Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2006, 03:56 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mountain Roads and drivers

Sue and I made a little trip from Manitou Springs Colorado to Cripple Creek Colorado yesterday, a drive with some beautiful views.
The rain turned to sleet and snow as we drove up in altitude. I remember the attitude of some of the natives here, they call visitors 'Flatlanders' and themselves 'Natives", they even sport bumper stickers and signs stating so, (now remember earlier, I stated SOME of the natives) as if they didn't want to be confused with the irritating outsiders. They drive very fast, taking the mountain roads and curves with wild abandon. I encountered a few, where I could, I pulled over and let them pass.
When we returned from Cripple Creek, coming over the mountain roads very high, we saw different road conditions, wet, snowy and slushy. This called for caution, as the next 1/4 mile would bring on unknown conditions. We rounded a corner and some poor souls had head on crashed with their car, into a one ton dodge truck. This was on an icy patch of road, they probably had no time to prepare for if speeding. One girl was sitting on the pavement with a blanket over her shoulders, the other was laying there writhing in pain. The car had hit hard, air bag deployed on the drivers side, the passenger had taken a horrible hit. There were 4 or 5 cars and trucks helping, so we drove on. 5 or 6 minutes down the road, some volunteer firemen and rescue were coming to help, with their Red and Blue lights flashing on their trucks, and 1/2 hour or so down the road, an ambulance was speeding to them. Our hearts and prayers were, and are with the victims.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:09 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz and Sue,

I was hoping you were going to miss the snow! We decided to stay home for the weekend after hearing that I-70 was closed Thursday night due to snow.

The population of people that drive that road to Cripple Creek changed when they opened up gambling. Now there is a lot more traffic with a mix of alcohol and the party spirit. I don't think I've ever driven that road without seeing an accident. Last trip we passed two Fire Trucks on the side of the road, and a bunch of fireman looking over the edge. Don't even want to know what they were seeing.

Be CAREFUL!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brad and Dory,
We were hoping to meet you, but I know the Montana is ill, how is that going? I know it is upsetting, we wish you the best on that deal.
Going into the Springs to do some shopping today.
Take care, Ozz and Sue
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,
Spent the day at an axle shop. They aligned the axles (not off too far) and had to use a press to put the spring hangers back to square. Took care of my rub problem so far. Still haven't heard back from Keystone on the front yet, but I imagine they are tied up with the rally.

We've decided to take the weekend and play locally a little. Probably take a drive tomorrow to see what we can see as far a leaves turning.

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote