Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
Newbie's first Winter

OK I know its a little soon, however I like to make sure I protect my Monty. I have a few questions about winterizing.
I keep my Monty at my home, plugged in, does it do any harm to let the frige run or is it better to secure it off?
When I winterize, is antifreeze better or blowing the lines out. I have the 10th anniversary 2955 with the winterizing fittings at the service door.
What do I do with the fresh water tank? Run pump til dry??
What other tips are out there. We may want to jump in and head to Florida in January, how hard is it to dewinterize for short trip.
I have seen a few threads about using a small electric heater in the wintertime, Any recommendations?
Thanks
James, Jan and Zoe

jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi James,
Just my opinion, but I would shut the reefer off, it just adds hours and wear and tear to it, if not used. As for the lines, I would blow them out then add anti-freeze, you will want to use it in the traps anyway.
I would drain the fresh water and add anti-freeze to it, to treat any water that doesn't drain out.
I usually go South in the Winter, so many members have more experience and knowledge on this than I do.
I really don't see any need for a heater if it is winterized.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
When I stored mine near Rochester, NY. I blew out the lines then pumped in Anti Freeze. No power so I pulled the Battery and stored it in the basement. As OZZ said Anti Freeze in the drains. Opened the drain to the fresh water tank and just drained it. Used the winterize feed from the out side to pump in anti freeze so the fresh water pump had anti freeze in it. Blew out the sewer flush line. I leave the doors open on the refrigerator any time it is not powered up.
Get the tires off the dirt, at least on to planks if not on concrete.
I put Bay leaves in all the drawers, closets etc to help discourage little critters from wintering in Monty.
Make sure you drain all you water hoses before you store them in the basement. We left the roof vents open but do have the exterior covers over them.
I made sure I put at least 1/2 a gallon of anti freeze into each gray and the black holding tank after they were flushed and properly drained.
When I temporarily winterized last year for two or three weeks did all above but just blew out the lines. We went south the first of Dec.
Welcome to the forum. We are looking forward to your experience and adventures.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunshine

Our Montana sits outside, unprotected, all winter. We have a small electric heater that we keep on low so that the temp stays above freezing and it keeps moisture from accumulating (but we are in the high desert and moisture is not as big a problem here as it would be in other locales). We leave the refrig off. The freshwater tank has a drain plug and you would would want to drain all the water. It is not hard to dewinterize if you decide to head for warmer climes. There are folks in various locations in the Midwest who head south in the middle of the winter season who could tell you what they do.
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
When I dewinterize ours to head south in the winter, I pump the antifreeze back into a gallon jug and use again.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
James: Even if you 'blow' the lines out, there will still be some water that accumulates in the low areas of the lines -- as many have said, antifreeze run thru the pump and fill all the lines -- this takes care of getting water out of the pump (replacing it with RV antifreeze) and also puts antifreeze in those low areas of the lines. Be sure to do your outside shower (if you have one), and your washer lines if your unit is plumbed for one (some people have installed shut-offs to the washer lines at low points to keep those lines clear. Be sure and put a cup or two of antifreeze in each drain (to fill the p-trap); as for the refer -- empty it of everything and then shut it off -- be sure to put something in the doors to keep them propped open some. Otherwise, come spring you will have a nasty, moldy surprise possibly waiting for you. I know I'm forgetting something --- Oh yeah -- some people have posted that they put 'dri-rid' or something like that in the unit as well -- basically this is an air drier compound that comes in a small bucket shape -- they use it to remove the excess humidity out of the air in the closed up unit -- not sure where they were located or where you are but have read of several doing this because the unit gets a 'musty' smell to it while closed up. Ah yes - what I was forgetting -- don't forget to drain your gray and black tanks!!! We used our trailer last December and when we got back home it was cold and snowing -- I winterized the lines but said I'd drain the tanks on Saturday which was supposed to be warmer. I forgot. Needless to say, come March I had one very putrid mess to correct.......... drain them, flush them, and put drain that as well. The little antifreeze that gets into them from filling the traps is not nearly enough to keep those tanks winterized if not drained first.

Sorry for the long post but hope I've helped.

Hope all this helps.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
James-- One other thing that has not been mentioned--- If you do not have a shutoff/bypass valve on the hot water heater, put one on the line so you don't pump the anti-freeze into the H20 heater. Drain it and blow out the water heater if possible with air and put your anode rod back in with teflon tape around the fitting. I turn off the electric switch on the heater(outside) and also the breaker on the panel for the heater also so I don't accidently turn it on without any water in it and burn out the element. Your newer rig may be different than mine however. I don't know how yours is set up! This is my advice in the way of winterizing!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
rwellesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #7799
Don't forget your hot water heater. Turn the valve in the service center to the bypass mode and pull the anode to drain the tank.
rwellesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
It was said before, make sure that the doors to the refer are open and the light is out. Don't forget to put some of the pink stuff in the drains in the sink and shower. Drain the water tank and also if you have an outside shower get some of the RV antifreeze into those lines.

DO NOT USE AUTOMOBILE ANTIFREEZE, ONLY RV ANTIFREEZE.

Just flush the lines and and don't forget to open the hot water tank bypass valve in the spring.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Do Bay leaves keep the mice out?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote