Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch

Did anyone else see the article on the new 2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch in this months Truck Trend magazine??? "Looks" like a very impressive truck. To quote the article, the thing that amazed me was the GVWR and the CGVWR.

GVWR is 16,000 lbs
CGVWR is 32,000 lbs
Max towing 16,000 lbs
Sorry but I forget the payload, but it was rather large.

My question is this, in many states if you have a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating higher than 26,000 lbs you are required to have a CDL. The new F-450 having a CGVWR of 32,000 lbs well exceeds that requirement. So do you now have to go get a CDL to drive this new truck at its full CGVWR??

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
In Colorado - yes. Any vehicle or combination over 26,000 lbs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml Montana Sky try this web site I think it might give you the info you need and according to this website you do not need a CDL in Colorado to drive any RV. But I think there is soome of these people driving these large buses that could use a lesson or two. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
I don't think you need a cdl in any state to drive or tow a rv.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
That's a good question Montana Sky, it's also a pretty gray area. The way I understand it, and I could be wrong, as long as you are towing a recreational vehicle, you do NOT need a Class A CDL in any state. However, some states require a Class A RV License to tow anything over 10,000 lbs. Nevada comes directly to mind, as snfexpress pointed out last weekend, and California is another one, brought to my attention by txkrumm. I have had more than a couple of arguments in the past with DOT Agents because RV'ers were getting away with something ( at least that's the way I felt at the time ) I was being detained or cited for, mainly being overweight with a pickup and equipment trailer. I never won because I was hauling equipment that I used to create revenue, which meant I was a commercial driver, and subject to the same rules as every truck on the road. The people with RV's fall under a whole different category. Now, at the risk of angering a lot of people, I have to say I believe EVERY person towing, or driving, an RV over 10,000 lbs. should be required to have a Class A RV License. I don't mean to offend anyone, and I know most of us are very careful drivers, but there are several areas beyond driving skills on the test that would be of great benefit to everyone. OK, I'm done.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A CDL is for commercial vehicles. In general,If you drive any vehicle for hire you need a CDL. The CDl is actually a federal regulated license. I agree with Lonneb 100%. I drive one of those big busses and there are a whole lot of rv'rs out there who need to know a whole lot more about towing a large heavy camper. I have seen too many rv's that are accidents waiting to happen particularly in the area of over weight. I think every rv should have to go through the scales and be subject to the weight regulations and every rv driver should go through the CDL training and acquire the license. To hold my School bus endorsement on my CDL I need to pass a physical every year. Do remedial driver training each year to demonstrate my driving competence and be recertified every 6 years. No company will allow me to drive that ("big buss) for them till I have been checked out on my driving abilities. Yet I could walk into any RV dealership and purchase the longest, heaviest Motorhome, TT or fiver and drive it away without having a single minute of driver training on the unit.. Sorry guys and gals but a very large number of RV drivers out there can be hazardous to your health.. That does not mean that every CDL holder is a perfect driver but the CDL holder has a lot more training and knowledge in the handling a large rig than the average RV driver.. I know there are some states that require class A CDl to drive a RV and that is a good thing.

Ohio CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

Also

CDL License Classes
Commercial Driver's Licenses have one of the following classes:

Class A Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B Any single unit vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such towing vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C Any single unit vehicle, or combination of vehicles that does not meet the definition of A or B, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver or is placarded for hazardous materials.

All non-commercial licenses expire every five years on the driver's birthday. Commercial licenses expire every five years on the driver's birthday and may not be renewed by mail

;
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks for the great information!

Brad,
In Washington we have the same signs on the side of the road by the scale house, "Any vehicle exceeding 26,000 lbs CGVWR must stop." While on the trip to Goshen I noticed some states have it posted "RV's Excluded" and in other states, no mention of RV's.

I guess the main reason of my thread was to point out the CGVWR and the GVWR of the new 2008 Ford F-450...
Old 10-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Montana Sky,

BigAl is right - I re-read the CO statute and it does only apply to commercial vehicles, so no restrictions on RVs. I guess the way I read it now, you don't even need a CDL if you're a commercial rig under 26,000 lbs providing its not carrying hazmat.

I used to have a CO Class A, but when I tried to renew it in the early 90s, they said CO had dropped the class A and B in favor of the new CDL. I guess that left a big hole in the requirements for the type of vehicle you are describing.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
Thanks! That clears things up... I am still holding out for my Prevost H3-45. =)
Old 10-22-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Do I see a "FORD" in Montana Sky's near future??? I am sure I will be tempted to look at them as well. But I will probably wait it out until 2009's come out. Ford burned me once with a first year engine. Not again.

And I have never stopped at any weigh station in any state. If they want me they will have to catch me. :-)
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Watch yourself in NE sometimes they will specificly tell RV's to pull in on I-80, had it happen last Winter. So do not forget to read the signs like the truckers do, it could save a lot of hassle.

Remember the.....
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:11 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
remember what CDL stands for commercial drivers license if you are driving a commercial vehicle that meets the criteria stated above you need the CDL..Rv's are not commercial vehicles. Individual states can require special licensing for Rv drivers.Ohio has considered a RV endorsement on your regular drivers license like they do a Motorcycle endorsement but it is not a CDL and would apply to Rv drivers only in Ohio,,The CDL is a Federal requirement. I do not have a regular Ohio Drivers license. Turned that in years ago when I acquired the CDL.My license says Commercial Drivers License on the front and the endorsements listed ..M. Motorcycle R. Three wheeled Motorcycle. S. School Bus.T Double/triple trailers
P. Passenger.N. tank Vehicle. H. Hazardous material, X. N and H combined and of course D..operator. That is standard across the country and any LEO in any State can check your license and determine what you are authorized to drive.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #13
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
OK get ready all states in the lower 48 will be by Federal law going to weighted tags renewed annually just like your care tags are. These at one time were called commercial tags, in NC. This is a Federal law that is taking place over next few years. I know there will be arguments over this but wait till you start renewing your tags and see. This year my tag on what use to be commercial tag with weight of 23K pounds went from 108 bucks to over 300.00 bucks. we use to get new tags every January under Commercial tags in NC, we know were issues a permit tag listed as weighted Vehicles which means it must be tagged for weight limit set by you the owner. Know keep in mind if you are stopped and not tagged enough then you have problems on your hand ahead, low and behold if you have accident and under tagged call your lawyer.
My truck has total of 23K capacity so that's what I tagged mine at. Federal DOT Law any vehicle you are driving with total combined weight over 26K requires a CDL period, RV or not.
Some states are not requiring you to go through scales but wait and see what happens over next few years, ask folks in Florida it's starting there now with there DOT folks. States have come together and found another venue for tax dollars, through vehicle taxes and weight fines, guess who that is you and me the RV driver and hauler. Some may think I am crazy but wait and see if it starts in your area.
I started asking around after getting my tags this year, asked several trooper friends and DOT officers that are friends of mine and yes it's true they are starting new tag campaigns across the country and yes it's coming. Were you aware as a CDL driver of a commercial vehicle or weighted vehicle and you are over 26K there is another fine if you ave radar detector, stay under 26K and you have no issues, go over and be prepared, you are then subject not only to state but federal DOT as well, why because you travel out of your home state. Don't kill the messager but it's coming.

And yes I love the new Ford F450 King Ranch from truck trend.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Broome101..Well I would not be surprised should that happen. I never heard of that around here but I will ask around, It did not happen this year as I just renewed my registration on truck and Camper and nothing changed. But if it does happen..I got the CDL..
Old 10-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, the payload is 8,000 lbs. I get the same magazine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks Steve,
Those are some pretty impressive numbers by Ford.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I do like the looks of the Ford Trucks and I think they make a good truck but I cannot get by that new engine. The twin turbo thing has been tried before and I have yet to see it work with any consistentcy. Seems like just one more thing to go wrong. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The twin turbo is sequential. First is a small turbo to get the truck off the line and through the low rpm range. This one has the variable geometry vanes. Next is a larger turbo with fixed vanes that come online at mid-rpm range, and runs simultaneously with the smaller one until a certain rpm. At that point, if I understand correctly, the smaller one drops offline and the large one keeps things going. How well it works remains to be seen.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote