Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Santa Fe experiences

Today, we got the bikes down and rode around the campground, it was nice, I was in the office and a lady asked if there was a handyman around....Yep, I volunteered.
Two real nice ladys from Texas, they had an Airstream, one of them tried shutting the cabinet mirrored door without unlatching it. It was a simple fix, I took it off and bent it sraight.
We talked about travels, Sue came by and had a good conversation, they went up to Taos today.
We were told about a great shopping place in town called the Jackalope, it is really big, many buildings, Furnature, pottery, Sue got some beads and jewelery, I bought some half-pots so I can make some indirect lighting, IF, I can figure it out, it should be neat. I drilled a hole in one for a switch and didn't break it, a nail biter.
We had lunch at a place on Cerrillos road, by Wal*Mart, I had Twin Lobster tails, Sue had Citrus Salmon, YUMMY! It was called Steamed something?? Right across from Wal*Mart.
Another beautiful Sun set and beautiful day.
Ozz
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...SantaFe004.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...SantaFe002.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...SantaFe003.jpg
www.jackalopesantafe.com/index2.html - 11k -

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay you guys are really making me jealous. Shopping and lobster all in one day! Are you going to Taos? It is on my list of MUST GO. I'm an RC Gorman fan (nut) and I have to go to Taos. Keep having fun!
Happy trials........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:25 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I may pass on Taos, too many things to do and see here in the week we have planned. I think we will head for Sedona next, sounds nice there. I would spend a week or two in Albuquerque if the balloon fest wasn't looming on the horizon. No place to park the rig there, all booked up.
We may make it to Vegas, hop on over and meet us!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Ozz,

Just a quick note to say that one of our favorite drives is the old "high road to Taos". Several quaint villages along the way: Chimayo with it's "Sanctuario" (sp???) and our favorite restaurant, "Rancho de Chimayo"; then Truchas ("---Bean Field War" movie) and Trampas with one of the oldest and most primative Spanish churches, "San Jose de las Trampas".

As for Taos our favorite restaurant for years was "Roberto's" back in a shaded patio across from the Kit Carson museum. Unfortunately he only opens when he feels like it and we have had to find other places to eat. I always enjoy the Kit Carson museum and also the hacienda of the Martinez family, boyhood home of Padre Martinez whose story became a tragedy upon the appointment of Archbishop Lamy ("Death Comes to the Archbishop" and also "Lamy of Sante Fe"). The story of their personal struggle is one that should be read by any who are interested in the history of Northern New Mexico.

Got carried away there, but as far as we are concerned you are on "sacred ground" in Sante Fe and Taos.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Dave and Shirley.
We just love it here. We will try to get on the high country train ride, looking into that today.
We are headed to Sedona in a week or so, any tips on that area?
Ozz
Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Sorry, Ozz, can't help there. I believe that is in Arizona? We were recently at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, but that was our only recent visit to Arizona. On the other hand we are usually in Northern New Mexico and Colorado several times each year.

I am not familiar with the "high country train". We have been on the Durango/Silverton several times and once on the Chama/Antonito, but neither of those goes by the name "high country"--as far as I know.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Jim, are you talking about the Cumbres and Toltec railroad? My daughter and son-in-law took that ride (along with 5 others) last summer. Beautiful, beautiful. Are you guys train buffs? We are putting together an N scale for the Monty. There is also a railroad (besides the Grand Canyon - really neat) near Sedona. I forgot the name something like Verde, we were going to do that this past summer but it was too hot when we were there.
Happy trails..................
Old 09-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Padre, I think they just say the train goes to the high country, heck, I wouldn't know the difference, it all looks high to me! No, we are still just outside Santa Fe, N.M. I am rebuilding my cabinets now, had to go to the lumber co. for wood and supplies.
Susie Q, Santa Fe railroad, we leave tomorrow at 10:30 for a 3 hr or so trip.
We will be taking the Sedona railroad as well. I like railroads, the last time I was on one, I left K.C. for California to Navy boot camp, then on to VietNam. This trip will be better....
Ozz
Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Jim, where is the train going? It must have another name. Where did you buy tickets? Web site? I came to California from Kansas first many years ago on a train. My daughter and son-in-law are also BIG train buffs. They have a speeder (rail motor car).
Happy trails..........................
Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We really enjoyed Los Campos de Santa Fe as a RV park. There is a bus stop nearby and the best Mexican restaurant--Tortilla Flats--is about 4 block away. Everything is great and parking is nearby in the parking lot of a bowling alley behind the restaurant.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sue, it just went down the line about 20 miles then backed up. (just as fast)