Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Yellowstone Park and Area

Arrived in Island Park, Idaho today. 32 degrees and snowing. Gotta love it. Thought I'd seen the last of the white stuff when I left Alaska, no way......

For all you tour guides out there, I have never been here before, what should I be looking for????

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Warmer weather????
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Phil, You are in one of our favorite area's to visit. Though not an expert on the entire area I recommend starting at Big Springs which is the headwaters of the Henry's Fork and is spawning grounds for huge rainbow trout. West Yellowstone Mt. is a short drive from there. It is a neat town to visit but very commercialized. It is the west entrance to Yellowstone. At least do the two loops in the park. The loops will catch many of the attractions and a great oppurtunity to see wildlife. The Madison River Valley is on your way into the park. It is really pretty early morning and evening. Don't miss Fire Hole Canyon on your way to Old Faithful. If you aren't rushed do the North loop one day and the south loop on another day. Stop at all the points of interest shown on any park map you will pich up. The lodges inside the park are worth stopping for a look. I and go on and on but hope this gives you some ideas. You are truly in for a treat. You will have to duplicate some of the roads to get to Cody but I don't suggest you try sightseeing the park while pulling the 5'er.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:41 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Not sure exactly which park you are staying in. We were in Red Rock a couple of summers ago. Just to the south is a beautiful little area called "Jack's Cabin" (Jack is the last name of the man who built it). We enjoyed the beauty of that spot so much we drove down there several times. In the event that you are staying in Red Rock, the manager there could give you some really good suggestions for day trips. The road to the west of Red Rock climbs on up to the state line (I believe between Idaho and Montana). We enjoyed that drive. About a half mile down that road from Red Rock there was a youth rodeo that we enjoyed very much. They were kids from "all over" who spent the summer at the ranch and put on a rodeo in the evenings (not sure which days of the week). Our memories of that area are all pleasant.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
David, We are in Valley View RV Park, RIGHT along the road.......Front row center..

Jimcol. Since it is rainy and snowy today, your suggestion about West Y. was something we had discussed. Guess that will be our plan today. Forecast for better weather for next three days so will save that for sightseeing the park and the Tetons....
Old 06-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Some pretty country up that way. West Yellowstone has a great campground, the Grizzly. very nice, but pricy. If you follow the road south through Felt, Idaho, it's a beautiful drive along the back side of the Grand Tetons. Teton Pass into Wyoming is a 10% grade for 5 miles, so take it easy. Also, be aware that there is a Wyoming State Trooper with radar just as you cross into Wyoming, so watch your speed. Don't ask how I know this, LOL!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Another good day trip is just to the north of West Yellowstone where the earthquake was in about 1960. You can still see some of the damage and Quake Lake is an interesting place. Some real pretty scenery outside of the park--there is also an old mining town--I think the name is Virginia City, a little further "up the road" from Quake lake that is sort of fun to go see.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
exav8tr, "Jack's Cabin" is just down the highway to the south--not far, I don't remember the miles.

Now before someone corrects my geography... No way can you reach that state line driving to the West. I was just confused about that point. It must have been a county line!

And Red Rock must be about 8 miles south and west from Valley View.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Puny weather today, we spent the day in West Yellowstone, at least as much as we could take with all the tourist shops. We did manage to visit the Train Museum, saw the IMAX film Yellowstone, drove up to Hebgen Lake and part way around Henry lake. We did lunch in downtown West Y and even had an espresso earlier in the day. Hardly anyone here, I guess their season starts a little later than most. North road in the park was closed today and the Ranger said it was day to day. Forecast is for better weather the next three or four days so we hope to get an early start tomorrow and visit the Tetons first, then Y the next day or three. Thanks to all of you for the tourist advice........
Old 06-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, http://geocities.com/stevereigle/2005_Index.htm then scroll down to the appropriate postcards, starting at August 24, 2005. From there down is some info on several areas around there in addition to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons NP. We were at Red Rock, too, by the way. Watch for Moose along the road from the highway. And there was one moose who came down from the woods and right through the park, right by our site... the day after we left, of course. It's a beautiful area. Enjoy.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Great pics Steve/Vicki. I hope we can see as much as you two did. We are in Island Park for qa week, then Cody for another week. Not alot of time to see so much.......
Old 06-15-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
exav8tr, you're gonna love Cody. It's easy to spend a couple of days in the museum.

Steve and Vicki,...ah...Red Rocks, brings back some fine memories. Twice we had to wait while the cattle were "driven" down the road.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #13
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
2nd on the Buffalo Bill Historical Museum. You could probably spend a week there. The Winchester Firearms museum is worth most of a day by itself.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote