wiring. It doesn't take much of a voltage change for lights to get brighter, or dimmer.

I would suggest you find out what type of converter you have, and if it has a multistage charger. You want one that has bulk, absorption, and float stages at least, and most now have an equalization stage that helps keep the battery plates from sulfating (getting a coating that reduces the efficiency and eventually kills the battery).

If your converter doesn't have these stages, then it could easily overcharge your batteries. Some converters have the capability built in, and others have an accessory that will plug into it to make it a multistage charger. Worth knowing.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote