Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
When it rains; it pours

After the tree debacle yesterday, what else could go wrong? Well we found out today. When we got here yesterday after the tree incident, we put up the awning. We normally put a good pitch on one side or the other, but we were tired and our minds were elsewhere with the ripped rubber.

Needless to say, we left this morning to pick up our granddaughter in Cape Coral, and it rained and rained and rained. When we got back this afternoon, Karen noticed that the awning was full of water. No problem, just lower one side and the water will run out just like always before.

Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I lowered the arm; the awning snapped right in the middle. Fortunately our granddaughter wasn't hurt, just soaked to the skin, now she's sitting in the easy chair in her robe eating a fruit cup.

The insurance company will send out an adjuster on Monday to survey the damage. Until then, we have a snapped awning drooping down over the front door. Hopefully it won't rain much more before Monday.

I think I am going to consume massive quantities of adult beverages tonight so when I cry, I won't know if it from the beverages or the bad luck of the last two days.

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
well that is the not best way to start things for your trip . Altho, being with your granddaughter will make things right again. another benefit of the massive amounts of adult beverages .... you wont know where the headache came from either . wishing you better days ahead .... enjoy the sun!
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
'Nother way to look at it

GET ALL THE STINKERS OUT OF THE WAY NOW!! And enjoy the rest of the winter.

Just remember, as bad as it is, there is someone else worse off, SIGHHHH, that is much easier to say than to do.

In the meantime, enjoy that granddaughter, and just wait, she will tell this story over and over again, I can hear her now, "let me tell you what my grampa did to me last time I visited!"
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I agree, it can only get better from here.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Gary and Karen, hope that is the last of the problems, glad everyone is safe. Sue and I changed an awning out, and I dropped one end on her head....she saw some stars, but was Ok.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Everyone should take note that trying to lower one side of an awning full of water is a very dangerous proposition. One gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds, so the weight adds up quickly. I have been fortunate to never be in this situation, but I would think that some other way of removing the water would benefit all of us in case we ever find ourselves in a similar predicament. My initial thoughts are to try to dewater the awning with a siphon pump or similar device. Anybody have any real world knowledge and solutions????
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but like the saying goes, A bad day camping beats a day not camping........I am stuck at the stick house until Thanksgiving....Drats!!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Gary,
Glad nobody was hurt. Who would have thought that would snap the arm? Sure seemed like a good idea to me
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Gary and Karen,

It's only got to get better!

Thanks for the reminder about the awning. We've left our awning leavel several times without thinking about the possibility of water collecting and making a possible dangerous situation.

If we keep reminding each other of some of these hazards, some of us won't have to suffer them, again.

Thanks,
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Guess I'm missing something here. I just went outside and tried to raise my awning high enough to make it flat emough to hold water. I can't get it that high! Are you in the carport position?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yes, water will gather in an awning that is not drastically pitched. We have had it occur and of course middle of the night not wanting to get out of bed but for the feeling of a trailer shifting like it wants to tip over!!!
Advice is to use a broom to push upwards and work off some of the water....lighten the load before attempting to release any of the awning arms.
As Bingo states...1 gallon of water is 8.3 lbs...trap 20 gallons in an awning and you got a 160.6 lb load, and likely you could have a whole lot more than that accumulate in there.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #11
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
a neighbor in a Michigan campground had this occur, her awning caved in the middle and covered the trailer door, so she could not get out. she was there with her kids, and no cell phone service. we eventually heard her and were able to help. it was their first time out with a new trailer, hubby had gone to work. she was not a happy camper, and it looked like it would be their last time out ... we chuckled about it a lot later at our campfire .
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We had this same thing happen with our previous fiver. I got all the cold water!!! Insurance covered it all and since the OEM was no longer made, we got an upgrade. Hope your insurance company is good to you.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have used a long pole (read that broom handle, etc) and gently tapped the side of the fabric and the water is happy to run right down your arm...this is what I didto my slide toppers last time out in Olympia at American Heritage Campgrounds after it rained all day and I had to leave the next morning. Worked find for me.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:02 AM   #14
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
We learned a very valuable lesson yesterday. Always follow your set up routine to the letter no matter how tired you are. If we had done that we wouldn't have had the awning issue. The tree is another matter. We always put a pitch on our awning. However, we had been on the road for 8 hours and weren't thinking clearly and were in a hurry to get stuff done. We were fortunate the only thing damaged was our awning.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:16 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My brother in law had this happen to him a few years back. Now, he is very reluctant to even put the awning out. He instilled upon me the fact that if you leave your awning out and unattended it WILL: rain, snow, sleet, hail, be windy, you name it, no matter what the weather looks like when you leave. I have had to bring mine in late night while raining to avoid this situation. Now, it only goes out when I do. Such a shame not to leave it out all the time while parked. Glad no one was injured. These things can always be replaced, albeit costing us some cash.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Gary and Karen I am soo sorry to hear about your awning problem. I just went through this same disaser 4 months ago. I had to call our neighbor at the camp ground to help us get out of the trailer. It cost about $700.00 to repair which included the shipping for the tube from the factory.
Always look on the bright side... Your grandaughter is safe.
Let us know what happens.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #17
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Sorry about all the problems,
XXXXXXX
BUT!!!!!!
XXXXXXX
Usually a very bad beginning means, many happy and uneventful future trips.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:34 AM   #18
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Insurance will cover the cost of replacing the awning minus our deductible. Check is in the mail. Now all I have to do is call the RV tech and "git r dun!!!!!"
Old 10-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #19
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Great News!!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote