Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Slider Questions...

After our 3rd outing with our 344 Mountaineer and a Reese 16k slider on a Dodge 2500 short bed, we're continuing to have difficulty disconnecting from the 5th wheel when putting it into storage. Although the rig is on a slope (but leveled left to right with a slight nose up trim), I've chocked the 5th wheels, put the truck in neutral to hopefully allow the truck to "float" to reduce any hitch preload, I still have to have wife jockey the truck while I pull on the kingpin release until it finally releases. Any suggestions to help our understanding would be appreciated.
Frustated JC in San Antonio

jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hello jchw,

Welcome the the MOC. I also have a Reese 16K slider but a F350 Ford.
If the nose of your trailer is slightly up, then the trailer wants to slide away from your truck while the truck is in park and the Emergency brake is probably on. This puts a lot of force on the jaws on your hitch and therefore you can not pull the handle to release the trailer.
Put some blocks behind the trailer's wheels and once the trailer is up against the blocks put the truck n neutral or even leave it in reverse.
I find if I leave the truck in reverse putting pressure on the trailer the hitch releases OK.
Hope this makes sense.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I'm w/John. Chock behind the wheels, then back against it. This makes sure there is no pin pressure on the hitch jaws. Chock in front of the wheels. Set the TV emergency brake. Gear down til pin box lifts. Give her a pull.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
that should do it.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
EXCELLENT... it worked tonight - thank you all so very much!!!!!

But this operation still requires two of us... one to put the TV into R, the other to pull on the release handle. Or, is this something that can be done with one person...?? In theory, chalk both wheels on the Mountaineer, put the TV in R, jump out and quickly pull the release handle, then jump back in the cab and put it in P. We're trying to "perfect" our procedures so my wife can take the rig solo up to Kansas...

Another question regarding the slider... there is the "safety pin" that is suppose to pass through the forward slider "leg" once it's in the forward or aft position. Is there any easier way to pass the safety pin through the two holes?? I've thought about using a slightly smaller but longer pin with a hole drilled through the end to put a clip through the end of the safety pin. Any suggestions??

John & Belinda
Old 02-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Same problem here. If you chock behind the trailer wheels, reverse the truck, then set the truck emergency brake before putting it in Park, it should hold the position so you can get out of the truck and release the hitch. This is something I wish Reese would address, although I don't know how they'd solve it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
As we use to say in the Air Force... Delta Uniform Hotel... DUH... Thanks Steve. Will try this "tactic" this weekend...
Old 02-07-2007, 03:12 AM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I don't think reeese will change it. I have a draw-tite which is basically the same hitch. I think reese and draw-tite want it this way so if someone lifts the latch the jaws won't come open when there is back pressure on the jaws. In other words you could drive down the highway like this unlatched (maybe). I think they do this for an extra margin of safety if the latch for some reason is lifted. I like this idea because I am getting old and I would see this in quick time in my rear view mirror. This would allow an old man time to correct his error of not putting down the latch and locking it before dropping the trailer to the bed.

When disconnecting you have to release the back pressure on the jaws before pulling the release handle. Just devise a safe method for doing this depending on the situation.

I prefer to keep my hitch this way.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:53 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
New question. Is this a problem only with Reese hitches or have owners of other brands experienced the same thing?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote